Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
Oh yeah....one of my properties has had it behind in a fallow field. First saw it about 10 years ago, it gets huge! Never really knew what it was till they made a big deal about it. On the radio all the time now about the "hogweed hotline". Was brought to this country as an "ornamental"...go figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the pics I see, it looks like a very beautiful ornamental - maybe they should have researched it more first before bringing it to the states...
 

·
Forward, into the fray!
Joined
·
3,681 Posts
From the picture it looks like hemlock or bishops weed. Both are poisonous if consumed, but the sap doesn't blister. It gets 5 ft., but is not sturdy. It's delicate and lacy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,261 Posts
Have had some down along the river since everything flooded in 2007....
Been mowing when able but does get in the brush where I can't get to...

DW brushed up against a stub that I had moved....
Reacts with sunlight the burn was about 6" long by 1" wide in about an hour.

Nasty stuff......!!!!!
 

·
Homesteader
Joined
·
4,145 Posts
From the picture it looks like hemlock or bishops weed. Both are poisonous if consumed, but the sap doesn't blister. It gets 5 ft., but is not sturdy. It's delicate and lacy.


The updated links show a better picture and it is not hemlock. Like you said, the stalk is tender and the leaves are lacy. I'm not familiar with Bishop's weed, I'll have to look it up.

The last few years a lot of hemlock has proliferated in my area. I've pretty much eliminated it by cutting it when it is blooming but my neighbors still have it so It will likely be a yearly effort. I've tried to encourage them to cut it too to limit it's spread but they aren't too concerned about it "because the cows haven't eaten it". If it was the same plant, by this time I'd be very blistered and blind. :) I've seen where some people have sprayed fence rows and everything else is brown and the hemlock is still green and standing. I don't know if it will eventually die from spraying or not.

Back to the OP, the hogweed sounds like pretty nasty stuff.
 

·
Homesteader
Joined
·
4,145 Posts
From the picture it looks like hemlock or bishops weed. Both are poisonous if consumed, but the sap doesn't blister. It gets 5 ft., but is not sturdy. It's delicate and lacy.


The updated links show a better picture and it is not hemlock. Like you said, the stalk is tender and the leaves are lacy. I'm not familiar with Bishop's weed, I'll have to look it up.

The last few years a lot of hemlock has proliferated in my area. I've pretty much eliminated it by cutting it when it is blooming but my neighbors still have it so It will likely be a yearly effort. I've tried to encourage them to cut it too to limit it's spread but they aren't too concerned about it "because the cows haven't eaten it". If it was the same plant, by this time I'd be very blistered and blind. :) I've seen where some people have sprayed fence rows and everything else is brown and the hemlock is still green and standing. I don't know if it will eventually die from spraying or not.

Back to the OP, the hogweed sounds like pretty nasty stuff. Hemlock poison is what Socrates was forced to drink. Works like an OD of narcotic. Paralyses the breathing appatus.
 

·
Layman
Joined
·
2,873 Posts
I thought it looked like hemlock as well... it doesn't grow around me but can you eat the roots? I heard that wild parsnips will blister you up pretty bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Thanks for the link to LASAR's info page

My first thoughts were that it seems to resemble Queen Anne's lace and Hemlock, and be related to wild carrot...that is correct.

What nasty stuff!

FYI, wild carrot greens look similar to your garden carrot. I picked one and the carrot is white. A way to tell edible carrots from poisonous look-alikes is that they do smell like cultivated carrots. However, they are tough with lots of off-shoot roots wrapped around the main root...couldn't cut it with a kitchen knife. I bit in and it tasted okay but is too tough on the teeth.

It dawned on my afterwards...I should have cooked it then cut it.

FYI, the tiny little "bulb" connecting a violet stem to its roots also tastes mildly like carrot. I try to pick individual leaves and leave the plant be so it can perpetuate itself, but if I accidentally pull up a plant, I enjoy the "bulb". (The entire violet is edible.) I use violet greens and flowers as salad...YUM!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top