Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(This is for WROL/APOC scenario).

BOL is sister's res.
The BOL is approx. 30 acre woods, rectangular, surrounded by fields.

I suggested to the BIL and sis we should be able to see any approaching threats if the world turns to crappola.

So, we discussed towers. They approve of constructing them.
As guard towers, I think they should have a means of RAPID escape if incoming fire becomes too overbearing. The front and sides would be armored as well. a staircase or ladder may become a problem for quick escape.

At first I thought a "fireman pole" would do the trick, then I settled on the "fast rope." method.
Not shiny and not ricocheting bullets off a pole. can be rolled up to platform.

Ideally they would be about 10-20 ft. high, depending on location.
The property is relatively higher elevation than surrounding fields.

These towers would be "within" the woods a little. They would be camouflaged. may pour concrete in base support posts.

Maybe 5x5-7 ft wide. depends on if fastrope is "within" the tower or not. IDKY. lol.

According to the layout of BOL and surrounding properties, I think 5 or 6 towers would suffice.

Easy materials to obtain right now are concrete and wood beams. and pallet/skids.

Bolts and sand/steel plating.

Camo netting for various seasons.

Communications may be implemented in the future.
So, I am curious if anyone has done something like this, or any have ideas/add-ons, that would be cool.

imagesALEGQYHA.jpg

images0TSA7FAE.jpg

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,901 Posts
Since you're surrounded by fields, I'm wondering what the advantage to the watchtowers would be. To see further and in more directions than a ground lookout post?

If I were to attack you, my first considered decision would be to snipe lookouts in the watchtower.

Yeah, they might be armored (how much will THAT cost?), but will lookouts need to stick their heads up? And on top of that, how many people will you need to effect a 24/7 rotation of lookouts? Do you have that many?

Finally, does a watchtower signal to others there's something worth guarding?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, we considered "snipers" too.

I believe there are over threads involving "sniping", counter-snipers.

The Idea of the towers is to look far out and observe, especially for "snipers." Or more like marauders, raiders. Anyone with the intent to infiltrate the BOL.

- We have discussed NVGs and some Thermal scopes too for the future.
These will be utilized for scanning the horizon in conjunction with the towers.
The thermals will most likely be "passed around" on a rotation.
Depends on the situation.

The towers will be within the woods ideally enough to not "stand out" even without camouflage.
We "should" spot them before they can determine if they want to proceed raiding the BOL.
the openings/windows will be camouflaged/concealed in a way to not let outsiders totally/obviously see the tower guards. not like your console video games.

Critique away.
Although the first response was somewhat immature in my opinion. Totally bashing the concept. Must have just got done playing freakin social fad COD or MOH or something, camping, quick scoping and all that. Or keeps getting shot by the snipers. mmmph

This thread was meant to be for the construction aspect of the towers.
Not necessarily the tactics and logistics of infiltration. Other threads for that stuff.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
If you really want to be stealth and watch just use trees stands easily moveable to keep prying binocular eyes guessing and you blend in a lot better. Also here in Texas there are a lot of hunting blinds on stands(lack of trees) that dot the landscape a few more wouldn't cause suspicion, unless you construct something that looks like it should guard Auschwitz.

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
Why wouldn't a plain old deer blind work? I've seen them way up in the air in some places, higher than I would want to climb. If your main purpose is to use it simply for observation and it wouldn't need to be armored, a deer blind would be less noticeable than an odd looking tower that would definitely attract attention.

Don't know about where you are, but deer blinds are a dime a dozen around here, and most people don't give them a second glance, even the ones 20 ft. up, or higher. Maybe something so common would not be as conspicuous as a different looking tower. And you could still do the quick escape down through the center.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Yah, I'm going along with the tree blinds & such mentioned above.

In a SHTF/WROL type world, I'd want to know what the goings on are much much further out from the homestead than what you mention.

That means talking with the "neighbors", and setting up as appropriate on one of there lands (one would imagine, giving your 30 acres). Tree stands would be far easier to do just that & camoflage appropriately as the season merits.

Mutual security would come into play here, info sharing, exactly whom the "neighbors" might be hoping are coming home etc etc etc.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
(This is for WROL/APOC scenario).

BOL is sister's res.
The BOL is approx. 30 acre woods, rectangular, surrounded by fields.

I suggested to the BIL and sis we should be able to see any approaching threats if the world turns to crappola.

So, we discussed towers. They approve of constructing them.
As guard towers, I think they should have a means of RAPID escape if incoming fire becomes too overbearing. The front and sides would be armored as well. a staircase or ladder may become a problem for quick escape.

At first I thought a "fireman pole" would do the trick, then I settled on the "fast rope." method.
Not shiny and not ricocheting bullets off a pole. can be rolled up to platform.

Ideally they would be about 10-20 ft. high, depending on location.
The property is relatively higher elevation than surrounding fields.

These towers would be "within" the woods a little. They would be camouflaged. may pour concrete in base support posts.

Maybe 5x5-7 ft wide. depends on if fastrope is "within" the tower or not. IDKY. lol.

According to the layout of BOL and surrounding properties, I think 5 or 6 towers would suffice.

Easy materials to obtain right now are concrete and wood beams. and pallet/skids.

Bolts and sand/steel plating.

Camo netting for various seasons.

Communications may be implemented in the future.
So, I am curious if anyone has done something like this, or any have ideas/add-ons, that would be cool.

View attachment 228753

View attachment 228761
instead of fastrope get a manual/electric winch that can lower casualties

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,724 Posts
Cost of construction per tower would probably be $1000-3000 if you're thinking of armor plating it sufficient to hold off a deer rifle. So for 5-7 towers, that's $5000 or upwards of $20,000 ...

Being in a watch tower would be a sniper bait or a death trap. And if you see someone toss down a rope, you just put your sites at the base and fire when they land....

I'm in the camp of using CCTV cameras. For the cost of a few watch towers you could have 50 game trail cameras well hidden, and 1 person safely monitoring them. I have many around my property and inside my home. On one screen I can see everything (and record it) around my property from the comfort of my couch not exposed to elements or gunfire.

It's more effective, efficient, and safer. The only issue is power supply. Invest in some form of battery power and recharging, and a big generator.

Second I'd supplement that with some dear blinds, maybe even tunnels for movement, and good communication and early warning systems like trip wires and motion activated sirens or cameras or flood lights are alarm lights inside. Totally hidden recon abilities. Maybe low tech communication abilities too. Whistles, cowbells, whatever.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Cost of construction per tower would probably be $1000-3000 if you're thinking of armor plating it sufficient to hold off a deer rifle. So for 5-7 towers, that's $5000 or upwards of $20,000 ...

Being in a watch tower would be a sniper bait or a death trap. And if you see someone toss down a rope, you just put your sites at the base and fire when they land....

I'm in the camp of using CCTV cameras. For the cost of a few watch towers you could have 50 game trail cameras well hidden, and 1 person safely monitoring them. I have many around my property and inside my home. On one screen I can see everything (and record it) around my property from the comfort of my couch not exposed to elements or gunfire.

It's more effective, efficient, and safer. The only issue is power supply. Invest in some form of battery power and recharging, and a big generator.

Second I'd supplement that with some dear blinds, maybe even tunnels for movement, and good communication and early warning systems like trip wires and motion activated sirens or cameras or flood lights are alarm lights inside. Totally hidden recon abilities. Maybe low tech communication abilities too. Whistles, cowbells, whatever.
can alwayse put a solar trickle charger up in the tree tops after a bit of careful pruning.

but honestly in the woodline or not you have a straight box that will stand out to the human eye and unless you got them at say 8 stories up your not going to have that much better a view than a climbing treestand with a much higher visibility signature.

as to the base of the tower in Iraq we had some 8 story ones they sides going up had Kevlar blankets while I doubt hes going to have that for a home made tower any skirting or netting would prevent easy tracking of movement behind it.

but honestly I think hes better off investing the $$ in a used garden tractor and a few implements and a corn crib and some other stuff

·
Super Moderator
12,218 Posts
I would definitely have some long range surveillance cameras installed, along with audio sensors, and ground sensors.

But human eyes can be very useful, too. There are several ways to approach this. Some have already been mentioned.

Not all of these will apply to the OP situation, but are included because I am too lazy to remove them from the article. So, some of mine are:

1. When the house is built, or, actually, when the plans are drawn up, incorporate one or two cupolas, preferably armored. If one in the center of the roof gives enough field of view, that would work. Or you can place one at each end of the house. May or may not be high enough for what you need.

2. Another option is a watch tower, but not a big box on four legs. One form is a tall used power pole, add screw-in steps to climb straight up, or using DIY or commercial spiral staircase steps to get up to a fairly narrow shelf built around the pole. With a safety harness to avoid falling, a person can stand on the shelf and keep an eye on things. Possible additions are a seat that can be rotated around the pole. A rail can be added. Even an overhead umbrella for sun and rain protection. This one leaves a person exposed. It would be best to wear body armor.

3. A similar structure can be made with a steel pole, with the other details pretty much the same.

4. An option with the steel pole is to mount it on a short pole and hinge it so it can be folded down, out of sight when not needed.

5. Similar to the highline pole, a spiral staircase can be constructed as a freestanding structure ending in a larger platform than that on the pole only, say four or five feet in diameter. Railed if wanted, and/or roofed.

6. Any of the above can be explained as something other than it actually is intended to be used. One thing, if there is enough room on the property, is to use the tower as one end anchor for a zip line. Or, whether or not it needs them, guys can be used on the tower, from which various structures can be suspended underneath to avoid using inside poles, such as greenhouses, clotheslines, dog run-lines, and so on. If you need any sort of antennas, the structure can be used as the tower mount.

7. Also, the house can be used as part of the tower structure, rather than making it free standing.

8. A true antenna tower can be used, especially one with a climbing aid, to get you up high quickly, as well as down quickly.

9. Some of the ideas can incorporate some armor, probably in the form of earth or sand, either in sand bags, or as fill in wall built a couple or more feet thick. Can be just high enough to crouch behind. Would not hurt to have the floor covered with a couple feet of earth, either, if it is an enclosed structure.

10. If it is an enclosed structure, I would not use glass, for sure, in any windows. Lexan if absolute necessary to have it closed in. Otherwise just openings. And they need not be very large. Think gun slit or arrow slit type.

11. Do not forget to have a means to signal the house or whoever/whatever it is you are protecting. Radio is fine (as long as no EMP), but can use a shielded light using a blinking light code, red or green laser (aimed at a reflective board that the person can look at, not at the person).

12. For quick exit, the zipline as described, a weighted drop line, (similar to the assisted tower climbing system), or one of the various forms of upper story fire escape systems (Friction tube or controlled release cable system. The controlled release cable system is easy to DIY with a simple cable drum with a larger diameter plate attached to one end, mounted so a good long throw shock absorber can be attached to moderate the speed of the drum.)

13. If three people can be sent to the observation point, the lookout point can be very simple, with only a tie-off point near the top, a seat that can be folded down, and a quick-exit system installed. No climbing system, except perhaps some guides. Two of the people have a push pole with a padded seat. The look-out shimmies up the pole three or four feet, the two guys have the push pole ready, and when the look-out is up a bit they use the push pole to help him climb the rest of the way up, where he snaps his harness into the tie-off point, folds down the seat, and secures himself with a seat belt. The two guys go off to do other things. Requires the look-out to be wearing an appropriate ghillie suit and body armor.

Feel free to ask questions if you want clarification or further explanation.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I know you don't want advice on tactics and logistics, but as afghan contractor I feel I have to point out a few things.

Use of towers for defence are advanced tactics.. Significant manning for picket rotations, facing threats they require expert drills to enter and exit, fight from and coordinate comms. Also often work best when they can cover one another. It can be tough even for experienced forces, you can easily get folks killed in them.

I think you need to be realistic about the idea of having regular folks cut off in multiple outer perimetre 'seiges' shooting at enemy, taking fire and having to 'rope out' to escape, not to mention defending a permiter you would normally prefer a couple of infantry companies to handle...cmon....

Maybe you do have the numbers and training? My plan would more be around observation, getting family back to safety and real defensive structures, rather than defending a bunch of trees.

Couple of centralised obs towers , preferably nearer the house, or part of it as Jerry says. Clear trees back from your outer perimetre to form an observation zone (or killing zone) before the woods.(also good fence if you can afford it) . Not sure of your lands topo, but 30 acres is only 1200x1200ft square,you can maintain visual of this zone from more central observations, and will only require a few family to man them.

·
Golfer
4,464 Posts
How long can a guard last in a watchtower in January in Indianan? For 5 towers you will need ten or 15 people. Who will be doing all the other survival things, IOW, what percentage of your people will be on guard duty? Seems inefficient to me.

What is the guard supposed to do when he sees a small band of people on the road, start shooting or call for the others to abandon their posts and come to the rescue or wait till the strangers come close enough to talk?

As for escape, what about a bungee cord?

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
How long can a guard last in a watchtower in January in Indianan? For 5 towers you will need ten or 15 people. Who will be doing all the other survival things, IOW, what percentage of your people will be on guard duty? Seems inefficient to me.

What is the guard supposed to do when he sees a small band of people on the road, start shooting or call for the others to abandon their posts and come to the rescue or wait till the strangers come close enough to talk?

As for escape, what about a bungee cord?
at hypothetically 4 8hr shifts a day and min 2 people per tower you would need 40 folks minimum to man the towers

then you gotta ask how are you observing things at night? now your dropping another 3k for decent night vision per tower.

and you still have nothing that helps grow food

1 - 20 of 70 Posts