Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 626 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hesitated on posting this and I could have placed it in Manmade and Natural Disasters or Disaster Preparedness General Discussion.
But, it mostly pertains to food preps and where we are headed. The implications will no doubt cross into any of our subforums. I just figured that our bellies speak louder than most conditions. I have been warning the Mods for a few weeks and the following is tonight's warning. So, it is a quote. I am very tired but wanted to get this out there before I collapse. The heat here has kicked my ass. Lol

I am going to tell you now to stock up on things while it is cheap enough. Both meat and grain. Check and double check for a 3 year rough ride and this is based on the expectation of Fall rains to set us up for Spring. If we don't get that, the markets are going to be rocked.
He and fellow ranchers have sold off the yearlings trying to save feed for the cows so that they can breed. And they are not even sure if that is wise coming into Fall.
And there is no feed. A normal year yields 35 to 40 bushels an acre, the updated forecast for MT is 6 bushels an acre of poor quality grain. This is coming from the 4th largest wheat producer in the Nation. Canada is fairing worse, as is ND. Much of Europe is being flooded out. So, yeah. Increasing demand and poor performance is leading to something bad. My hackles are up on this one.
And it is not just wheat, the Farmers and Ranchers are getting seriously concerned. They tell me it is worse than '88 and they are approaching the nightmare of the great depression. The Government tells us it is worse weatherwise, so far, with tech, they have been hedging. This is no longer viable and people are writing the losses off. The Grasshopper kill has been the nail in what was a hard year. They have stopped spraying to kill them as it is not worth it. As it is it costs 20 bucks an acre to spray on a normal year. They cannot keep doing this.
I am not even sure I want to post this on the main forum yet. But, I love you all and want you to be aware. The press talks about it but, they down play it as not to induce panic, especially since some States are talking lockdowns again.
I have a bad feeling about this. I have met and l know many humble farmers and ranchers. The fear in their eyes is telling. The jovial persona is just not there this week. The hope was there 2 weeks ago..... So please, do what you know to do.
Sky Wood Grass Land lot Rectangle

·
Forum Administrator
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Well, I haven't got a clue how to read AG reports.

However, lemme see. Freeze of the century in Texas this year. Heat wave of the century in the Pacific Northwest/Canada. Another massive heat dome covering just about all the country but the NE coming up. Drought conditions, increasingly severe in the whole SW, but serious drought in the upper western states across into the upper Midwest as well. Raging fires all across the drought areas. Rains came recently in some of those areas, but they were short, hard flooding and soil-eroding rains. There is also a predicted very bad hurricane season this year. Affected regions include our major produce, orchard, and grain growing areas.

And yes, Central Europe just had a once in a millennium level of widespread flooding and other crazy climate conditions there as well. Major flooding in China, too. So there will continue to be large exports to countries where shortages drive prices even higher than here.

Plus a nasty Covid variant is revving up and going to cause more problems in processing plants and food distribution and the supply chain as a whole by fall if I don't miss my guess.

And that much has gotten through to me while I have tried to studiously avoid keeping up with the news. I don't think you need to be able to read an AG report to predict major price rises/shortages at the supermarket in our future or to think it's a good idea to restock to the gills during this lull in the pandemic. I've been saying that to people for some months now.

2,350 Posts
Will be a BOOM in costal mid Atlantic farmers then because we have had plenty rain here and no more than normal heat... possibly less. I've been seeing mid-60's here in the early morning which is unusual. I haven't seen any rolled up heat stressed corn in quite a while. Highest temp I see forecast in the next 10 days is 92. More rain tomorrow.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Honestly as far as funding goes for preps I've converted from using extra funds to just do what I need to. I would rather not have to deal with the public at all if stuff gets crazy so I'm buying now and not worrying about it. I get folks can't do that on a fixed income or no extra cash but thank the lord I can. Get what you can now folks.

·
Republic of Texas
1,841 Posts
Honestly as far as funding goes for preps I've converted from using extra funds to just do what I need to. I would rather not have to deal with the public at all if stuff gets crazy so I'm buying now and not worrying about it. I get folks can't do that on a fixed income or no extra cash but thank the lord I can. Get what you can now folks.

Thankfully we are not in that situation in any way either but I do have a pretty strict budget I keep us to most of the time. It allows for extras of course but not the kind of extras I plan in 2 weeks so I'll wait until I originally budgeted for it.

For us, its mainly gap filling and meat. Gaps are things we have used heavily over the past 18 months since my last big stock up. I am hoping to empty 3 freezers into jars and refill them when I do all this. Hunny and I are fishing this week to (hopefully) take care of that end of it in one shot. Planning to do the rest just as I did in December 2019 and January 2020 before things went up in March; slowly and well thought out.

But as it stands, even if things were to go up tomorrow, we'd be okay for a year or so.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Drove all over north and south west Montana all last week looking for land (finally bought 20 acres). Tons of cows and calves everywhere. However, in one of the small town stores there was a farmer seriously stressed out because his hay production was down around 30%. Store clerk commented that she was hearing that from a lot of customers.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
If this is coming from MTShawn who normally is on top of any wild conspiracy will say where are the facts. This is something to pay attention too.
There is a few articles for ya.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,734 Posts
If this is coming from MTShawn who normally is on top of any wild conspiracy will say where are the facts. This is something to pay attention too.
Like every forum there are a lot of people on here who know everything except for the fact that they are full of ****. There are also a couple on here that if they say it I know that I can take it to the bank. He's one of the latter.

1 - 20 of 626 Posts