Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Beware of the dog!
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a gun show in Las Vegas today, Tactical West Gun & Knife Show. I wanted to attend to pick up some bulk .223 and 9mm target ammo and the stores around here have no bulk ammo at all. There is usually a larger gun show that comes to Las Vegas on a regular basis but they have been in town on weekends I have already made plans to be out of town. :(

Anyways, the room was too small, the aisles were too narrow, the selection was poor, and the prices were not very good. What a waste of a day.

I had purchased ammo from this seller before and got a good price The price today was nothing special. Compared to what I can get through mail order/internet purchases the cost of what I bought today couple with the cost of gas to get there and the price to get in I did not save much. Also, the variety of ammo at the show was pathetic. Bulk ammo was full metal jacket only, no soft points or hollow points at all, and the per box variety was not priced any better than the local stores. OK, I know ammo is in demand right now, so I will be happy with what I bought.

What I did notice is that the other venders had nothing to interest me either. My friend said the price for a handgun he wants was the same as the price at Bass Pro Shops. The price for generic magazines was the same as factory magazines elsewhere, and the other venders were selling cheap garbage that had nothing to do with guns. But, you could get those immitation Sham-Wow rags for cheap if you had any desire to have them.

I think I will forget the next gun show and just buy through the mail. :eek::

Reactions: blue123

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Yeah me too...i will try to get what I can now thru the mail before they close that avenue!

·
Nope.
2,099 Posts
I was there today, too.

I must concur on the lack of selection and jump in price. Supposedly the next one at Cashman (Crossroads of the West) is bigger than both of the last two. Considering I hadn't gone to a show in many years, I must admit I'm generally disappointed.

From the vendors I'd talked to, they said the one to really plan for is Crossroads of the West next weekend in Phoenix. I'm tempted. We'll see what happens with work, though. Prices are getting so high it's stupid.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
I get everything online, firearms, scopes accessories and ammo. It's always cheaper than going to a gun show. The only reason I go to the show it to get my hands on a gun that I'm interested in...Then I go home and order it online.

·
Banned
371 Posts
I go to a lot of gunshops in my daily routine business, and I've encountered sales clerks who know much more than the owner who employs them, and they tell me that their boss is ordering the wrong ammo, basically that he doesn't know how to run his own business. Maybe that's all the ammo the owner was able to procure?

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
The last show I went to was a waste as well. If you find a good local dealer to work with they may be able to get close to net pricing.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
I was there today, too.

I must concur on the lack of selection and jump in price. Supposedly the next one at Cashman (Crossroads of the West) is bigger than both of the last two. Considering I hadn't gone to a show in many years, I must admit I'm generally disappointed.

From the vendors I'd talked to, they said the one to really plan for is Crossroads of the West next weekend in Phoenix. I'm tempted. We'll see what happens with work, though. Prices are getting so high it's stupid.
Was there too- I agree, waste of our time, gas, and effort to even be there. I managed to get a great deal on a cheapie rifle....but didn't get any ammo.
The gun show at cashman a few weeks back was smaller than it normally is. I remember back in the early 90's it took up the entire forum. It SUCKS what is happening. It really sucks that we just can't seem to do anything about it.

I wish it were 1974 again. Stuff was dirt cheap- we had a lot of fun!

·
Geriatric Gladiator
682 Posts
I always take my own bag when buying bulk ammo at gun shows. Every time I have bought ammo either in a sealed container or ammo can they have shorted me 30 to 75 rounds. Now I buy the ammo, open the container in front of them and count it all out. First they look mad, then horrified as people take notice, finally as I count out they make it right.
Never take their word on quantity with bulk loose ammo

·
Beware of the dog!
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always take my own bag when buying bulk ammo at gun shows. Every time I have bought ammo either in a sealed container or ammo can they have shorted me 30 to 75 rounds. Now I buy the ammo, open the container in front of them and count it all out. First they look mad, then horrified as people take notice, finally as I count out they make it right.
Never take their word on quantity with bulk loose ammo
Very good idea. I have not yet bought loose bulk ammo, only bulk ammo by the case. It is all in the boxes of 20 for rifle or 50 for handgun and those boxes are in the cardboard case.

I will be ordering my ammo by mail next time. Actually I will be ordering a few kegs of powder to reload my own. I have everything else, just need some more powder. My reloading equipment is taken down and put away at this time, but I will be borrowing reloading time to make due for now.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have encountered the same snake oil vendors here in the BJCC in Alabama. Dated product for new or more than new prices! I will stick to the internet.

·
Premium Member
12,369 Posts
unfortunatly gun shows are not what they used to be ( a place for shooters to buy, sell,discuss and trade anything shooting related) they have become commercial/vender oriented:(. i really miss the henderson shows they were probably the best i ever attended.....
when i buy ammo i buy bulk surplus over the net.i use this for my practice sessions only and reload for all my hunting needs as i find i can load better for my particular surplus beaters than what factory loadings offer, however i did buy a case of win.7.62x54r ball 6 years ago that is absolute match quality...there are the exceptions to the rule...but...they are few and far in between..............

·
Beware of the dog!
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I, too, miss the Henderson shows. Last time I was there I bought Black Talons at less than store price. That should tell you how long ago they were around.

Mail order all the way for me now.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
if you want to go to a gun show this one is the one to go to. if you stayed for the full 18hrs(2 days) you could only spend 16sec at each table if you wanted to see it all. the pic in on the site only is showing the upper half and not all of it. there is an lower lvl that is just as big

http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/frames.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts