Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We are having some rather serios issues with our Sewer drain line from the house to the road. There is a shallow sump that sits in the back of the sellar with the access/cleanout to the sewer pipe. The pipe is old and made of some sort of clay. The plumbers left it open and now there about 3" of raw sewage,toilet paper etc in the hole and they "cant do anything about it". The house is already smelling of crap and I dont know how to deal with it. Apparently the pipe to the road is collapsed to the point where they cant just hose it down there
My question is this, is there anything I can do (short of just shoveling it into a bucket and dumping it on the edge of the property) to process this waste.
I was thinking quick lime to aid in decomposition but Im worried about methane buildup (which could happen anyway) and envoronmental concerns.
Do you folks have any ideas?

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
Is it still leaking into your house? Stopping anymore build up is the first priority.

You say that the plumbers 'left it open'. What exactly has been going on? If the plumbers have been working on your property and caused this problem then they are liable for it. I strongly suggest that you get immediate legal advice and very clearly tell the plumbers that if they don't sort the problem out you will take formal legal proceding against them, holding them liable for all damage to property and for any discomfort, inconvience and distress caused by their actions.

They will deny responsibility and try and walk away from the mess. Make sure they understand that you are serious about holding them legally liable ( a much cheaper and easier process than most people realise).

In the meantime, i'd pour a good amount of toilet bleach on the mess and at least make sure that the disease hazard was eliminated.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
sounds like its time to get yourself a 55 gallon drum cut lengthwise and filled with some diesel oil. instant port-o-potty

Reactions: TheRidgeRunner

·
Fashionably Prepared
78 Posts
I hope you have sewer line backup insurance. Read your homeowners policy - it may be in there.

I didn't - cost me $3,200 to repair from house to street. That is back in the 90s.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone!

Hi all,
I will be putting bleach on the mess later today to keep the stuff clean until the plumber comes on monday. I guess its only partially collapsed and there is a bend built into the line. I unfortunatly cant do the diesel thing as the house is in the city of Rome NY. I will have far more freedom once the retreat land is purchased. This also gave me insight into how to deal with this stuff after the Fall
Thanx again for all the advice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts