Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Skeptic
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I got a WASR 10 a while back, and have been having a major issue with jamming. Rounds get stuck right in the I guess magazine well area, and an only be removed by pulling out the bolt. I was shooting steel cased ammunition through TAPCO polymer magazines. My question is: are the jams caused by the ammunition, the magazines, or something else? Thanks in advance.

·
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus
1,166 Posts
With my wasr i have only had problems with the tapco mags, but a simple file to the inside edge where the tip off the bullet points at inside the mag fixed all my problems. I filed it down just a little so the bullet could get inserted by the bolt carrier with no probs. ill post a pic for ya...

·
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus
1,166 Posts
sorry these were with my cell. You can see the little curved areas where I filed this mag down. I havnt had any problems since.

:thumb:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Hey folks. I got a WASR 10 a while back, and have been having a major issue with jamming. Rounds get stuck right in the I guess magazine well area, and an only be removed by pulling out the bolt. I was shooting steel cased ammunition through TAPCO polymer magazines. My question is: are the jams caused by the ammunition, the magazines, or something else? Thanks in advance.
The problems are caused by the fact that Century Arms hires blind bats to assemble the guns, and they have no gunsmith on the premises...

I wouldn't touch a Century with a ten foot pole.

They are SO stupid....There are cases of Century being caught letting Fully Automatic rifles through the "remanufacturing" process, and being sold by unknowing retailers....

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me....

r m

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I used to like Century....until.......I had enough experience with them....

Then I learned that there is a reason why people com[plain about them....

r m

·
Space Cadet
656 Posts
My WASR feeds reliably from the two steel mags that came with it and used surplus steel mags I've picked up later (which I'd rate from excellent to good condition). Haven't tried Tapcos but expect that's the problem. Hopefully hy8us' mod above will help, otherwise I'd pick up some commie mags or try to borrow some to test. Last ones I got were $10 each at a gun show but more often I've seen them for $15-20.

I shoot surplus (corrosive) and newer steel case with no problems so doubt it's your ammo. Of course that's the easiest thing to change so try that along with steel mags. If you still have a problem with ammo and mags known to be good in another AK then it is possible something's wrong with the WASR's magwell since Century does ream it out for double stack mags. I kind of doubt it's the WASR though, usually Century does an adequate job and most are reliable.

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
Two suggestions...

1. get a couple of steel, eastern bloc magazines, & make certain they are seated properly...

2. it looks like you are shooting HP ammo (vs. FMJ). I have heard anecdotally that the combo of tapco plastic mags & HP rounds in a WASR = FTF...

Go with the factory intended recipe of FMJ + steel mags and it would not surprise me if you could not duplicate the problem... Let us know how it works out...

·
Firearm Enthusiast
367 Posts
The problems are caused by the fact that Century Arms hires blind bats to assemble the guns, and they have no gunsmith on the premises...

They are SO stupid....There are cases of Century being caught letting Fully Automatic rifles through the "remanufacturing" process, and being sold by unknowing retailers....

r m
Ease up on the Century battering. Are they Arsenal quality? No. Do they even ATTEMPT to convey their products as Arsenal quality? No. Every manufacturer has its troubles. Even Arsenal's quality has gone down lately and Lancaster is producing dangerous weapons due to over-sized gas ports.

Century produces an affordable AKM clone that will shoot relatively straight and usually be very reliable. This case is an exception. I don't own a WASR, but I know a lot of people that love them. They're a great beater rifle that you don't have worry about scraping, scratching, or dropping. So while your $800 Arsenal beauty queen sits in the safe or does a light day at the range, someone else can get some worry-free, practical training done with a cheap WASR.

Do you have documentation to back up the claim about Century letting "fully automatic" rifles through their remanufacturing process? Do you even know about the production of the WASR? They're assembled from surplus and new parts that are fitted to a U.S.-import legal, single stack receiver. The Romanian Cugir factory then ships the sporting rifles into the country and they're distributed to a number of smaller, contracted machine shops. Those shops open up the mag wells and install the necessary U.S. parts to make them legal. The rifles are then sold to gun shops across the country. Through the above process, it eliminates almost any chance of a "fully automatic" rifle entering the country, let alone being sold. Check your facts before you start spreading misinformation and lies.

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
Almost all problems I've seen are mag. issues. But open it up and look at the barrel and feed ramp, is there a deposit of copper at 6 o'clock of the bore? or scrape marks on the feed ramp( between the mag. and barrel), look for burrs or loose parts. hollow points don't feed well in some AK's. Bulgy steel mags. are cheep and seem to work well in century guns. There's so much slack in AK's , dose anything bind or hang up when you cycle it on a empty mag?

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Well said mrtoren. My WASR shoots great. People love to bash the WASR...

To the OP, IMO, Tapco puts out an inferior product. It sounds like your describing a failure to feed to issue. I'd bet that steel surplus mags will fix the malfunction.

TAPCO IS NOT FOR ME

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
steel sovbloc magazines are cheap enough where you can go through- say J&G sales, buy a bulk order of 20 surplus magazines, then clean and function test the lot. whatever doesn't work right just send back for replacement or refund the difference.

Reactions: Vergeltung

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts

r m
I don't know if they have blind bats but i could swear they have retarded monkeys.....

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
AK mags are made of metal by Eastern European countries for a reason......Because they work in Eastern European guns....

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
This is a magazine problem. Century makes acceptable rifles.

Reactions: Vergeltung

·
DEFCON 4
6,583 Posts
also loose the hp ammo. i had that problem with mine as well. they kept getting jammed. use fmj ammo.. also do what dwind says, he has his s%#@ together when it comes to this stuff....:thumb:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts