Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
I would go with the WASR-10 Hi Cap. They are still cheap and shoot good I have no problems. Like Kev says in one of his videos he can tie it to a four wheeler and not worry about it getting scratched or not working. Mine will eat any ammo I put in it and I have found some mags fit tighter. My 20 rounders fit tight.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
WASR. a civvy legal RPK is a heavier built, longer barreled AK with none of the full auto advantages that makes an RPK a SAW anyway. The longer barrel in an AK set up actually makes it a little less accurate, because the lower tolerances that make the system work so reliably also allow for a LOT of barrel wobble and torque. I think the RPK has a heavier barrel- so barrel torgue may not be the big issue I think it is.

·
Registered
75 Posts
WASR. a civvy legal RPK is a heavier built, longer barreled AK with none of the full auto advantages that makes an RPK a SAW anyway. The longer barrel in an AK set up actually makes it a little less accurate, because the lower tolerances that make the system work so reliably also allow for a LOT of barrel wobble and torque. I think the RPK has a heavier barrel- so barrel torgue may not be the big issue I think it is.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. If you were talking about the AES10 then yes it's more or less a WASR with extended barrel. If you go with the AES10B or Yugo M72 then you'll get all the advantages of an RPK except of course the full atuo.

AES10B / Yugo M72

Pros

-More Accurate has to do with the distance between the sights
-Heavy barrel- much less recoil and muzzle rise quick follow up shots
-Bipod
-Carrying Handle

Cons

-Heavy but in my opinion worth it

Bought one a few months ago and have really been surprised with the accruacy of it. If you get the AES10B as opposed to the M72, it's going to be more rough around the edges. But if you have the time to correct some minor issues, I really don't think you can beat it for the price.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I would just go with the WASR-10 Hi Cap and never look back. The price differnce is ammo money. The big chunk of money for me right now is going to ammo as I can when I can. I want some AR ammo and man its tough the price is just crazy makes me with I never built one and took that money and bought five or so bricks of AK ammo.

Remember the money you spend is less money for mags and ammo. AIMs has a good price on mags right now and ammo. WASR 10 Hi cap never look back its an AK and does what its ment to do.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
RPK will be too heavy for comfortable personal use.

I have a WASR10 with over 17,000 rounds through it (Mostly in shooting classes)

and it has LESS than 10 failures. (Including ammo failures and operator error)

Remind me to post pix when I get a new computer shortly... I have pix of both.

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
WASR if its your first AK. they are lighter and easier to lug around then an RPK. If you are wanting a cool guy gun and have other preps in order then go for the RPK. There is something cool about having a gun thats whole purpose in life is for suppressive fire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts