Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions for the gurus out there- I have a typical Romanian WASR-10, it has been dependable to the last, I have put over 4,000 rounds through it and haven't babied it much... I've only cleaned it a few times in five years... Over the last thousand rounds I did a lot of bump firing...just having fun and my brother provokes me to do it.. anyways, that took it's toll on the gun- it now has developed trigger slap... and a pretty good case of it where none was before.
So that got me to thinking... today I field stripped the whole thing to clean it and take a better look.... wow is all I can say. There is (was) a thick layer of that red shalack from the cheap wolf ammo all through the gun- it took me hours to clean it all out. What I noticed in the process was that some parts were starting to show a fair amount of wear, most looked normal for a broken in gun and some was alarming, like the gas piston head... it at first looked to have build up on it but when I tried to clean it I realized it was not going to come off... it is for lack of a better term, burnt if not somewhat melted..?
SO- here's my dilema... should I replace the cheapo trigger system with a new high quality american made one, buy a new piston, and keep on shoot'n up the northwoods (most all my ammo is still the lacquered worlf stuff) OR do you think I would be better off to go and buy a new AK?
Oh yeah, one last question... the trigger system I have is a single version with just one arm that catches the hammer... can I replace that with a double? Is there any advantage of a double over a single trigger?
Thanks for your time-!!

·
Elitist Gun Snob
1,365 Posts
Just replace the trigger group with a new Tapco G2 set. You should be able to replace the one arm with a double, if I remember correctly. A double is a stronger system, and distributes pull evenly, eliminating a lot of the pull and slap of the trigger.

If the gas piston is truly that distorted and not just caked in melted lacquer, then replace it as well. Piston's are cheap and so are trigger groups. Much cheaper than spending $400 on a new WASR 10.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the quick help- I wanted to go with that double trigger pull but didn't want to order one (39.00) only to find out it doesn't fit. I think I might look into buying one of those parts kits they sell that would have the piston with it, then I might get a few extra parts on hand in case something else goes on me... time to go shopping and time to research the trigger system.. (I've never taken that trigger group out before). If anybody has suggestions for good places online to buy ak parts I'm all ears too by the way- Thanks again

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
I would simply spray it down with break cleaner and keep going, the horrible trigger pull will build character. :D

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
my reccomendation is to not own a WASR-10. its a good little plinker, but the majority of the wasr's have canted sights and the gas tubes are not straight. also there is a ton on mag wobble because the mag well dosent have dimples to hold it steady that it can in some cases cause the gun to jam. best bet is to grab an sar-1 romanian or to look for a MAK-90 norinco. my friend just picked up a nice mak 90 yesterday and when you compare that and his wasr side by side the build quality between the two is incredible.

also, you should try to clean your ak regularly, they come apart easily enough that theres not really a reason to not clean it. i reccomend Kano Kroil. it will clean the gun up really well and keep it well lubricated without a ton of oil being wet all over.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You refer to it as a plinker but it's shooting the same or larger round than most others out there-? The canted sights... 1) I'm lucky, mine are perfectly alligned, straight as an arrow. 2) doesn't matter, I'm not planning on doing any long range fighting with it, I have other rifles for long range. If mine is ever used in a SHTF situation it will because I'm defending my property 3)magazine wobble- WAY over talked about... you say it causes jams? I've put 4000+ round through this one, not one jam (in spite of not cleaning it much) The quality of a Norinco MAK90 is certainly higher than that of a WASR but so is the price tag and I'm really not a fan at all of buying anything made in china. I would recamend you clean your more frequently though... typically the higher "quality" AK's out on the market tend to jam easier than the cheap ones... quality is a double edged sword.. I'm refering to cases using the cheap wolf ammo that many of us have.. my wasr will chew it up and spit it out all day long... I'm guessing if you use that ammo in yours and not clean it you would be the one having the jams (some battlefiend type situations might not allow you to break it down and clean every few hundred rounds) On the other hand yours is probably going to be more accurate- but if I owned one ( I would like to have one of those also) I would only shoot the better grade ammo and with the way things are going lately I don't know if I would be able to aford it.. All things considered I really like my "plinker!"

·
Registered
138 Posts
im not bagging on the rifle as bad as you make it sound like i am dude. build quality on the wasr is all over the board. if you got one of the few without canted sights then yours will be fine because the gas tube should also be lined up straight as well. the mag wobble is talked about alot because some of the wasr's have a lot more than others. my friend has owned two now and the first one he had wobbled alot and the gun jammed frequently. the one he has now hasnt jammed yet, and the wobble it has is less than the first one, but the sights are pretty canted and the gas tube isnt straight and shifted the last time we shot it.

an ak however, regardless of make will chew up the wolf ammo no problem. even the new saiga ak models shoot the wolf ammo really well.

and regardless of who made the ak, it comes apart so easily that you should clean it after shooting just because you can and that way youll always know its in tip top shape.

where i am i can get a wasr for 370.

my friend got the mak 90 for 500 and it "came" with a 75 round drum mag.

and as far as buying things made in china, i tend to make exceptions when it comes to russian designed rifles because they typically run number two in quality and are cheaper than their russian counterparts.

and i refer to the ak the same way i refer to a 22 as being a plinker because the ammo is cheap and you can shoot it all day for just a few bills. and unless youre fighting off OPFOR, there isnt much use for it aside from plinking.

sorry if i came off as being a jerk man, i just like talking about guns and i didnt mean any ill will

:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, I appologize, I got my undies in a bundle cuz you called it a plinker, I hear what you're saying and actually agree with most of it. I would call a mak 90 with 75 round drum for 500 a steal- as for the sights and wobble on the wasr- I still really think that it is over rated, I guess I'm bias because I've got a good one. Mine does have some mag wobble but it really doesn't bother me any, like I said, to date, 4000+ rounds and not a jam. It has developed some other problems like trigger slap but that didn't happen until I started to bump fire it all the time. I also read somwhere that some of the better guns like the saiga will have problems if they shoot the good ammo, heat up the gun, and then you put in wolf with the laquer.. I think I read that on here someplace..

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
WB edited to specific:
and i refer to the ak the same way i refer to a 22 as being a plinker because the ammo is cheap and you can shoot it all day for just a few bills. and unless youre fighting off OPFOR, there isnt much use for it aside from plinking.
Jester,
Are you talking about the WASR or the AK-47 in general. If in general, I have to take exception to the statement "isn't much use for it aside from plinking".

The AK-47 is the most successful combat weapon I know of. Used all over the world by all kinds of people. Significant enough to be included on one countries flag and another countrys coinage.

I will grant that the 7.62x39 cartridge isn't up there with 7.62x51 or 7.62x54R but then again it never was intended to be.

The cartridge is lethal within it's design parameters. (Ballistically essentially equivalent to a 30/30. 30/30's have taken more deer (An animal which happens to run in the man sized range) than any other cartridge).

The weapon itself is acceptable accuracy within it's design parameters. Hitting a man sized target out to 200 or so meters.

It's more than a plinker, it's a very good Close Quarter Combat weapon whose lethality has been and continues to be proven.

And yes, it is fun to plink with.

·
Registered
138 Posts
as i said tho wolf, unless youre fighting off OPFOR, its not much good for hunting regardless of the lethality of the round. the gun overall isnt accurate enough (aside from the new saiga sporting 7.62) to be used in a regular hunting situation. it is a fantastic gun (AK47) and tough as nails and will work in nearly any environment and beg for more. unless youre in a EOTWAWKI situation and thats ALL you have to hunt with, you wont choose that rifle over a proper hunting rifle which therefore relegates the AK47 to being a combat/plinker(aka fun target shooting) rifle.

its the most successful combat weapon in the world because its cheap, plentiful, and durable.

but how often do you find yourself in combat on the way to get your mail?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, do either of you two or anybody else know for sure this: I have the single trigger but ordered a double... will it install in the rifle or will it depend on the reciever or it won't work? One person told me they thought it would be fine and another said that you can't put a double in where a single was without reciever modification-

·
Registered
138 Posts
youll need to modify the reciever. if you flip the gun over and look at the reciever where the trigger moves and you pull it, youll only see the one slot for the single hook... at least i think you will. i could be wrong. anyways, if there is a slot where that hook on the trigger is, youll need to modify, if there isnt, it shouldnt be a problem and the double hook should just fit in the same way.

im rather tired though, so i hope that made some sense

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
According to one manufacturer "They can be used in stamped receiver rifles designed for single-hook triggers by making a small notch in the receiver inside the trigger guard to make room for the extra hook."

http://www.globaltrades.com/ak_firecntrlparts.html

They are out of stock, but I am pretty sure a G-2 is very close to the same parts. Now rebuild that bad boy and let em fly :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I'm doing a big re build on it and I have already gotten way too carried away! Nice adjustable butstock, quad rail for grips... new trigger system... oh boy.. this is gonna be costly, I can see it already BUT it will look cool and be more durable and serve it's purpose a little better... think I will go with flashlight and low powered scop (more for spotting that actually aiming) don't know what else... I'll post pics when done though!

·
One Shot One Kill
70 Posts
keep rockin with the Wasr 10! I also have no jams or any type of failure to feed. Mine came with the G2 single hook, I love it, it makes it very smooth. Mine was a good one , no cant and a touch of wobble but it has no effect on the weapon at all. I wish it didnt get so darn hot but if thats the worst it does I can always bring an oven mit to the range next time.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would suggest getting a retainer plate to replace the shepards hook. Especially if you have no experience removing/installing them. They are a major pain in the ass and the retainer plate makes tear down quick and painless. Good Luck with your upgrades!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts