Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again. Update: I picked up my new toy this weekend. I took it out to the range to test it out. I put about 300 rounds through it and it worked like a charm. IMO Great AK. I need to buy some mags for it....the one it came with is pretty beat up. Anyway I have a question. I bought a reflex sight for it. I was more than sure it had a front top rail on it.....but as you can see in the pics it has only a bottom and two side rails......noooooooooo.

So I am unable to put on the reflex sight......

I found these online. Which do yall recommend? Or if yall AK veterans here know of a better (cheaper) way of doing it....im all ears?

http://www.primaryarms.com/si-akrr/p/si-akrr/

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/mo...tics-ak-rifle/

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ultimak, but then you dont want to use corrosive ammo because removing the Ultimak to clean the gas block thoroughly will throw off your zero. If you want to use corrosive ammo, get a side mount like the RS Regulate or Midwest Industries.

·
Awesome
18,069 Posts
if you have a side rail, use it.. if you dont have a side rail, install it, and if for any reason you cant use a side rail (like you have an underfolder or a left side folder youd like to be able to use folded) then get a hinged dust cover type rail like the TWS dogleg

·
What hell, pay attention
8,973 Posts
Ultimak

Ultimak

Ultimak
A little late, but this is the answer.

Ultimak, but then you dont want to use corrosive ammo because removing the Ultimak to clean the gas block thoroughly will throw off your zero. If you want to use corrosive ammo, get a side mount like the RS Regulate or Midwest Industries.
You dont need to remove the Ultimak, corrosive or not. The gas block is basically self cleaning. Ive got two AK's that have had them mounted for about 15 years now, and they have not been off the guns.

Clean as normal with regular ammo. If you suspect corrosive, a flush with hot soapy water, followed by a hot, clear flush, followed by regular cleaning.

·
Awesome
18,069 Posts
ive always hated ultimaks, heat transfers to the sight, sights too far forward for my liking, and i prefer the balance of the optic mounted over the receiver, i use an RS regulate mount designed for 30mm ring mounted optics and run tube style red dots over the receiver and get about a 1/3 co witness

unfortunately my interest in possibly a left side 4.5mm stock or possibly an underfolder has me considering other options and i cant really find any i really like or that i have as much faith in as the side rails, perhaps one of the 5 rail systems that have a tail that hangs over the dust cover or maybe a dogleg of some sort

·
What hell, pay attention
8,973 Posts
Heat isnt an issue with the Ultimaks. It made of aluminium and sheds heat quickly, unlike the steel rails, which tend to get hot fast and hold it. At best, the rail "might" get warm, but mine have never been hot to the touch, even after a couple of mag dumps and the steel parts were to hot to touch.

Even then, unless youre running a junk optic, I dont know if its really an issue. I had a Springfield SOCOM which uses a steel rail, which got VERY hot quite quickly, and retained the heat a long time, yet, while I was never really comfortable or happy with it, it never seemed to bother the Aimpoint or Leupold Scout scope I had mounted on it.

As to how you mount things to the gun, I suppose a lot of how things are perceived has to do with how you use the gun and shoot. If youre simply a bench shooter, youre likely going to have a different perception than someone who is a gun handler, as well as shooter.

Ive used a number of different mounts over the years, and found the side rail and rear cover type mounts to be to busy and lacking, if not just a pure hinderance.

At the time I started looking to put optics on my AK's (turn of the century), the Ultimak was really the only improvement in mounting optics on the gun. You basically only had the Russian import stuff, and nothing else. The Russian stuff worked, but was bulky, sat way to high, and was too much in your face, making it difficult to naturally shoot the gun.

Once I shot an AK with an Ultimak mounted, it was an epiphany. You had a no bulk, or sharp edges/grabby things on your "gear" side of the gun to get in the way or hang up on things. The rail was very simple, well made, and added no bulk or anything that would hang up to the gun. It didnt require you to remove it to maintain the gun. The red dot was now mounted low and forward and allowed cowitnessing your irons. The sight itself was no longer "in your face", blocking your field of view, and was mounted very near the balance point of the loaded rifle. You got a natural "iron sight" cheek weld, and the rifle shouldered and shot like it did with the iron sights. Snap shooting is a breeze, even at longer distances.

I understand they have made some advancements with some of the side mounts, and you can now get a cowitness with some of them, but to me, you still have some of the same old issues with them.

I understand a lot of this is personal preference, and theres nothing wrong with that, we all have our likes and dislikes, and for whatever reason. I also understand that it can get quite costly trying different things out (even with the cheap stuff) just trying to figure out what is going to work best for you. Id sure like to have back all the money I wasted on ("cheap") stuff that was a waste. :rolleyes:

Whatever you decide, avoid the "cheap" stuff (unless youre rich :D:), and with the AK's, since they are "AK's" try and KISS. If you want an AR, get an AR. You destroy the simplistic beauty of the AK's trying to make them into one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.