Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
You can buy or make fake wasp nests. Supposedly they're somewhat territorial, so if they see what appears to be a large nest already present they'll stay away. I had ordered a few online and put them up, I haven't seen as many buzzing around, of course it could be coincidence.
I also have stocked up on Rescue wasp trapsticks, they are a sticky trap with a pattern that attracts wasps and they become stuck to it. With these it's better to have them up early in the year so the queen can be trapped. They aren't cheap though, about $9 each. They definitely work.

·
Paleoconservative
1,859 Posts
No advice on what spray would preventively keep them away that wouldnt get washed away with rain.

But if you are out of wasp spray and need to kill a nest, you can use a spray can of automotiive brake-clean. It kills them instantly, as in.. they dont twitch or stagger around like with wasp spray, they just fall off dead immediately. WARNING: Don't let wind blow it back in your eyes, or you will become keenly aware of why it is so devastatingly effective.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hang those Shell No Pest Strips under there..
They keep, anything and everything outta my deer blinds..
You may have to hang, several. If it's an open air kinda place..

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Greif,

Yes, good sprays avail and you've got some info on them already.

I also use a passive method. After some kitchen sponges with nylon scrubbing sheath no longer working, I take the nylon sheath and wash/dry a few. Then add moth balls and with a light wood screw hook, I place a couple under stairs to shack. It works for most of the summer until replacement moth balls needed.

Note that I do not use my quality moth balls of camphor. This is saved for emergency ecacuations ... Camphor has medicinal properties and thus duel use available.

I'm using the least cost moth balls I can find locally.

·
Padre in the woods
3,895 Posts
Any sprays that keep wasps away? they build there nests under our deck and want something that I can spare under there that does more than just kill them but also keeps them away. thanks
I stay away from chemicals. I use wasp traps, or yellow jacket traps for them. Optionally, a couple cheap bug zappers. 2020 I was finding little bits and parts of them under the zappers, and they filled one trap.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Wasp traps are one option. Hang, bait, empty.

For those who are open to chemicals - Talstar P is a concentrated liquid. Professional product. Used by many pest control companies. Orkin. Terminex. Buy on line. Mix per the directions. Spray areas (like around/under decking). Controls about 78 different pests.

Option 3, is to simply have a service come out. I have been using the same guy for 20+ years.

But the traps work, if baited properly.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
I have heard but not tested that spraying concentrated orange flavoring early in the spring will deter them.... I actually bought some, but never seen to think to spray it until after I have already seen wasp building nests.... anyone know if this actually works ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts