Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have watched about an hour and a half, disappointed to say the least! With the likes of Bill Clinton and Collin Powell and other commentators making Washington look like all he was interested was himself.

The scenery is another disappointment, looks like the Ohio Country was shot on a reclaimed strip mine, and most mountains were in the Rockies.

Anyway, just my opinions.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I have watched about an hour and a half, disappointed to say the least! With the likes of Bill Clinton and Collin Powell and other commentators making Washington look like all he was interested was himself.

The scenery is another disappointment, looks like the Ohio Country was shot on a reclaimed strip mine, and most mountains were in the Rockies.

Anyway, just my opinions.

Clinton and Powell making Washington seem self-interested? That's like the pots calling the kettle black. (No offense to you RINO Powell but you have zero room to talk you frigging Obama-loving turncoat).

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
History Channel has never been about history. Either propaganda, or clickbait stories about ancient aliens and bigfoot. The few times I've ever seen it I had to leave the room to stop laughing.

If I were to watch that channel at all it would be for "Forged In Fire." Not interested in any of the other tripe they pawn off on the ignorant public.

Reactions: Nomad 2nd

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
History Channel has never been about history. Either propaganda, or clickbait stories about ancient aliens and bigfoot. The few times I've ever seen it I had to leave the room to stop laughing.
History Channel use to be all about history. Then about 15 years ago it went the way of MTV.

14,446 Posts
If I were to watch that channel at all it would be for "Forged In Fire." Not interested in any of the other tripe they pawn off on the ignorant public.
I talked to a well respected knife guy about "Forged In Fire." He belongs to my gun club.

He stated that he was asked to appear in both seasons one and two. The first he declined because of the work conflicts, the second due to the selective editing that he knew was occurring to change the narrative, both from viewing the show and speaking with others that appeared on the show.

Not really the fault of History Channel in this instance, but rather the show's production company.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Has anyone on this thread read anything about Washington that was well researched? There are tons of sources?
Sounds like a bunch of "I don't like Slick Willy so the show cain't be no good."
It's a TV show not a history class, although both sources are prime delivery vehicles for liberal indoctrination. Better to stick to FOX news so you can learn about how Trump is the real father of our country.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,679 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newt_Gingrich#Fiction

Newt Gingrich is a semi professional historian.

He makes quasi-fiction history books. It's labeled fiction because he tries to do a present tense account instead of an biography.

He has a nice 3 book series on the Revolutionary War that features Washington prominently.

+To Try Men's Souls: A Novel of George Washington and the Fight for American Freedom, October 2009, ISBN 978-0-312-59106-9
+Valley Forge: George Washington and the Crucible of Victory, November 2010, ISBN 978-0-312-59107-6
+Victory at Yorktown, November 2012, ISBN 978-0-312-60707-4

There are very few movies and TV shows that do the Revolutionary period justice. The documentaries tend to be either dry or skewed by bias to distort history. Outside of documentaries the material gets thin pretty fast.

It's a damn shame because there is intrigue, gambits, heroism, and villains aplenty to build scripts from that era. Hell, you could do a long soap opera drama run with it if you wanted to. But putting those guys on screen would evoke a lot of interest from viewers and that is something Hollywood would detest. Mel Gibson's Patriot movie was a slam dunk summer blockbuster and yet Hollywood took a hard pass at making sequals or clones. Only one thing makes Hollywood pass on big money. Ideological virtue signalling. The Founders are not loved by the arts community. Only the big government statist Hamilton gets props.

So for now you have to go to books if you want depth insight of that era.

Honestly, I'd love to see Gibson quietly pool conservative actor money and then go for a rush crowd source effort to buy a major movie studio. They get traded like playing cards these days and I'm sure one will be vulnerable to a hostile takeover. Move the studio somewhere the Hollywood elites can't tear at it every day, like maybe Nashville. As long as these guys can crank out blockbusters they will stay immune. Gibson can make exciting movies. Eastwood is no slouch either. If they are making money then the talent pool will grow and Hollywood will fade.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,834 Posts
I was planning on recording and watching it but as usual I got sidetracked and forgot about it. I'm sure they'll show it again. But I was hoping to hear a good review on it but now i'm not so sure I wanna watch it if it's that bad.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,494 Posts
Many of us have read extensively on Washington. And not just contemporary works, either.
I have acquired probably 40+ biographies and histories about him, many of them well documented from original sources, and some from the early and mid 1800s. So no, we don't tend to believe sensationalized biographies. The current trend is to denigrate the founders and undermine factual history with revisionist 'woke' value judgements that reflect current, present day society and not society as it was in the founder's day.

Such retroactive virtue signaling is "full of sound and fury, and signifies....nothing'. It proves nothing. It is simply an exercise in wilful ignorance and bashing for the sake of bashing. Getting in one's licks, as it were, on a past full of people who have no voice in the present.

Yeah, it really makes these authors look educated, well read, capable.

Yeah...no. They look like blooming idiots.

·
Registered
598 Posts
There are very few movies and TV shows that do the Revolutionary period justice. The documentaries tend to be either dry or skewed by bias to distort history. Outside of documentaries the material gets thin pretty fast.
Turn is pretty good. There are a few minor problems, but otherwise solid, and likely as accurate as could be hoped for outside a documentary.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,494 Posts
Zeke, have you ever read Rebels and Redcoats? I think it was a real page turner. Some tell me it was dry reading, but I can't see that at all.

I highly recommend it to anyone.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,679 Posts
Turn is pretty good. There are a few minor problems, but otherwise solid, and likely as accurate as could be hoped for outside a documentary.
Notice there was plenty of intrigue back then? Other than battle scenes, the intrigue is how you make film fun to watch.

The history gives plenty of material to write shows with that capture attention.

AMC figured that out more than a century of film and TV opportunity later.

Old doesn't mean boring or won't sell. Civil War drama has been making money on film constantly ever since Gone with the Wind in 1939.

So the material is there, the profit is there, and the film industry is there. All been there for a long time. The only reason you don't see any of it is Hollywood resistance.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Has anyone on this thread read anything about Washington that was well researched? There are tons of sources?
Sounds like a bunch of "I don't like Slick Willy so the show cain't be no good."
It's a TV show not a history class, although both sources are prime delivery vehicles for liberal indoctrination. Better to stick to FOX news so you can learn about how Trump is the real father of our country.
Why, yes, yes I have. Latest is "The Founders at Home" by Myron Magnet. Last year "Washington - The Indispensable Man" by James Thomas Flexner. In college I read all of Washington Irving's monumental bio of him. (Irving actually knew GW, and sourced from a lot of other people who also did.)

What FOX and Trump have to do with it, except in a Lib's fevered imagination, I cannot guess.

Whaddamaroon.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts

Anytime a "history class" or "tv show" disrespects and/or rewrites the history of one of our founders (especially George Washington who fought extra hard for our freedoms) then I don't give two hoots what message they're trying to pass off. I'm tired of modern "historians" emphasizing the bad over the good when it comes to our early history. They're doing nothing more than planting seeds of discontent and self-loathing. Nobody is perfect -- even Washington but his good WAY outweighs the bad. I don't need to know his every little quirk anymore than you need to know about mine.

Reactions: Ozone Crusade

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,679 Posts
Dude owned 60,000 acres before the war.. That's something!!!
Once you adjust for the times, he's considered the 3rd richest US president behind Trump and Kennedy, plus he was one of the very richest men in America at that time. When there was difficulty raising public funds for his army he would step in and cover the shortfall. Paying for the needs of an army takes some serious cash.

While thoughts of the financial future of a man's progeny can never be put aside, there comes a limit when super rich men turn to things other than wealth. Kennedy never cared about the money as evidenced in his decision to take serious risks in the WW2 Navy. Trump and Washington realized that all the money means little to your soul when you have a worthy human condition cause feeling unfulfilled.

Neither Washington or Trump sees(saw) themselves looking to divesting their wealth in fit of success guilt, but could never ignore the leverage their money offers to do something good outside of wealth building. That Trump gets incessant accusations of getting rich at public expense is just as preposterous as claiming Washington did. If someone told Trump he was a million dollars richer today than yesterday he would smile briefly, pat someone on the back for good work, and then excuse himself to focus on what really interests him, namely his job as president.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Kilotons of ignorant people are going to believe that crap, because they were never taught the true story in school. Most of them were raised on Howard *spit* Zinn.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts