Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had an idea occur to me that seems it might take some effort out of hand washing. Heres the gist: a plastic (pref) or metal drum, with 2-4 "boards" of some sort attached to the inside to act as agitators. The contraption will resemble a lawn roller. An access port is cut into a side panel. I have a few ideas as to making this door. If anyone is interested I could share my construction ideas.
Simply toss your clothes in and push/pull the thing around the yard. I figure 10 minutes of steady tumbling should get most daily grunge out. When you are done, just pull the bung out and keep walking, spreading out your rinse water. Replace plug, add fresh water and agitate a little more. Repeat if desired. Or if you are short on supplies, you could start with a concentrated soap solution, changing the clothes out and leaving the water in the machine. Do all of the clothes on this "cycle". Change the water and detergent. Put your first load back in and agitate with the fresh water and soap. Repeat with fresh water to rinse until you are satisfied.

Any suggestions for upgrades or ideas at all? This would seem to be easier to do once you got it build, and since you are using your legs, much less tiring for weaker people or those with little upper body strength. I've tried the plunger and bucket thing. Works ok, but it's tiring and smaller people have trouble with the endurance part of it. This is more efficient since you are lifting the clothes with your legs.

If you have suggestions I'd specifically like to hear your ideas on the door and what you'd use for attaching the handle to the drum. Anything else is good, too.

·
531 Posts
Posted this before. Fels Naptha. Now I've used the stuff for getting rid of poison ivy, but it's main purpose is laundry soap. It comes in bar form, so it'd work fairly well on the run.

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone had the idea before or you posted the soap before? That is good stuff, BTW. Grams has used it for years, her secret weapon

·
531 Posts
Someone had the idea before or you posted the soap before? That is good stuff, BTW. Grams has used it for years, her secret weapon
I posted it before in regards to a poison ivy thread I believe. And yeah, as a boy scout they required us to have a bar with us at every campout.

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure I understand...that or I missed the joke. It's human powered, not something you pull with your lawn mower. I suppose you could hook up your large dog or gang several in a row and pull them behind a horse or mule. My thinking was for something with as few moving parts as possible, and they are pretty much just the attachments from the handle to the body. Even the door could be simplified to just a small hole and just left open during operation. Or, instead of a handle, you could fix two floor flanges on each end, with a short pipe extending from them. On the outside of the pipe you could put another floor flange on or a cap. Now take a rope and tie a loop around each pipe. The outer cap or flange will keep the loop from slipping off. The whole thing is pulled by the rope. If it was long enough it would likely not bind on the edges of the drum, but if so, a spreader bar could be fixed in place to keep them wide enough.

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pleeenty of that 'round here, even have some pavement. You're gonna have a heck of a good tricep workout there. You don't have to have miles of flat ground, it could just as easily be pushed/pull against a short incline and then let it roll back down, repeat.

I'll build one and see how well it does.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
Somewhere in this forum (I believe it's a post by Lowdown3) he uses a typical 5 gallon bucket w/gamma lid and just sort of "shakes it".... this was very effective. If you're doing laundry on the run, chances are you won't have anything fancy. But after I watched his video, that is exactly the set-up I put together. 5 gal w/gamma lid = multi-use item in your preps.

·
Leave Me Alone
434 Posts
Just had an idea occur to me that seems it might take some effort out of hand washing. Heres the gist: a plastic (pref) or metal drum, with 2-4 "boards" of some sort attached to the inside to act as agitators. The contraption will resemble a lawn roller. An access port is cut into a side panel. I have a few ideas as to making this door. If anyone is interested I could share my construction ideas.
Simply toss your clothes in and push/pull the thing around the yard. I figure 10 minutes of steady tumbling should get most daily grunge out. When you are done, just pull the bung out and keep walking, spreading out your rinse water. Replace plug, add fresh water and agitate a little more. Repeat if desired. Or if you are short on supplies, you could start with a concentrated soap solution, changing the clothes out and leaving the water in the machine. Do all of the clothes on this "cycle". Change the water and detergent. Put your first load back in and agitate with the fresh water and soap. Repeat with fresh water to rinse until you are satisfied.

I put my clothes in the Washing Machine while I'm out cutting the grass with the lawnmower. :D: You know, one time I was camping and only brought 2 changes of clothing. After a few days I started to get a little smelly, as the weather was warm and sweating was excessive. I would jump in the creek to bath, but left my clothes on. After wetting down, I climbed out and soaped my clothes down, them jumped back in the water for a rinse. I hung the wet clothes out to dry, and jumped back in to scrub myself down for the bath. Next day, the clothes were dry and fresh. Worked pretty well if you're going to be stationary by a body of water for a day or two.:thumb:

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just some agitation, clear water and sunlight will do WONDERS in most cases. UV light is some powerful stuff. I can hang a stinky dog blanket out on the line, let it rain once and sit in the sun for a couple days...fresh as my own laundry most times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts