Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than 20,000 threads on "would gun X be good WTSHTF," and considering the sheer amount of different firearms out there, wouldn't it make more sense to use a set of criteria to personally evaluate a gun than suggest every gun on earth individually? Really isn't it easier and more productive to use a set of criteria when evaluating a weapon? Not to mention if you in a store and about to buy one aren't there some things you need to consider while you're looking at it?

My criteria: (a quick brainstorm, not comprehensive, feel free to add anything I may have missed)
(Now in no specific order)

-Semi Auto.
-Reliable.
-Durability
-Availability of replacement parts.
-At least 10 round capacity.
-Ability for dual use, hunting and defense.
-Ability to down medium sized game.
-Detachable magazine preferred but not needed.
-Ability to be reloaded quickly.
-Availability and cost of ammo, abundant and relatively cheap.
-Accurate enough to hit a torso sized target at 200yds.
-Weight under 10 lbs loaded.
-Good ergonomics and sight picture.

Also scored a SKS-D and 5 30rd mags at the flea market this morning for $275!!

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Why not a bolt action? Maybe the Garand was the weapon that won the second world but every other nation fielded bolt actions that are still around serving in many capacities. I have several and if you want an indestructible weapon you could not ask for better than a Mauser or Enfield.

·
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not a bolt action? Maybe the Garand was the weapon that won the second world but every other nation fielded bolt actions that are still around serving in many capacities. I have several and if you want an indestructible weapon you could not ask for better than a Mauser or Enfield.
2 or 3 on one, they have semi auto's you have a bolt gun....It ain't gonna be pretty....
Can you say suppress and flank boys and girls?
That's my argument for a semi.

·
Strive to Survive
58 Posts
2 or 3 on one, they have semi auto's you have a bolt gun....It ain't gonna be pretty....
Can you say suppress and flank boys and girls?
That's my argument for a semi.
If his bolt gun can take out the 2 or 3 at 1000 yds. he doesn't need to worry about an inaccurate sks at 200 yds.:eek:

·
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how many times are you going to see someone @ 1000 yds? If you're watching over your property you have the A B C and D sides to look over, you can't see all of them at once...

Reactions: Ford Prefect

·
Strive to Survive
58 Posts
how many times are you going to see someone @ 1000 yds? If you're watching over your property you have the A B C and D sides to look over, you can't see all of them at once...
So...are you saying a semi allows you to see A B C and D all at the same time? A spotters scope works wonders seeing someone @ 1000 yds. If you can get them before they can even get within range to get you....YOU WIN!

·
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Where I'm at you can see at most 300yds and on average about 150yds, and I imagine that most others are in a similar situation. Now a semi auto does not allow you to cover all 4 sides, no gun does, but a semi auto does allow you to return a volume of fire in the hope that you can fire and move to gain a tactical advantage rather than sitting under cover due to an overwhelming amount of incoming fire while you wait for your opponent(s) to flank you and kill you b/c you're pinned down and can't move.

Rule #1 Bring enough gun, at least as much if not more than your opponent.

I love this talk of 1000 yd shots, it's right up there in humor factor with a 10/22 being a combat weapon. Be real, without training, training, training and practice, practice, practice and w/o the ability to have the RIGHT ammo, calculate drop, wind, humidity, air density and a multitude of other factors, an effective 1000 yd shot just ain't gonna happen. I shoot 600yds religiously with a rifle that could easily reach to 1000yds, and even 600yds is no cake walk. In this day and age, I'd avoid a bolt gun if all possible in a conflict situation.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Here we seldom have openings farther than 150 yards at least outside the city. The choice for large bore is related to the volume of damage more than distance. So cal or utah the spotting scope may work out. Here in the rain forest we don't count on a full 100 for the sights and tend to aim an inch or two low for most shots.

Everyone's mileage may vary.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
yea but alot of ppl who know nothing of guns, what they are asking, is that brand durable, or does it break down alot,prone to jamming ...ect? or they want you to just point them to a weapon and say that 1 is the one you need

if you notice alot ask what is the best survival weapon.to me most all weapons will do if your got enough ammo to last

maybe we should put up a poll listing by caliber and bolt/semi/pump/lever/overunder/single shot and let us vote 2x on each differnt types of rifle and 2 for a pistol and one for shotguns and rimfire also.any1 must beable to view the vote, even if they dont vote,so they can see what most ppl vote on ,and have it as a sticky and put on there," most any style weapon you like in these calibers will do you just fine for a survival rifle."

but it has to be made to where i can vote on the 2 types of rifle calibers say my vote is ,
bolt.22/semi .308/lever 30-30/pump 12ga/semi .45apc .

you could even break it down farther to offensive assault weapon , home defensive weapon,small game hunting, med game hunting,big game hunting/ bird hunting or have a seprate vote but you would need around 6 catagories

example:
small game bolt.22/assault .308/ med game lever 30-30/ home def 12ga/big game .308/bird 12ga

but none of this will do any good unless you make it a sticky

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'd love to see that poll and the ensuing arguments. errrr, discussion.

I'm just having a look at firearms and gun clubs and haven't decided what to get.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I'd love to see that poll and the ensuing arguments. errrr, discussion.

I'm just having a look at firearms and gun clubs and haven't decided what to get.

First... Decide which round you need.

(Do you live in the Swamps, with Sub 300 yard shots... or on the Great Plains with 5-600??)

Personall yI would not plan on shooting past 800...
I have done so and Have discovered it's a WHOLE different world when you up your range from 800 to 900...

If they are that far away (Unless your in your bunker) ... leave.

Ok, Now you've chosen 30-06, 308, or 7.62x39
(I personally have little use for .22's...)

06... Get an M1, it has shortcommings, but works well.

.308 you have the choice of the M1A, FAL, and HK pattern rifles (HK, PTR91, and CETME)
-THere are others, but those have mags, parts, and acessaries reddily avalable.

7.62x39... If your dealing with ~300 yards and less.. this works well and folding stock variants fit in tennis racket cases...

I have many 308's, due to ammo costs I have been training with Ak's for the last couple years and I must say the more I shoot them the better I like them.

·
Unlocked and loaded
1,161 Posts
Options,

Options, not everyone can afford a Semi-auto, an old military rifle is the only option, or a .22 maybe the only option. Use what ya have until you get something better. An AR whatever is over priced. A 12ga. with slugs an buck shot would be my first choice, due to the speed of a pump, plus you can hunt with it. Versatility is my option, plus I like my old 8mm Mauser, my old Mosin Nagant, if need be, they can reach out and touch someone. If not they sure will duck an think about it. :D:

P.S. Kahn, not everyone in this world has the money you seem to.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
Options, not everyone can afford a Semi-auto, an old military rifle is the only option, or a .22 maybe the only option. Use what ya have until you get something better. An AR whatever is over priced. A 12ga. with slugs an buck shot would be my first choice, due to the speed of a pump, plus you can hunt with it. Versatility is my option, plus I like my old 8mm Mauser, my old Mosin Nagant, if need be, they can reach out and touch someone. If not they sure will duck an think about it. :D:

P.S. Kahn, not everyone in this world has the money you seem to.
Kahn has money????how do you know he has money???

·
Strive to Survive
58 Posts
I love this talk of 1000 yd shots, it's right up there in humor factor with a 10/22 being a combat weapon. Be real, without training, training, training and practice, practice, practice and w/o the ability to have the RIGHT ammo, calculate drop, wind, humidity, air density and a multitude of other factors, an effective 1000 yd shot just ain't gonna happen. I shoot 600yds religiously with a rifle that could easily reach to 1000yds, and even 600yds is no cake walk. In this day and age, I'd avoid a bolt gun if all possible in a conflict situation.
No humor factor here......know several men that can regularly shoot at the 800 - 1000 yd distance. Yes it takes practice and the ability to make the right calculations but if you know your rifle and ammo the calculations become a known and the effective 1000 yd shot can be made. I will not try and convince you concerning this as you decided to make this a joke instead of a discussion. Maybe your difficulity at 600 yds is strictly due to the rifle you are shooting. Most stock box rifles will not make this shot but I've seen some that will. If you don't like bolt guns, to each his on. Every firearm I own is semi-automatic except one....the big bad bolt gun.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts