Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a knock on my classroom door yesterday. they wanted me to check on my scooter, parked in the scooter parking lot. When I got there, all that was left was a charred black steel frame :( I had plugged the charger in that morning when I parked it, and apparently after 6 hours, the battery faulted, exploded and then the whole area was ablaze with flames. I have a video but could not find a way to upload it.
I have read warnings about using LiFe and never had a problem with them...until now :(
Questions: Are the prismatic batteries safer than the batteries made with the 18650 cylinders?
Suggestion: Build a brick/stone enclosure for your batteries, ventilate very well and install temperature sensors connected to your cell phone!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Always been a problem... depends on the quality of the lithium battery itself, but you never leave it alone for 6 hours charging! You're just asking for that big bang.. my painful experience with my last phone, et el cheapo pieco of dungo

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,640 Posts
I have retrofitted lithium ion cylindrical cells in several portable devices because they make sense from an energy density perspective. It took me a long while to accept them as an alternative. When you get 3 times the run time in a walkie talkie and shave off 6 oz it is appealing.

However, I don't think we are ever going to get to a point where these lithium ion batteries are as safe as the batteries they replace. We just had a tablet overheat and the battery expanded and pushed up the glass. The old battery is outside next to a concrete wall until we find a place to dispose of it.

Part of the problem is manufacturing quality, the other part is in the charging and battery management. These are generally pretty low end solutions for an important problem.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thought maybe I should add that I am not against lithium batteries, but am aware of possible problems. All of my dive lights use lithium batteries, and they are great. But, I will not put them on the charger and leave them unattended.

Wolf

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
There are lot of people using them for there homes now
they are switching from lead acid and agm to home made battery packs that you get from China and assemble the power they give is awesome.
For my place I’m sticking with with lead for now.

·
Dog Lives Matter
7,354 Posts
Always been a problem... depends on the quality of the lithium battery itself, but you never leave it alone for 6 hours charging! You're just asking for that big bang.. my painful experience with my last phone, et el cheapo pieco of dungo

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
Search ScrewTube for "hoverboard fires." There are dozens of videos like the one below. Tesla has also had problems with battery fires with a couple of their electric vehicles, usually after they've been in an accident and the batteries were damaged.

The first sign is usually a swelling battery. Do not put a lithium ion battery on a charger if you detect any swelling or damage to the battery case. If the contents of the baitery is exposed to air, it bursts into flames. You can take a hammer to an AA lithium and it will burst into flames when the inner pack is breached.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! Are the prismatic batteries safer than the ones formed with 18650 cells?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
18650 cells are 18 mm X 65 mm. they need a BMS - a battery management system that charges each cell in the pack individually.

Teslas use the next size up - 20700s. 7,104 per battery pack.

you need a Class D fire extinguisher. Pretty sure you don't get those at Wally World.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
18650 cells are 18 mm X 65 mm. they need a BMS - a battery management system that charges each cell in the pack individually.

Teslas use the next size up - 20700s. 7,104 per battery pack.

you need a Class D fire extinguisher. Pretty sure you don't get those at Wally World.
Are the cells safer than the prismatic packs?

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
WOW, that is scary stuff, the supposedly new thing is lithium phosphate batteries which they say are better but likely has the same hazard when charging

15,564 Posts
Just to make a point: Lithium batteries are not rechargeable, whilst Li-ion batteries are.

As such, Li-ion batteries are the ones with the unfortunate history of spontaneous combustion, and NOT Lithium batteries.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I am no electronic engineer, but it seems to me there should be a simple circuit that could manage that. When the battery is fully charged, it shuts off the charging input. Anybody know?

I had a girlfriend in college who took lithium for bi-polar. If she wasn't properly charged, she could explode!

15,564 Posts
WOW, that is scary stuff, the supposedly new thing is lithium phosphate batteries which they say are better but likely has the same hazard when charging
Lithium-ion batteries are rechargeable batteries that use lithium, among other active components.

While Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries are also a type of lithium-ion batteries, it is also known for both long life and inherent safety.

15,564 Posts
I am no electronic engineer, but it seems to me there should be a simple circuit that could manage that. When the battery is fully charged, it shuts off the charging input. Anybody know?

I had a girlfriend in college who took lithium for bi-polar. If she wasn't properly charged, she could explode!
Most trickle chargers do not shut down when charging is complete.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Most trickle chargers do not shut down when charging is complete.
How hard could it be to set that up, though. Again, I don't know a lot about it. I do know I got a "battery management" charger for my motorcycle. Supposedly it constantly analyzes the charge and only gives it what is needed, no more.

15,564 Posts
How hard could it be to set that up, though. Again, I don't know a lot about it. I do know I got a "battery management" charger for my motorcycle. Supposedly it constantly analyzes the charge and only gives it what is needed, no more.
It's not hard, and they do already exist.

The problem being is cost of such a charger. That, and shortening the battery life so that one if forced to purchase another one much sooner.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have lithium batteries on my RV and love them. They charge quick and hold it for a long time. Camping, a portable zamp panel completely recharges them during the day.
Manufacturer says you can leave the RV plugged in 24 7 but it will shorten the life of the battery. Only thing I don't like is my built-in battery meter does not work well for the lithium batteries.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts