Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MortarMaggot
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're old enough you might remember these PSA's from back in the day. It's about how I feel with AR's. I build more AR's so I can learn about them & "save money" so I can afford to build more AR's......

Then of course, before he left for the Army, I showed my kid how to build AR's. Now I'm a parent who builds AR's who has a child who builds AR's. :eek:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
And dont ever buy stripped lowers for "just in case they cant be had in the future" even if it is a great deal. You will find yourself buying parts to build more ARs since you have the lowers just sitting there.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
And dont ever buy stripped lowers for "just in case they cant be had in the future" even if it is a great deal. You will find yourself buying parts to build more ARs since you have the lowers just sitting there.
I find the trick is to leave them in the blister packs and stuff them in the bottom of a storage tote.

·
MortarMaggot
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couldn't disagree more. I started buying batches of stripped lowers when they'd go on sale back in early '16. Also would start buying other parts when they'd go on sale & buy those in batches as I could afford them. When the plandemic hit, I started building AR's & put together 5 new complete rifles, 1 new upper & rebuilt 2 others & still have enough parts to build at least 1 more complete rifle, maybe 2. Then I've still got a few lowers left along with some more unfinished 80% lowers and lots of other spare parts for repairs. The vast majority of the parts for those builds were bought prior to March of this year. Most of the stuff I bought post "15 day lockdown" was stuff like alumahyde, a few pieces of furniture since I decided to do a retroish build that I didn't have the right furniture for. Then when the govt. decided to give us "free" money, I used some of that to buy some more stuff firearms related that I didn't need that bad, but since it was "free", why not. Buy when stuff is cheap & available, or as the saying goes, buy it cheap & stack it deep.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I hid my stripped lowers WAAAAAYYY back in the safe so I don't see them. I think somehow they are still multiplying on their own. I didn't think they did that until they grew up into an AR. lol I am still an amateur at building from scratch, but I made sure to have enough of certain parts around if I want to scratch the itch.

Only think I wish i had bought before is a 20 inch + barrel to do a long range build. Not that I have anywhere to shoot it around here. Only mile long shots around here is if you shoot up..

·
MortarMaggot
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hid my stripped lowers WAAAAAYYY back in the safe so I don't see them. I think somehow they are still multiplying on their own. I didn't think they did that until they grew up into an AR. lol I am still an amateur at building from scratch, but I made sure to have enough of certain parts around if I want to scratch the itch.

Only think I wish i had bought before is a 20 inch + barrel to do a long range build. Not that I have anywhere to shoot it around here. Only mile long shots around here is if you shoot up..
If you make 1 mile shots with a 20" AR, let me know, I'd really like to duplicate that set up. You really won't be gaining that much going from a 16" to a 20" in terms of accuracy or distance, if everything else is the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts