Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted this in the "Michigan" section, but it applies to a LOT of urban scenarios:

As things tend to get more "sporty" you need to be thinking about your egress routes or be prepared to "bug in" for three days.

The reason I say this is the nature of the freeway system in Detroit and the surrounding areas.

Detroit relies heavily on what I used to refer to as a " ditch" system. (I-94, Lodge Freeway, I-75 and others)
These freeways are built below the normal elevation of "surface" streets so as to bypass them.

A traffic jam on these roads is inescapable with a normal car or truck or ANY vehicle in a lot of cases due to walls, the high embankments and other obstacles.

You get cars in front of you, and cars behind you and you are trapped. And the "people" you will be trying to escape LIVE in a lot of the neighborhoods surrounding those freeways.

So:

The next time you go to work or over the river and through the woods, observe.
Think about choke points and how you would escape them if you had to.
Beware of overpasses and raised banks above the road surface in "questionable" neighborhoods.
I remember a situation in the "hood" where groups of people would light tires and roll them down the embankments onto traffic.
Dropping things over the pedestrian walks was also common, even though most are covered with chain link fencing.

Plan alternate SURFACE street routes.
Keep at LEAST a half tank in your vehicle, a good spare, maps (DON'T depend on that GPS in your BOB)

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,135 Posts
Being in the center of a big city in a crisis is just about the worst place I can think of when it comes to getting out. I guess I'm lucky in my situation, if you can call living in ANY city "lucky". I'm always at the edge of town no matter which side of town I'm at. I rarely have any cause to go into the center of the city. One side of town I grew up on and rode dirt bikes on every possible trail. The other side I've lived for 20 years and have 4 wheeled every possible trail here too. I know all the backroads and could make a beeline for those trails and avoid the jam packed freeways.

I suggest exploring back roads and dirt roads and developing multiple paths to get where you're going. Remember, the smaller, less used residential roads are the most likely to be clear. Those people probably headed to the freeway to aid in the effort of gridlocking it.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
The only way around it all is to get the jump on everyone. Except for earthquakes, most natural disasters give us plenty of time.

In SHTF, pay attention to what's going on and don't wait for it to get ugly. 6 million jews did just that, thinking it would all go away or someone would help.

We all need to watch the health care issue, Seattle Cop Killings, Immigration Reform, etc. Any one of them has the potential to ignite the fire.

·
Banned
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only way around it all is to get the jump on everyone. Except for earthquakes, most natural disasters give us plenty of time.

In SHTF, pay attention to what's going on and don't wait for it to get ugly. 6 million jews did just that, thinking it would all go away or someone would help.

We all need to watch the health care issue, Seattle Cop Killings, Immigration Reform, etc. Any one of them has the potential to ignite the fire.
I would be more concerned about government checks not cashing.

Have you seen the videos on the recent "Obama Money" HANDOUTS in Detroit, the makeup of the crowd and how they were acting?

THAT is cause for concern.

The inhabitants of most inner cities have turned into government dependent "proles" ala 1984.

Soon the government won't be able to feed them anymore, and they won't have the distractions.
(Television, Drugs, Booze, Cars, Bling, Cell phones)

THAT will be the catalyst.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Dirt, we just came home on Sunday afternoon from being upnorth for the holiday

weekend. The traffic was terrible with everyone coming back down. I cant imagine what

it would be in shtf going north. Forget trying that. It started to get really stop and go

just about 10 minutes from the Zilwaukee bridge with us driving south.

·
Banned
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

weekend. The traffic was terrible with everyone coming back down. I cant imagine what

it would be in shtf going north. Forget trying that. It started to get really stop and go

Should have honked and waved as you drove by.

:)

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
google earth is a nice tool with its street view to preview routes and what feeds into them and surrounding terrain and structures and you have a view from the street i recomend this program and its best of all free to download

Reactions: Dirt Fisher

·
Banned
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
google earth is a nice tool with its street view to preview routes and what feeds into them and surrounding terrain and structures and you have a view from the street i recomend this program and its best of all free to download
Yeah, just don't download it onto your phone. It constantly transmits your location and speed to their server so they can use it for their "real time" traffic.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
lol i have on laptop i dont put apps on my phone

Reactions: Dirt Fisher

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't live in a big city but we have two mid sized and large cities within driving distance of us(CO springs and Denver) so I figure we'll be dealing with people coming HERE not the other way around. Either way not good, my first plan is to BUG IN and stay put unless absolutely necessary to move then maybe evacuate to a nearby state park. The Arkansas river isn't too far away and the the mountains are about 2 hours away but not ideal to be living out in a tent wherever you can find a place to stay. Plus the roads to the mountains here are mostly two lane highways and I figure they will be jammed with idiots trying to escape to the mountains so going will be extremely slow. Staying put is a much better idea for us....

·
Talk To The Hand
658 Posts

Even here in the great western USA you can get trapped in traffic. Today, in the Phoenix area, we had a vehicle roll-over. Result? Miles of stalled traffic for hours making lots of people late for their J.O.B.S., `cause that's how we don't roll in this state. All it takes is for some idiots(s) in front of you to plow into a barrier, roll-over, whatever . . . you ain't moving for hours.

Your car can be a magic carpet out of Dodge or the coffin they bury you in. Flip a coin. Got plan B? :(

·
Burner
668 Posts
I posted this in the "Michigan" section, but it applies to a LOT of urban scenarios:

As things tend to get more "sporty" you need to be thinking about your egress routes or be prepared to "bug in" for three days.

The reason I say this is the nature of the freeway system in Detroit and the surrounding areas.

Detroit relies heavily on what I used to refer to as a " ditch" system. (I-94, Lodge Freeway, I-75 and others)
These freeways are built below the normal elevation of "surface" streets so as to bypass them.

A traffic jam on these roads is inescapable with a normal car or truck or ANY vehicle in a lot of cases due to walls, the high embankments and other obstacles.

You get cars in front of you, and cars behind you and you are trapped. And the "people" you will be trying to escape LIVE in a lot of the neighborhoods surrounding those freeways.

So:

Beware of overpasses and raised banks above the road surface in "questionable" neighborhoods.
I remember a situation in the "hood" where groups of people would light tires and roll them down the embankments onto traffic.
Dropping things over the pedestrian walks was also common, even though most are covered with chain link fencing.

Keep at LEAST a half tank in your vehicle, a good spare, maps (DON'T depend on that GPS in your BOB)
Good points all.

75, 94, and the Southfield are nicely walled in the heart of the city. With the approaches to each section still within the confines of the Dmztroit mostly ghetto embankments. Getting out into the burbs is better. Also, 75 has the rouge bridge to deal with. Only way off that is down. Way down. 96 is not to walled until you get into the mix with 94 and 75. 696, aka the autobahn, is walled for my commute from what is called the Mixing Bowl at the Lodge, until I take NB 75, where the walls start petering out. I dont even wanna talk about the Davison, thats all ghetto. I would be mass chaos trying to leave the city. I'm on the outer fringes of the metro area. Close enough to taste more open lands but not sure if it would be wise to bug out. But, by the same token I dont like the idea of staying either. And my place is not in a good location for defensive purposes.

Damn I wish I was still up north.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
That's why DW and I are moving out into country/mountains. More maneuvering room.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
here shorty i will be stuck in the new york city for the next couple of years for my work and i sitting here looking at ways to get out of the city ..a couple of people on a other board told me about a couple of ways to get out of the city by walking out as need with pre cached supplies for the travel as need to get to a safe place to stay before traveling on to the new b.o.l,

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
here shorty i will be stuck in the new york city for the next couple of years for my work and i sitting here looking at ways to get out of the city ..a couple of people on a other board told me about a couple of ways to get out of the city by walking out as need with pre cached supplies for the travel as need to get to a safe place to stay before traveling on to the new b.o.l,
lol if the **** hit the fan id go live in central park :eek: isnt there a zoo there too when most everyones gone do some big game hunting lol :thumb:

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
There's probably a long history with the sub-level freeway system -- keeping noise down, but also they probably sometimes followed old railroad routes, and these were often built along old riverbeds, since the grade was gradual enough for trains -- but you do end up with the embankments on the sides. I know of at least a couple freeways like this here in MN.

A related problem would be the toll turnpikes. I'm familiar with the ones from Ohio to New York and in that general part of the country. There would be extreme bottlenecks at the toll booths, there are fewer exits than exist with ordinary freeways also, and sometimes miles of fencing/barriers keeping you in.

So if your BOV is a 4WD Jeep, you might be able to off-road up some of the less-steep embankments in an extreme emergency, but a sound wall, heavy fence, etc. would remain the show-stopper.

So:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts