Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
- This is just a test of the early warning system -

While most of us think that we can wait for official information to come forth before we start to bug out, experience has shown that most of the time the news reports are confused, unverified and conflicting. With government superiority over the news industry, how can you be sure your getting the truth? Especially at the time its relevant.

I propose we work out a solution for this, specifically on this site, as to collect the information from other survivalists as a situation unfolds. Communities have had nuclear attack and air rade sirens in the past. I say this online community is as good as any and that we should do the same.

It is also necessary supplement unfolding situations with news, however this means developing news. There will have to be restrictions on what can be posted where, and what constitutes news that will affect the majority of us.

You can now discuss and suggest ways to use this idea.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
The problem is it is likely that bugging out will be necessary on one area, and not in another. For example, if the Bulls win another championship, anyone living down by the united center should bug out for at least 3 days. Whereas anyone living by me should stay put.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think a category devoted to that kind of thing could be very useful. However, there should be some limitations as to what could be posted there; otherwise, too many folks crying "wolf" would totally negate the whole purpose of having it.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
when i was in the army at fort bragg. they had us on alert every other day for 1 full month to get us into a routine of being ready we got to the point to where we had everything sitting in the corner cause we knew we would use it tomorrow when we was called on alert. then one day the SHTF,the planes begin takeing off and they DID NOT STOP for 2 days.they was doing this for the envasion of geranda.

but what might be a good drill is if one weekend without preparing anything you grab your BOB and you got 5 mins to grab what ever and go camping for 2 day and see what you need to add to your BoB and take away.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
I changed the title, I can see people reading it and grabbing bags :)

As a side note it is the internet, would you trust XYZ to make the decision for you to bug out? I rely solely on situational decisions in my area. If XYZ is in my area why would I let them make the call? Maybe XYZ has nothing but an apartment and I have a siege castle. There are millions of possibilities and for me at least it comes down to personal choices and levels of preparation etc.

Relaying the information is nice, and we do have a worldwide contacts group in the groups section. The idea was there but honestly I had lost interest in the idea. Maybe it is time to rekindle the idea? Guess we will see.........

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I hate to say this, but by the time some folks who are preparing to 'get out', gets the news or realize what's happening, it'll be too late.

I keep remembering about Katrina. Prior to the hurricane you could get out, but once it hit people were forced to stay.

Imo, I think this thing is going to come like a thief in the night. We wait and watch for it everyday but we'll still be shocked when it happens. One morning we'll get up and all the banks will have declared a holiday and martial law will already be in place. Chaos will ensue and it will be impossible to go anywhere.

I'm not making a prediction, just using this scenario as an example.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I changed the title, I can see people reading it and grabbing bags :)

As a side note it is the internet, would you trust XYZ to make the decision for you to bug out? I rely solely on situational decisions in my area. If XYZ is in my area why would I let them make the call? Maybe XYZ has nothing but an apartment and I have a siege castle. There are millions of possibilities and for me at least it comes down to personal choices and levels of preparation etc.

Relaying the information is nice, and we do have a worldwide contacts group in the groups section. The idea was there but honestly I had lost interest in the idea. Maybe it is time to rekindle the idea? Guess we will see.........
Heh, really? I intentionally made it worrying. :cool:

It reminds me of when 'War of the worlds' was first broadcast over radio in news format. People ran for the hills because they thought aliens had invaded.

The bottom line is, if their that dumb, and i honestly don't think they are, at least they get some practice running. The last thing they need is to find they are unprepared when the SHTF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(radio)

Obviously the more people reporting the same thing the more credible it seems. Its not like you have much to lose from a bug out training run. As always they will have to use the brains they were born with. As well as working out the credibility of the info.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I fully expect to miss it. Unless it happens in that half hour when I listen to the morning local news, I won't hear about it until the next morning coffee on most days. Having an Iphone changed that a bit, but I'd likely be scratching my head wondering why cell service was so bad that day and going about my buisiness like any other day up on the mountain. The glories of not having to worry about bugging out ever again.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I hate to say this, but by the time some folks who are preparing to 'get out', gets the news or realize what's happening, it'll be too late.

I keep remembering about Katrina. Prior to the hurricane you could get out, but once it hit people were forced to stay.

Imo, I think this thing is going to come like a thief in the night. We wait and watch for it everyday but we'll still be shocked when it happens. One morning we'll get up and all the banks will have declared a holiday and martial law will already be in place. Chaos will ensue and it will be impossible to go anywhere.

I'm not making a prediction, just using this scenario as an example.
i got a REAL bad feeling your right

·
Registered
100 Posts
I will run for the hills when the voices in my head tell me to, not before. :D:

Seriously, since I live on the family farm my house in the bug out location for my family. So I kinda have to stay here so that all my siblings who live near large cities have a place to excape to. We may fight, and totally disagree politically, (2 actually voted for Obama, and yet I still call them family.) but when times get tough we all pull together.

May I suggest a closer local network, like a phone tree, where if things get crazy then you all try to contact each other. (Not necessarily people on this forum, more like friends and family in the neighborhood.) That way if your not watching t.v., maybe your retired neighbor or your crazy aunt is.

The problem with running for the hills this time of year, is all the snow. Could we hold off any alien invasions, civil wars, or zombie hoard invasions until the snow melts?:thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts