Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Free Mason
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I home canned some butter and cheese in 10-08. Today I through out all 130 jars. The butter has gone rancid and the cheese had mold and turned brown. The instructions I followed called for 40 minuets boiling in a water bath canner. In a new canning book by the same author the time was increased to 60 minuets. Please check all home canned butter and cheese.

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
I home canned some butter and cheese in 10-08. Today I through out all 130 jars. The butter has gone rancid and the cheese had mold and turned brown. The instructions I followed called for 40 minuets boiling in a water bath canner. In a new canning book by the same author the time was increased to 60 minuets. Please check all home canned butter and cheese.
Wow sorry about that. I have been waiting to read a sucessful story about how to do it. I'm beginning to think the only way to go is own a cow and chickens or live near a dairy farm. I tried the dehydrated egg thing. Ugh! Forget it.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Never can butter....you can do Ghee though....in the process the milk solids is taken out of the butter (the milk is what makes it go rancid) and what you are left with is the pure oil of butter....its safe to store. There are many vids o youtube but they do not do it for long enough to get all the milk solids out....

Here is my Ghee .... it is clear the background wall color makes it kinda blurry lol

This video shows you the ONLY correct way to process ghee to be able to store it....he uses large amounts but you can do the same thing with smaller amounts. It takes a little while on the stove top but you want to make sure you get ALL the milk solids out (milk solids is what you see floating around in melted butter-its whitish when the butter is melted) so it want go rancid.

Right way

Wrong way....you see the yellowish white stuff in the bottom....thats what will make the canned butter go rancid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts