Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Average Joe
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone want to do war bring-back thread on the forums. I am in the mood for some military history right know.

·
Old Soldier
5,072 Posts
Well, I personally was most interested in bringing my butt back from the war, but I do have a WWII bring back.
It is a 1917 Mauser Gew98, built at the Danzig arsenal. Can't say if it saw combat in WWI.
It was rebuilt to K98k specs in the mid to late 1930's. It has a shorter barrel than original and the front sight base is marked with a wafenampt (Nazi eagle inspection stamp) with the code number for Mauser manufacture. The rear sight is the later model, not WWI.
These rifles were converted as the Nazis denounced the arms treaty and ramped up production of military weapons.
Some of these reworks saw front line combat, many were issued to the home guard.
It still has the imperial eagle acceptance stamp on the reciever.
Someone, most likely the GI who brought it home, "sporterized" it by cutting the stock down and installing a rubber butt pad. It's a shame too, it was an early issue stock that had a rear sling swivel instead of the later through cut for the sling.
Because of this modification all collector value is gone, but I got a nice shooter for $188.
At least Bubba did not drill and tap the receiver for a scope.
When I saw the old girl in the rack at the shop I had the same feeling of pity come over me that I get when rescuing a sad eyed dog from death row at the pound. She just had to go home with me.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Only bring back I have the history to is My friend Logans knife.
Logan passed away last year, @93. He has 2 silver stars, 3 bronze,
Was in Africa, Normandy and spent time as a POW. Upon release, he volunteered for chemical testing.
That knife means more to me than EVERY other war related item in the collection.

My father has what he claims is the Doctors .38 that went with him up San Juan Hill.

·
Gettin There
1,584 Posts
My grandmother's ex live in boyfriend or whatever you want to call it was in WW2. His friend killed a German soldier and picked up the soldier's Gew98. The guy was afraid he would get caught with it so he gave it to my gma's acquaintance. He kept it for years and just a couple years ago gave it to me. It is by no means a pretty rifle by normal standards. You can tell it was used hard. There is no rust on it, but the bluing/parkerizing/whatever they used on it is gone. There are a lot of dings in the stock, but it is probably my most interesting rifle.

·
Old Soldier
5,072 Posts
Since you mentioned you were in the mood for military history, here goes.
One item I did bring home is an empty brass shell casing from a Duster. This was a twin 40MM anti-aircraft gun mounted on a tracked chassis. Built in the 1950's to shoot at airplanes they were used in Vietnam in an anti personnel role.
Our infantry brigade had a string of base camps along the DMZ and the Dusters were used on these bases as perimeter security against ground attacks. There were two on the camp I was on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M42_Duster
Another neat piece of weaponry used in Vietnam was also originally designed for anti-aircraft but used against personnel. This was the Quad 50, which was a 4 gun mount of Browning 50 cals in a turret mounted on a 5 ton truck. These were used for convoy security.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_50
:thumb:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
When my great grandfather was in WWI his unit captured some Germans. Upon searching them they found a set of brass knuckles with a blade laid into the face of the knuckles on one of the Germans. Great grandfathers commanding officer took a look at it then handed it over to him telling him to punch the German with it. He put them on and punched the German splitting him open. The knuckles ended up coming back with my great grandfather and sat on his mantle for the longest time. My uncle has them now I will end up with them some day.

I also have my dad's foot locker from vietnam and there are several trophies in there and tons of photos.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I have my grandfather's 1851 Navy Colt that he carried in the War of Northern Aggression as a Drummer in the 33 Alabama Infantry.

I have my father's Pre War GP35 and his FN1922 in .380acp that he carried in WWII in Europe.

I have Tok 33 and my SKS that I brought back from my Safari to South Vietnam.

Jungle Work

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
This thread reminds me of a SSG I new in the Army years ago. He was a Viet Nam vet and he always had this pair of Ho Chi Mihn sandals made from tire treads that he said he got while he was there. I asked him what were all of the souvenirs he brought back from over there. He said, "Well, I brought back a wife and a child and these here sandals. Man, do I love these sandals."

Before you beat him up to bad over his lack of love for his spouse and child, understand, his wife was a total terror and his son was a sociopath. Well on his way to becoming some kind of serial killer or something. Really. He had been arrested for cruelty to animals (hanging cats and dogs on a swing set and cutting them open with a knife... while they were still alive), destruction of goverment property, burglary, etc. And, he was only 15 at this time.

Anyway, this thread reminded me of the sandals.

Al

Reactions: joecatt

·
With all due respect....
1,837 Posts
I didn't get to bring back any firearms from Iraq (nor did anyone I think), but in Afghanistan, if I'm not mistaken soldiers are allowed to bring back antique (muzzle loading) firearms with permission.

Boy, I'd have given anything to bring back some of the East German AK's and SKS's we found, but that was a no go. Only stuff I brought back were some Korans, a Fedayeen Helmet (bought from one of our interpreters), a Republican guard uniform, helmet, gear, etc (bought from an Iraqi Policeman who had been in the Republican Guard), a portrait of Saddam (bought from the Rep guard guy), and some other stuff. I was there in 2009 so by that time we were "working with" Iraqi soldiers and policeman. When on guard with them (when a interpreter was around) or in down time I'd often ask about their experiences during the Iran-Iraq war, and their experiences during the 1st and 2nd Gulf War. They had some amazing stories.

I collect military stuff so I tried to bring back as much as I could.

As far as family's bring backs from past wars, my great uncle brought back a samurai sword, Type 38 rifle, Nambu Pistol, flag, helmet, etc but it was all given away to a relative who then promptly pawned it all, along with a Winchester 73 "One of One Thousand".

·
Retired Army
6,398 Posts
Sent/brought back all kinda of crap from Iraq. Got a pair of salt and pepper shakers out of one of Saddam's palaces. Sterling silver, It's my cook out set. Had a cool knife, but I sold it. Sent home a dead camel spider and a couple of scorpions packed in with a trunk of CDs. Got a real cool brass/copper lamp at a bazzar like the ones that used to hang off the back of ships 100 years ago. It has a globe that looks like it's off a light house. Gonna make it a lamp one day... although it's been hanging in my garage for years. Took my own 9.5" Arms Tech Compak 16 upper over there to use. Had to send that back in the conex with the arms room crap, damn near didn't get to bring it back, took months to be returned to me, It's a SBR now. The upper and barrel are the ones I used in Iraq, as is the Eotech and Hogue grip.

Got a carpet under my dining room table I bought at Iraqi Carpetland. We just pulled over, and bought it.

Wife loves that...

There was a hundred little things I scrounged up/traded for/liberated. Iraqi Dennar, uniform insignia, hats... a real cool Brit poncho that's in my GHB in the truck. Sent home a stack of bamboo tent poles after we got our new hooches. Every boy in my den (scout leader) made a walking stick out of one, as did my daughter, plus I made one a spear...

·
Crusty Old B*stard
1,007 Posts
Can't really say what I brought back, but when I was a kid our next door neighbor had a Japanese officer's sword that he had brought back from WWII. Our neighbor was in the Army, and fought his way across the Pacific. The sword came from an officer he personally shot. One of his bullets went through the guy and lodged in the handle of the sword. Pretty cool souvenir.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Have a couple Martini-Enfields my son sent back from a gun shop in Kabul, Afghanistan. Have all the properly signed military paperwork and documentation to go with them, plus bayonets. Who knows....maybe they were used in a battle for the Khyber Pass.

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Since you mentioned you were in the mood for military history, here goes.
One item I did bring home is an empty brass shell casing from a Duster. This was a twin 40MM anti-aircraft gun mounted on a tracked chassis. Built in the 1950's to shoot at airplanes they were used in Vietnam in an anti personnel role.
Our infantry brigade had a string of base camps along the DMZ and the Dusters were used on these bases as perimeter security against ground attacks. There were two on the camp I was on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M42_Duster
Another neat piece of weaponry used in Vietnam was also originally designed for anti-aircraft but used against personnel. This was the Quad 50, which was a 4 gun mount of Browning 50 cals in a turret mounted on a 5 ton truck. These were used for convoy security.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_50
:thumb:
My buddies told me his dad, in WW2 Pacific Campaign, used them a few times.

He said anything you lined them suckers up with, it devastated; tree's, people, you name it! Since them Japs didn't have any medium or heavy tanks it was a real doozy.

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Well, I brought back a wife and a child and these here sandals. Man, do I love these sandals."

Before you beat him up to bad over his lack of love for his spouse and child, understand, his wife was a total terror and his son was a sociopath. Well on his way to becoming some kind of serial killer or something. Really. He had been arrested for cruelty to animals (hanging cats and dogs on a swing set and cutting them open with a knife... while they were still alive), destruction of goverment property, burglary, etc. And, he was only 15 at this time.
Al
Sounds like he was all tangled up with a Saigon Special right there.

·
M.R. Not
4,677 Posts
I have my Dad's 1911, from the Big one WWII, reportedly lost crossing the Rhine, and after the report of survey, subsequently found at the bottom of the river... Yeah sure!!!

Rancher

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
My 'bring back' was a Serbian flag that was flying over the base we 'liberated' back in '99 in Kosovo. I don't think it was touched by Milosovik but it's something I hang on to to remind of those times.

There was another thing I had the opportunity to bring back which was like a leather binoculars case the officers carried. It was a cheap-looking thing and I grabbed the flag instead.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I have a few from old fellas. There is a nambu 8mm pistol with holster and a arisaka carbine or short rifle. Then there's the berretta 9mm machine gun my granddad had but he got nervous back in the 1950's and sold it to a gun collector that put together proper paperwork for it.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
P08 Lugar in great shape. My dad won it in a card game in WWII. Flew with the 8th AF out of southern England. Gave it to me a few years before he passed. Don't shoot it much anymore, but It sure is a conversation starter at the range. An aside…. when I first took it out to shoot I used an original magazine with ammo from 1939 the rounds had been in the mag for well over 50 years! No evidence of spring fatigue or any other problems, every round went bang.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts