Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had mixed results with LED bulbs that I've used to replace the incandescent bulbs in my house. Some do okay; some fail within a year, but none that I've purchased have been 'good'.

I'm looking for any recommendations for bulbs that will actually last.

On a slightly different topic, I want to have available some LED lighting that I can put into some of the rooms as emergency lighting, i.e., lighting that will be run off my generator or maybe eventually a solar system. Suggestions? I don't know if strip lighting or single lighting or ???

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Would not use them. Before they were illegal we bought two cases of 60 watt soft lights.
Our bulbs were made in Ohio. All the new ones come form China.

Remember in China there is no good, only cheap.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
I use Feit 100w replacements from Costco. But I have some others mixed in.

I find the utilitech ones from lowes, while much much cheaper, cause radio and TV interference.

I've never had an LED bulb go bad though. Every one I've ever bought is still running.

CFLs on the other hand where pretty crappy.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
The early LED bulbs did suck and they burned out within a year, despite the packaging claims. At least the ones I bought did.

But it seems like about 2 to 3 years ago they suddenly got better. My entire home is LED and those are mostly Wal-Mart brand. Haven't had any go out or give me any problems.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I've had mixed results with LED bulbs that I've used to replace the incandescent bulbs in my house. Some do okay; some fail within a year, but none that I've purchased have been 'good'.

I'm looking for any recommendations for bulbs that will actually last.

On a slightly different topic, I want to have available some LED lighting that I can put into some of the rooms as emergency lighting, i.e., lighting that will be run off my generator or maybe eventually a solar system. Suggestions? I don't know if strip lighting or single lighting or ???
For some of my emergency lighting needs I bought a few USB powered LED bulbs.

This past hunting season we used them extensively and they worked awesome. We would hook up two and hang them above us at night while we played poker. It lit up the area just fine and they only use 10 watts each.

We had Coleman lanterns of course, but we didn't use them because the bulbs did the job just fine.

Here's the one I got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HR74WNX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
This time of year, if you look around, you can still find left over strings of white LED Christmas lights. CHEAP & disposable area light. Not going to blind you bright but enough to navigate by and will use little current. I use string for my basement range and the hallway to the garage works good enough and not stumbling around in the dark.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
This time of year, if you look around, you can still find left over strings of white LED Christmas lights. CHEAP & disposable area light. Not going to blind you bright but enough to navigate by and will use little current. I use string for my basement range and the hallway to the garage works good enough and not stumbling around in the dark.
Excellent idea~!

·
Retired curmudgeon
18,353 Posts
I use Feit 100w replacements from Costco. But I have some others mixed in.

I find the utilitech ones from lowes, while much much cheaper, cause radio and TV interference.

I've never had an LED bulb go bad though. Every one I've ever bought is still running.

CFLs on the other hand where pretty crappy.
Same here. 50+ of them. No failures. No RF noise that my AM radio can detect.

With Costco if they go bad, just return them.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
I use a lot of christmas and rope lights, inside and outside my house. They use hardly any power and most of the time I prefer them to regular bulbs. Some of the modern LED rope lights are really tough and bright and an be used for serious lighting.

·
Retired curmudgeon
18,353 Posts
I use a lot of christmas and rope lights, inside and outside my house. They use hardly any power and most of the time I prefer them to regular bulbs. Some of the modern LED rope lights are really tough and bright and an be used for serious lighting.
The white LED Christmas lights I got a hold of (CHEAP $1 per string) flicker. Simple half-wave rectifier which is what a diode does. I couldn't stand to look at them all the time.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually bought a bunch on after Christmas sales ... but didn't even think to try to just use them as an area light. My wife still has all our Christmas decorations & tree up. Yep .... Christmas music too. A happy wife means ... :thumb:

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
The white LED Christmas lights I got a hold of (CHEAP $1 per string) flicker. Simple half-wave rectifier which is what a diode does. I couldn't stand to look at them all the time.
Yeah, the cheap ones will do that. The ones I use for are lighting do not, but they cost about $20 per 50' string. I got the warm white ones and I have them under all my eves and use them year round for outside area lighting.

I use a these rope lights inside on a dimmer for room lighting. They are really bright, too bright really without a dimmer most of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TPJ95LZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

A cool thing about them is they are designed so you can cut them to length so you can string them tight against a wall ceiling, etc and then cut them right to length so there is nothing left over. Makes for a really clean install.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have had very good service with Leason 75 watt led bulbs from Amazon. I also have some 60 watt equals from wal mart that have lasted over 4 years and those lights stay on a lot each day. I haven't tried either of these purchased in the last 2 years however.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts