Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ghee is an form of clarified butter where the milk solids and all the water is boiled off and screened off of the butter and leaves the pure butter oil left....ghee is shelf stable and wont go rancid like the canned butter that you find all over youtube. Ghee is processed longer than what the videos on youtube show you....just melting the butter and putting in jars is not enough of a heating process to store the butter. Please educate yourselves before you put money into just heating and canning butter....do your own research on GHEE and determine for your self how this beneficial butter oil can work for you and your family :)

I personally have used and stored Ghee for a while and know people who have used it for about my entire life....have any questions just ask and I'll try to help :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee
Nutrition

Like any clarified butter, ghee is composed almost entirely of fat; the nutrition facts label found on bottled cow's ghee produced in the USA indicates eight mg. of cholesterol per teaspoon. Ghee is very high in Vitamin A and Vitamin D content. It can be supportive for eye and bone health. Ghee helps the absorption of not only vitamins and minerals but also phytonutrients.

Ghee has been shown to slightly, but not significantly, reduce serum cholesterol in one rodent study.[3] Studies in Wistar rats have revealed one mechanism by which ghee reduces plasma LDL cholesterol. This action is mediated by an increased secretion of biliary lipids.

Indian restaurants and some households may use hydrogenated vegetable oil (also known as vanaspati, dalda, or "vegetable ghee") in place of ghee due to its lower cost. This "vegetable ghee" may contain trans fat. Trans fats are increasingly linked to serious chronic health conditions. The term shuddh ghee, however, is not officially enforced in many regions, so partially hydrogenated oils are marketed as pure ghee in some areas. Where this is illegal in India, law enforcement often cracks down on the sale of fake ghee.[4] Ghee is also sometimes called desi (country-made) ghee or asli (genuine) ghee to distinguish it from "vegetable ghee."

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post! How long can I expect ghee to keep?

Since Ghee is a oil 2 years minimum and some say 5-7 years others say indefinitely....most Ghee sold in stores has no expiration date.

Ghee has 0% moisture when done correctly and the moisture in the fat is what causes oils to go rancid....so it all depends on how thorough you are at getting all the milk solids and water out of the butter oil.

You know when your oil has no water let in it when you no longer see bubbles forming and coming to the top....the water is what makes it bubble.

If it helps you I have a 1/2 gallon ball canning jar with Ghee in it that has been on my stove being used for the last 8 months and I don't have a lid on it....it still hasn't lost any of the flavor and hasn't went rancid....I make sure to get all of the milk solids out and water out without burning it :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thanks for reminding me of this. I used to take it with me camping. I learned about clarified butter back about 15 years ago in a backpacking book. Your right, good stuff.

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
The man boobs were a bit creepy, but the video was very instructional. I might actually be able to make ghee without burning it this time. I don't know that I'd use a whole 5 lb. block the first few times though. :D:

·
silenced
3,002 Posts
awesome, ive never tried ghee, but want to, from what i understand its a wonderful food, pretty much superfood status. i also have read that the old yogi's of india would put alittle ghee mixture on an infants tongue to help give nutrients/enzymes/probiotics

·
Registered
814 Posts
I had my first taste of ghee this last month, and have to be honest: I'd much rather use plain old butter if I'm going to put fat on my toast. Or just dip bread in olive oil. The ghee flavor was yucky and the texture somewhat grainy. Not palatable at all.

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had my first taste of ghee this last month, and have to be honest: I'd much rather use plain old butter if I'm going to put fat on my toast. Or just dip bread in olive oil. The ghee flavor was yucky and the texture somewhat grainy. Not palatable at all.

Depends on how it was prepared....if grainy then it still had some water content to it :thumb:....if cooked to long it can be burnt or scorched....if done right it is as tasty as butter is :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts