Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put back $200.00 and want to goto the store here momentarily to buy food for emergency backup for my family of 4, though I suspect I may have to take on a few relatives.

1)Is there a list of recommended foods that will hold expiration that I can get? Maybe a list already established on the forum I can scan over?
2)List of recommended medicine OTC?
3)How many waters? go gallon or bottle?
4)Still need to get a first-aid kit.

If a few of you can respond, I am going to head to the store in a little bit to get first round of backup.

Thanks!

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
no relatives - your kids will starve

rice
beans
spam
vienna suasages
sugar
salt
honey

start with that as well as a few rigid food grade water containers

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Do you have a water source nearby? Creek, stream, river lake? Get a water filter instead of buying water.

Do you know how to empty your hot water heater? It is holding 40 gal of potable water.

Busher gave you a good list to start with.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Add store brand fruit canned with fruit juice, since you have kds.

Milk powder, for the same reason. You use it for cooking so that it won't go bad. You cannot tell the difference between fresh and powdered milk in mac 'n cheese, for example.

Hersheys choc syrup, if you want to be absolutely sure they'll drink powdered milk.

Peanut butter (ca you tell I'm a mom? LOL)

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
The rule of thumb for water is one gallon, per person, per day. And that is a MINIMUM. You may well require more than that. Water needs to be your No. 1 priority. Soft drink bottles are good to wash out and reuse for storing water. Milk jugs are not, because you can't get all the milk residue out of the plastic.

Otherwise, buy what you know your family will eat. (A lot of people will tell you to buy huge quantities of dried beans and rice. But, you will get awfully tired of eating primarily just those two foods, day after day.)

Cruise the canned goods aisles. Lots of choices there. Tuna, salmon, ham, Spam, roast beef, corned beef, chicken, turkey, chili, stew and a variety of canned veggies and fruits for starters. Also peanut butter. Something that is often overlooked is canned citrus fruits (oranges, grapefruit, etc.) Without these, you have a risk of getting scurvy. Citrus is not cheap, but having your teeth fall out from scurvy isn't fun, either.

I'm not a big fan of canned soups, because so much of that product is water. And, they're really high in sodium. You do need a certain amount of salt, but probably not as much as the soup manufacturers put into their products. And I can get water, free, from my kitchen sink faucet. I don't need to buy it from Campbell's, etc.

You will get more ideas, yourself, as you accumulate your food preps.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I have put back $200.00 and want to goto the store here momentarily to buy food for emergency backup for my family of 4, though I suspect I may have to take on a few relatives.

1)Is there a list of recommended foods that will hold expiration that I can get? Maybe a list already established on the forum I can scan over?
2)List of recommended medicine OTC?
3)How many waters? go gallon or bottle?
4)Still need to get a first-aid kit.

If a few of you can respond, I am going to head to the store in a little bit to get first round of backup.

Thanks!
You need to ask the family what they'll eat not us.

I'd say buy what you normally eat also buy some simple canned stuff that just needs to be heated or could be eaten cold. After get a plan do some research and start prepping.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I used 2 liter soda bottles for quite a while when I first started. We don't drink much soda, but lots of friends were willing to give them to me to avoid the hassle of returning them.

When you are first starting to store food, think of it as making a really large, well stocked larder. Freeze dried foods, 50 lb bags of grains and beans are better to wait until you have lots of pasta, spagheti sauce, rice and all the suggestions listed above.

This will probably get you through the current rush on Mountain House and other long term storage foods too.

Reactions: stevenmac2

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Others have commented (quite well) on food and water. Consider canned goods (including milk) and dehydrated milk and dietary supplements. And candy for energy and morale. But as to the OTC medication request:

Aspirin and other pain killers. Anti nausea, diarrhea, and constipation medicines. Caffeine pills. A good multiple vitamin. Things to soothe symptoms like sore throat, runny nose, aching muscles, fever, and chills. Sleeping pills.
And in the Miscellaneous aisle, items like oil of cloves and topical analgesics. Antiseptics. Feminine hygiene products. Sterilizing wipes. Bandages. Sun block. Burn relief. The things you'd need if everything went bad.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Here's a food list generated for 4 people from a site based on LDS food storage requirements for 1 year...just a guide to give you a better idea of the amount of food/what kind of food...that you'll need for a long term SHTF possibility...

Looking for the url for the above mentioned site...someone else will probably find it before I do tho...:confused:

Attachments

·
Be Prepared
59 Posts
I have a Sav-A-Lot close to me. I have started getting extra soups, tuna, fruit, corned beef hash, baked beans and spagettios when I go. I know my kids will eat that. They are the cheapest I have found on regular sized cans.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just returned back from the store after 2 hours being there. I targeted a lot of what many of you mentioned. There are some things I probably need to go back for. I didn't get any chemicals or cleaners per say like bleach, will handle that like at a dollar tree or some other big discount store to pick up that material.

Thanks to everyone for helping me get started this morning. I didn't want to delay any further!

I still need to get some pots and pans, maybe a home made solar cooker of sort. The water issue, I don't know what to do about. Not really near a primary source of water close by - that one is going to be tough. Should I get a water purifier soon and start storing the tap water?

Also, I was going to try to by something like milk powder (didnt' see it for some reason), but found like condensed milk, evaporated milk, maybe something else - what is the difference? which would I want to buy of those if I don't have powder readily available? Will it suffice as a 2% milk?

Thanks everyone - you are the best!
Steven Mac

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Busher,

I shared your comment about "no relatives" or the kids would starve with my wife, and she agreed - even though it is her mother and sister. They actually live a neighborhood over (and they don't think 5 minutes ahead in their lives - all for the moment). So I figured I was going to end up with them on my doorstep.

At first, it would seem innocent that they will want help, but they have a very selfish side to them. As long as they get theirs, they don't care about the impact to anyone else. Not sure how I will handle them in a situation.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Do you have a water source nearby? Creek, stream, river lake? Get a water filter instead of buying water.

Do you know how to empty your hot water heater? It is holding 40 gal of potable water.

Busher gave you a good list to start with.
I like that idea until I think of situations like what is going on in Japan where people are asked to seal up and stay in their homes. For those I think it's good to have a decent supply set back. Past that a filter is a good idea. I ordered a Berkey recently (still waiting for it to ship) and am constantly thinking of where the best/closest place for me is with a pond/river/stream I'm not sure I like my options as one of the streams has water from the waste treatment plant dumping into it. I'm assuming that it's not contaminated but haven't looked into it yet.

We do a lot of training out there so I plan on checking into that and other things as well soon.

anyway, back on topic.

I started with cans of foods I currently use and then you can go from there, put some water back regardless.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Busher,

I shared your comment about "no relatives" or the kids would starve with my wife, and she agreed - even though it is her mother and sister....

...Not sure how I will handle them in a situation.
Simple. They get survival rations. 700 calories a day. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts