Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im intresting in buy m1911 series in .45auto , but i want 1911 that is close to A1 .
Any hint so i don't get rip off ? Can anyone name the maker, and give me a esimate of brand new and used price?

P.S- Are all .45auto magazine workable on all 1911 fullsize?

thanks

·
Banned
630 Posts
I would go with Springfield armory, they have many models to choose from, they manufacture excellent pistols, they have great warranty service, the slides and frames are forged....and yes all 1911 magazines will fit each other...
Average price according to model from $550.00 to $1850.00..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would go with Springfield armory, they have many models to choose from, they manufacture excellent pistols, they have great warranty service, the slides and frames are forged....and yes all 1911 magazines will fit each other...
Average price according to model from $550.00 to $1850.00..
I just saw a Colt 1911 .45acp look like A1 series?
$850? look brand new at gander mountain.
good price or not?

·
Plinker
746 Posts
A comment on mags, though most all are "made" for the 1911's, I would still make it a point to "break it in" thoroughly by firing or cycling rounds through the pistol. (Finger off the trigger of course)

·
Registered
109 Posts
one more thing? is the .45acp good for home defense? would it over penetrate?
With all due respect, there's about 10 million posts, pages and reams of opinions, tests and data on the subject of handgun ballistics and another 10 million variables that change it all. Probably about 50 years worth for you to read and research. You've got Internet access, just do a little research or a lot; whatever you need to make a decision.

Regarding over-penetration I don't want to be behind anyone or anything other than thick steel armor plating when someone is shooting my way no matter what the caliber is. The .45 is a proven round as are most of the other top contenders; there are a few characteristics of each caliber and a lot of personal preference along the way but most any will do the job if you'll do the job.

If you want the sheeple question answered for you just go buy a .45 if that's what you're hot for and get some professional training so you can hit your intended target. Most all the modern and standard issue rounds will over penetrate unless you hit a few bones.

Make the decision, write the check and move on to another area of your preps. Time is of the essence and every moment you waste slogging through these little ****-ant details is another moment you've lost on something else that is equally important.

·
Registered
582 Posts
one more thing? is the .45acp good for home defense? would it over penetrate?
Just use a good hollow point of about 160 to 180 grains, or frangible ammunition. But depending on what you are home defending from, you might want penetration.;)

Now as stated elsewhere Please buy at least one case of canned soup before being eligible to ask another firearms related question.(see rules on posting):rolleyes:

Reactions: robstar

·
Registered
23 Posts
Read the newspapers. Most home invasion robbers die in the front yard, or stagger off to their vehicle to die.

No neighbors were "over penetrated".

Who peddles this nonsense and why?

·
Not prepper...PROVIDER
312 Posts
Under penetration is all I worry about. But everyone has to address their own situations and concerns. A 1911 and a 12 gauge pump are the tools I'll call on when the time comes.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The 1911 will go through sheetrock, 2 x 4s, most common building walls. Hollowpoints expand, ball rounds stay right on target.

Mags should be test fired 100rds minimum to cycle firearm. Cheap isn't always best. Wilson 47Ds, and Chip McCormack work well in my Rock Island 1911A1. Others are hit/miss.

Shotgun discussion is very common. I have a Mossberg 500, with a 18 1/2 in barrel, holds 5, plus a sidesaddle which holds 5 more rounds. My preferred load is: 00 Buck, #4, Deer Slug, repeat.

I also own a S&W M10, 38 spec, 4in barrel. Very dependable, was my first PD Service Revolver. Simple, no whistles and bells, just works.

Any of the above would provide security of your home/ CCW.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Unless you're very experienced with 1911s or have just won the lottery, I look at the Rock Island Tactical Models. I haven't talked with anyone whose had problems with their Rock Island 1911 running. And they won't break the bank. They also have excellent Warranties and service.

One must remember the Rock Island's Model of the 1911A1 will chew the web of your shooting hand with hammer bite as do all the 1911A1 type of guns. The Tactical Models have a Beaver Tail Grip Safety and Commander Type of Hammes that pretty much ends that problem.

Which ever gun you go with, Good Luck, be careful and have fun.

Jungle Work

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
I picked up a problem child Rock Island GI , cheap, only problem was with the magazine.It didnt like the 8 rnd mag that came with it. gun has cycled 1000 rounds since i bought it. doesn't care what it eats. good entry level 1911.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts