Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
My P22 was great for a little while, but now it fails to feed and/or eject on almost every round! I have completely pulled that thing apart and cleaned the living s**t out of it, but it still won't function correctly.

·
Registered
801 Posts
My wife and daughter have P22's; they don't like hollow point or wicked cheap ammo too much but rarely jam up, try better ammo or go with solid points, I think the hollows catch on their way to the pipe.

·
dont panic!!
23 Posts
Ive had one for about 5 years and its a fun little gun to shoot....when its working properly..
..cci stingers don't feed through mine at all..
..My friend had one as well and had to send it back to Walther due to problems feeding/ejecting..they attempted to fix it (and failed), they sent it back unfixed and advised him to clean every single time he shot - which isnt a bad habit to get into, but still not a fix..He ended up selling it..the only reason i still have mine is because twas a present..

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
They just feel cheaply made to me ,and they are a PITA to strip down. They are not de-burred either,meaning they have a lot of sharp edges that snag on clothing. Most failure to feed complaints have usually been attributed to faulty magazines,however ,as stated above, hollowpts can give a lot of guns fits as well. I wish this gun's quality was as good as it's physical appearance.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
The best thing I can say is, they work 'til they don't.
They're not built to last, the metal used is soft and cracks easily.
If you plan to shoot it a lot, look elsewhere.
It's principal claim to fame is the ability to suppress them easily and they are an inexpensive way to get into a "quiet" toy.

For the same money, I'd try and find a Buckmark Micro (4") model and be well ahead.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
I have one. I bought it with the 5 inch barrel and ended up getting a 3.4 inch barrel for it to eliminate a major design defect. The 5in model has a compensator on it which twisted out of alignment after 50 or so rounds. I then would have to unscrew the hex screws and back off the worm screw on the top of the comp, realign the comp to the frame (the front sight was on the comp) and re-tighten the whole thing. Doing this every 50 rounds was unacceptable in the worst way.

I gave Walther's customer service a call (actually its Smith&Wesson's customer service) and after a number of back a forth exchanges I was shipped a new 3.4 inch barrel thus eliminating the need to ever use that POS 5in barrel again. All in all the pistol has been very reliable with feeding and groups well.

I have primarily used CCI stingers and mini mags but I've also used Remington thunderbolts, winchester super X (may have been called yellowjackets?) and several others I can't recall now. The P22 has a reputation of preferring the CCI ammo and mine was no exception. All fed fine but the CCI was more consistent on paper.

As for the others with feeding problems, The original mags Walther made were faulty and caused problems. Walther is aware of this problem and will replace those mags. It's the most common of feeding problems not related to type of ammo.

Reactions: Festes

·
Gunsmith
203 Posts
I had one for a while found that it wouldn't feed anything with soft bullets had to buy the copper jacketed stuff, also wasn't all that accurate. Recently bought a sig misquito and like it quite a bit so far however I haven't really done an accuracy test, but overall it seems like a much better gun.

Oh edit: I also owned a g22 "the bullpup rifle" and it had the same jamming issues.

·
Question Authority!
260 Posts
Mine is great, it says in the manual only use high velocity rounds. I put the undermount lazer on mine what a great little gun.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
The best thing I can say is, they work 'til they don't.
They're not built to last, the metal used is soft and cracks easily.
If you plan to shoot it a lot, look elsewhere.
It's principal claim to fame is the ability to suppress them easily and they are an inexpensive way to get into a "quiet" toy.

For the same money, I'd try and find a Buckmark Micro (4") model and be well ahead.
The metal on the slide is softer. If it cracks though, I think all you have to do is send in the pistol and they will replace the slide. I have heard of people on rimfire central putting 20K+ rounds through the weapon with no problems.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My P22 was great for a little while, but now it fails to feed and/or eject on almost every round! I have completely pulled that thing apart and cleaned the living s**t out of it, but it still won't function correctly.
Mine started having problems after 5000 rounds. I had the gunsmith at my shooting club replace both the recoil spring and firing pin spring and it's back up and running.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bought mine in spring 2007,got the 3.4" barrel,am extremely pleased with the P-22,Federal bulk packs work wonderfully in it,it's favorite H.P. is the CCI Velocitor 40 grain Golddot.

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
It was about to start a favorite .22 auto thread with this gun in mind because I think it's a tough looking little piece. Now I'm right off where I started. Several saying jammomatic, several saying 5000 without a hiccup. Sounds like poor QC to me. Is there a thread with suggestions for 22s or should I start one?

·
Registered
38 Posts
my wife has one. very slick looking little pistol. I prefer my Glock 17, or my Astra Constable 380, but the P22 is still very cool. Seems to be reliable and easy to shoot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts