Survivalist Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
They’re people getting a measly tiny paycheck for doing honest, if annoying, work. I let them do as they will. Most of the people here just let us pass unless we have a large item like a 50lb bag of dog food. I’d rather they get a paycheck than have to be on public assistance.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They’re people getting a measly tiny paycheck for doing honest, if annoying, work. I let them do as they will. Most of the people here just let us pass unless we have a large item like a 50lb bag of dog food. I’d rather they get a paycheck than have to be on public assistance.
Normally they don't ask me,but they stop other people for a receipt check.

They finally asked me and I showed it to the door greeter.

legally though, they have to have probable cause to stop you. It's absurd because that is what the checkout line, door scanners, ans security cams are supposed to accomplish.

I feel like a I failed to guard a basic civil right, the 4th amendment by complying.

Most of us are nice people and will comply with a request to see your receipt. But comply enough and you effectively lose your rights.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,929 Posts
The alternative is to not shop at anti American WM since they're in bed with Bloomberg ; being treated like a thief without cause is not helping their image either far as I can tell.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I HATE THIS!!!! It ****es me off to no end and I've gotten to the point where I actually avoid Walmart because of it.

True story; Working for the FD we use to hand out Fire Prevention info at the entrance to the local Walmart one day a year. So on this particularly sunny June day we noticed a couple go into the store wearing long overcoats and the lady carry a large handbag. This was very suspicious to us. Later we noticed the same couple come out of the store with no packages in hand and walk to their car which was in plain sight from our position. The couple opened the trunk and started unloading items from their coat pockets and the large purse, they actually had large pockets inside their coats. Just as they were about to shut the trunk the head of security came running out and stopped them. He called for the cart guy (who had been BSing with us) to bring him out an empty cart and we all watched as the security guard and cart guy loaded it with mostly hair care and toiletry items. The two employees brought the full cart back to the store and the thieving couple drove away. I asked the security guard if he wasn't going to call the police and press charges. He told me it was too much trouble and that the couple would just be banned from the store (as they headed off to rob the next Walmart!).

So it's too much trouble for WM to press charges against actual criminals and yet they have no problem stopping the guy who they just watched on camera pay for everything.

What I have found is that if I tie the bag shut on my items they don't stop me. I can also time it so the one checker is busy harassing someone else as I slip by.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
9,695 Posts
The alternative is to not shop at anti American WM since they're in bed with Bloomberg ; being treated like a thief without cause is not helping their image either far as I can tell.
I don't shop there any more because they stopped selling ammo for pistols, AR15's and AK47's. There are other non semiauto rifles that take .223/5.56, as well as 7.62x39. Hell they even sell a Rifle that shoots .357 magnum and a few that shot 9mm.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
9,695 Posts
They don’t check receipts at our local Walmart. I don’t see it as a problem when I’m in a store where they do check them. You can always shop somewhere else.
the only time they check them here is if you have a big dollar Item that is not in a bag.

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
3,667 Posts
I do it if there is no line, you dont have to stop, they are quick. Any line or they are yapping with another customer. I just scoot on past and say thank you, no time for lines today.

during the summer when the garden section is busy they didnt even post a scanner at the 2 out doors there.

It is because of the 50% off self check out lines and bring your own bags that increased loss I believe.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
If shoplifting loss is so great then why don't they prosecute?
Answer: Because it's too much trouble, cost too much and isn't worth the effort.

Also, I know a guy who works at the local WM, he's disabled so he gets to sit at the entrance and check receipts. I asked him what happens if someone doesn't stop and he told me "nothing and we can't stop you from leaving".

I believe most stores lose more from employee theft.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,135 Posts
The issue now is that with Walmart eliminating checkout lines with employees doing the scanning, It's now easy to scan some of your things and skip scanning other things. You can look like you're scanning your stuff but not actually do it. The un-bagged item thing is just an excuse to take a look at what you have and compare it to the receipt. Kinda like a "Terry stop" that the police do.
If you were to deliberately not scan one of your items and then put it in the bag with other items that you did scan and pay for, You would likely not be checked at the door on your way out so their security system fails at that point.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The issue now is that with Walmart eliminating checkout lines with employees doing the scanning, It's now easy to scan some of your things and skip scanning other things. You can look like you're scanning your stuff but not actually do it. The un-bagged item thing is just an excuse to take a look at what you have and compare it to the receipt. Kinda like a "Terry stop" that the police do.
If you were to deliberately not scan one of your items and then put it in the bag with other items that you did scan and pay for, You would likely not be checked at the door on your way out so their security system fails at that point.
They have security cams all over the place. They should at least do their security checking using their cams so as not to inconvenience you and violate your rights.

of course if they have evidence that you took something, then by all means make the stop.

But I already went through checkout. Odds are I did the checkout myself because they were too cheap to hire a cashier.

If the thanks I get is to be Terry stopped on the way out the door, then no thanks.

Also, they hardly even glanced at my receipt anyway.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
They used to use the theft detection scanners at the door. More often than not no one ever cared when the thing went off. I think it'd be more effective to just have a security guard actually standing at the detectors and interact with customers when the alarm went off than to inconvenience everyone with the receipt checking.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
For a LEO to perform a "Terry Stop" they have to have reasonable suspicion that you are violating a law and must be brief. So what would be the reasonable suspicion; being present in the store?, doing self check out?

If they have video of you not scanning and item and bagging it (and they are recording you as you scan every item) then they would be reasonable in stopping you. Other then that they are violating your rights by detaining you.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I refused to show the receipt the last time I was asked. It was years ago and the guy had mental problems and he just waved me through. I hated to do it, but they had me very annoyed that day.

As for shopping else where, where are you going to go? In the closest city to me, Wal Mart put all the other stores out of business. The only thing left is a crappy grocery store.

1 - 20 of 324 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.