Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To help keep the weight on my Arabian I buy corn in the horse aisle for $8.18 for 40# of whole kernel, or cracked corn for 8.58. I've been thinking of grinding some up for cornmeal. It's a cheaper allternative than popcorn, any comments or suggestions before I do this.

It's not the highest quality but I can pick out the bad kernels as I'm grinding since I won't be doing much at a time. I just figure it would be a cheap source of cornmeal and have always wondered. Also figured I would share this source of dried corn kernels for people who don't have a feed store nearby.

Also should I use the whole kernel or the cracked corn?

Reactions: AshiVon

·
Registered
117 Posts
To help keep the weight on my Arabian I buy corn in the horse aisle for $8.18 for 40# of whole kernel, or cracked corn for 8.58. I've been thinking of grinding some up for cornmeal. It's a cheaper allternative than popcorn, any comments or suggestions before I do this.

It's not the highest quality but I can pick out the bad kernels as I'm grinding since I won't be doing much at a time. I just figure it would be a cheap source of cornmeal and have always wondered. Also figured I would share this source of dried corn kernels for people who don't have a feed store nearby.

Also should I use the whole kernel or the cracked corn?
Holy smokes ...good lookin' out, as we'd say in the bronx. I'd have gond for the whole kernel myself, and you can grind it for grits and cornmeal right. Can u pop it like pop corn as well?

And what about the other "feed grains" at the feed store. Can u use oats the same way?

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Part of my preps are 1000 lbs. of cracked corn, 1000 lbs of kernel corn, 1000 lbs of three way grain (oats, barley, wheat) problem with california is all their feeds are prepackaged. You can't just buy a truckload of corn, wheat or oats like I could in wisconsin. Most of your feed stocked by walmart is three way with molasses plus cracked corn all mixed up As for the corn it's definitely low-grade (feed corn) and dehydrated, no way it would pop.

But since most my other food storage is done. I'm now storing up for the horses and just think it would be good to see if I can utilize this source in a pinch. After I see how the cornmeal turns out I'm going to look into uses for the grain ( my feed store has non molasses three way) I could always sort it out or grind up the whole thing and try three way bread or use the molasses grain to make beer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts