Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for another 500 rounds of .22 ammo for awhile... after many trips to the local stores.. I was at the local walmart yesterday... I final asked the clerk what was going on with the .22 ammo and a couple others...

I was told that there are a few folks that show up first think in the morning when they are stocking and if there is ammo being put out they buy their limit them call their friends.

walmart here has had no .22 for months and months

I have to wonder...if walmart is selling it that fast why dont they order more...or are they limited to the amount they can get

and what the heck are these people doing with all the ammo..

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
Most of those folks are reselling online, making a few dollars. Sometimes a bunch of dollars... Great way to augment that Obama money, no? Lot's of free time, and untraceable extra money... I guess it's more acceptable than dealing drugs.

Fact is, so many firearms have been sold in "the panic" that there is a massive increase in demand.
Manufacturers are reluctant to increase production capacity because the anti business, anti 2A, Obama admininstration is just waiting to pounce and make all their investment into giant albatrosses...
I wouldn't spend a dime to increase production while I could increase profitability on raising prices caused by increased demand. It just makes sense.
They're not in business to provide us ample, cheap, ammo. They're in business to make money.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
It's not as easy to just ramp up .22 production as you might think.

They are running WFO, and probably will be doing so for years............

If Wal-Mart told you they haven't had it for months, they are lying to you. It does get sold within minutes though.......

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
11,187 Posts
May sound strange but I am one of those guys that is there were they bring it out. We shoot it. With eight sons, three son in laws and a bunch of grandkids, we go through it pretty fast. I used to keep at least 22,000 rounds on hand, which is just about a years supply. I'm lucky to keep half that these days.

·
Survivor
5,533 Posts
I've hit it intermittently and gotten a few boxes here and there of 50. Many LGS are usually in stock since the extortion is often sourcing their goods from online retailers and big box stores. I have little doubt that the "re-sellers" are fueling the fear of individual ammo buying on top of an already limited supply. It's annoying for many people who actually use the ammo and can't find it.

Thankfully it's only .22 and not every popular caliber.

·
Peacemaker....
538 Posts
Great way to augment that Obama money, no? Lot's of free time, and untraceable extra money... I guess it's more acceptable than dealing drugs.
HAHA! you have me rolling on the ground imagining some welfare king or queen getting up at 7 in the morning to get ammo... lol please tell another joke.

Seriously though, people are selling it online to make a few bucks. I have been there too at the butt crack of dawn to get ammo, but i'm sitting on it. I do not think .22 is coming down for a bit. Wikiarms has it at 20 cents per round (yowza!). On the flip side though, 7.62x39 has come down about 8 cents per round, 5.56 has come down 20 cents per round and 9mm, 10 cents per round, which is nice because i would prefer to fight the next civil war with something larger than .22

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
HAHA! you have me rolling on the ground imagining some welfare king or queen getting up at 7 in the morning to get ammo... lol please tell another joke.

Seriously though, people are selling it online to make a few bucks. I have been there too at the butt crack of dawn to get ammo, but i'm sitting on it. I do not think .22 is coming down for a bit. Wikiarms has it at 20 cents per round (yowza!). On the flip side though, 7.62x39 has come down about 8 cents per round, 5.56 has come down 20 cents per round and 9mm, 10 cents per round, which is nice because i would prefer to fight the next civil war with something larger than .22
I was being a little tongue in cheek there, but it annoys me that it's being scalped like it is.
I did luck into some 9mm the other night at WM. Just happened to check about 9PM to see what they had, and the lady was stocking 100 round boxes of WWB as I got there. Bought my limit, and called a few friends to do the same. It was gone in less than an hour...
Demand is the big driver. That's not such a bad thing IMHO.

Reactions: Desertlion

·
Registered
577 Posts
My WM has just lowered the American Eagle .223 20rnd boxes to $8.00 because no one was buying it at the new $10.50 (ish) price. I'll be going back soon.

I have found that 9mm is my new .22lr. It's fun, low recoil, accurate and 2.5x the energy of a .22.....and it's at WM. I wish I had a 10/22 and a MkII in 9mm!

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
I go every so often on those early AM visits. It's hit or miss, even being first in line. I got 2of those Federal fresh pacs for $17.99 ea, last week. CTD wants $99 ea for them. Not the manufacturers, it's still demand that's driving retail supply/price issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am thinking the .22 caliber ammo shortage is multi-factoral...

scalpers being near or perhaps at the top of the list

preppers who think that the .22 caliber long rifle cartridge is the ultimate round for protection from zombies and other dangers in a shtf or teotwawki scenario

those who purchase inexpensive low quality .22 caliber rifles that resemble an AR platform rifle and buy huge amounts af ammunition to feed it (when the rifle will actually feed and not "jam")

·
Texan
1,756 Posts
I work at Walmart in automotive next to sporting goods. I check the ammo several times a day.

It is still gone within minutes of it hitting the shelf. It's the only caliber still like that the other calibers are still expensive though.

When I get 22lr I get it for myself and even checking multiple times every day I work there and I unload trucks too. It doesn't come in that often.

I have let customers behind me get some too I don't buy everything I can.

Just a few days ago I saw somebody put on armslist or craigslist a federal 550 bulk pack for $150 ea

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
The Tula goes for $5.17/20 @ my WM. I think it was $4.77 in 2012, up about 8%, that's not bad considering. Paid $2.27/100 for Remington Thunderbolts a couple weeks back. Not a huge WM fan, but when you need cheap crap they got it. Also they haven't gouged on the ammo and they easily could have.

·
Beware of the dog!
1,941 Posts
I have a cousin that is a manager at WalMart. He says they are limited to what the distribution center sends them. But, to try and counter this limitation as soon as they get a shipment they zero out the inventory again so the computer and the distribution center thinks they are out. The trouble is people buy it faster than they receive it.

I work for a bullet manufacturer (reloading bullets, not ammo) and we are making ammo today to fill the order from 2 or 3 weeks ago simply because we can't make it fast enough. Even with increasing our production capabilities by over 50% in the last year we still can not keep up with your demand for bullets. This is good and bad. Our prices have not changed since last February, and that change was minimal only due to the cost of our supplies going up at that time. I don't have a magic answer on where it is going, but you folk are buying it pretty darn fast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.