Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 4 of these. So if i fill them with city chlorinated water, do i still need to add bleach? Or do i just need to recycle/refresh them every 6 months or so? If i need to add bleach, in what ratio? 5-8 drops per gallon? I'm sure this has been asked about a billion times before but a search here on this site results in way too many slightly related threads. Thanks.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I fill mine with tap water after putting in 8 drops of bleach per gallon. Be sure to fill it to the absolute top, leaving no air (or as little as possible). By putting the bleach in first, it mixes with the water. Then if you store it in a location away from the sunlight, it will keep for years. You will hear advice to rotate it ever six months or year; and that's fine, but not really necessary.

I add the bleach when filling as a preventative measure; to nix the problem before it even begins. Why let bacteria grow and THEN treat it?

If I ever do use the water, I will still put it through a water filter; more to remove the bleach taste than anything else. I will also aerate it by pouring it from one container to another; this makes the water more pleasant to drink.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Just recycle water every 6 months or so. There is no need to treat treated water unless you want to filter it before you put it in containers. The 7 gallon containers you refer to are actually from Reliance Products and prices will vary by region. In most parts of Texas they run $7.48 each. In Denver, CO they run about $10.95 each. Do not try to stack them. Store them with spigot side up and turn them on side to use them.

Also know that if you plan to use household bleach, it does not store well. Use only Clorox bleach since it has better controls in production and it's life is longer than the generics. Bleach starts to degrade once it has been produced. It loses its effectiveness.

Invest in some purification tablets as a backup. You may also want to invest in some MR. COFFEE type filters. They are cheap and you can pre-filter lake or stream water that has particulate in it. Using a coffee filter will help your water filter extend out it's life a long way. We use a two bucket system where bucket number one takes in lake water and then we pour the water through our coffee filter into bucket number two and that is the water we filter with a Katadyn or other filter.

The nice thing about the 7 gallon containers is they are portable and can be used in a Bug out Kit when needed. Remember that 7 gallons of water weighs almost 70 pounds. a 55 gallon drum weighs 500 pounds. You will need a heavy duty dolly when moving drums of 30 gallons and up.

Good prepping. GB

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I stack my Aqua-tainers, but only 2 high. I only have 6 of them now and rotate one out each month, so the oldest is never more than 6 months old. I add a few drops of bleach when filling, but I don't know if they have a taste or not, because they are given to the hens at this point.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Cap & Spigot

Bacteria needs air to grow, less air = less opportunity for bacteria.

I also fill my stored bottles right to the brim leaving no air space. I have had no troubles with expansion.

Don't store your spigot (screwed into the cap) in the inverted position (as you buy them in the store) ..... buy 3/4 inch PVC plugs and store the spigots separately .....

air voids in the bottles also don't allow for much stackability .... the weight of stacked bottles will collapse into the voids on the bottom rows ......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Several years ago I purchased 5 of the tall slender turquoise Reliance water containers from Wal-Mart. They hold 6 gal. 2 of them have developed slow leaks, in spite of simply being filled and placed in a closet or in the basement--never handled roughly. I haven't been able to find the leaks.
Same problem with the same container you are describing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've got the same containers and if you swap the water out every 6-8 months the city chlorination is fine.

I have also put a teaspoon of bleach into each container (after filling with water) and either way works.

·
Banned
46,784 Posts
Just bought 4 of these. So if i fill them with city chlorinated water, do i still need to add bleach? Or do i just need to recycle/refresh them every 6 months or so? If i need to add bleach, in what ratio? 5-8 drops per gallon? I'm sure this has been asked about a billion times before but a search here on this site results in way too many slightly related threads. Thanks.
How much :mad:

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,560 Posts
Sterile water in a sterile container doesn't go bad.

Unless there are biologicals in your container that will use up the chlorine, what comes out of your municipally-treated tap is just fine.

My Aquatainers were rinsed out with chlorinated tap water then filled again with that same water, out of a food-grade hose (the white one).

·
What would Mal do
5,241 Posts
have 5 of em in our supplies.
I filled them with filtered water from the Berky..slow process over a few days.
put the appropriate stabil drops in there and closed em up.

even at that, I don't like to trust the water too long...we redo them periodically.

and yes, agreed, I got them for bug out purposes...if we can stay home, then we have pond, stream, pool for most immediate water needs...and a gallon jug of bleach to treat then run through the berky and take it from there.

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
I have 2 of the older 5-round Reliance containers, and 2 of the 7-gallon Aquatainers. I really like the 7-gallons, (and I stack them 2 high, but wouldn't do more), but after a earthquake disaster bug-in drill I did recently, I found that I really can't handle them effectively. I had trouble when I first got them and filled them, but didn't realize just how heavy they are and how hard to hoist up to get one on the counter or on a counter. As good as they are, I wouldn't recommend the 7-gallon totes for anyone not in good physical shape, anyone with physical disabilities, children, and small statured adults, if they have to moved once filled.

FYI: They weigh right at 60 pounds when full. Way too much for this bad back.

Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.