Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering if anybody here would have any suggestions on good walkie talkies. A good price range would be great, but suggestions based on reliability, range, and durability would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Like MacGyver, but w/guns
315 Posts
It depends on what you want but...a pair of FRS or GMRS radios should work just fine. You can get them pretty cheap nowadays too. Just about all major department and electronic stores have them.

·
Banned
1,146 Posts
I agree with stigz, unless you plan on spending a lot of money any brand will do. Dont get caught up in the "mile range scam". They all have the same power output and most ratings are fake. I would check newegg.com and amazon.com they both have good feedback systems.

·
Registered
630 Posts
i have a pair of audiovox radio's, the reason i chose them was supposidly 12 mile range, which range is disputable, but they have built in weather channels and also a built in LED flashlite and picked them up on sale with the charging stand, batteries, ear buds, and belt clip included. :cool:

·
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)
3,059 Posts
I picked up 2 pairs of Motorola FRS 100's for around $40.00 a pair at BJ's a while back.

What I added was a couple packs of rechargeable AAA batteries with a good sized mAh rating and a solar kit for charging for just in case. They have a range of about 3-5 miles.

Mine aren't top of the line but will work for short distance foraging, guard duty, and stuff like that if we needed them.

I've assigned one pair in each of our BoB's that we keepin our 2 vehicles should we get seperated (who knows).

I do recommend going outside and actually doing a dynamic test. Jump in the car and keep driving until you lose comms. That's pretty much tells ya what ya got depending on your geography and other influences. Besides, it's fun and is good refresher training and let the kids have some fun too as an experiment.

I want to get some better ones eventually (I have a set of three older ones I'll probably sell soon).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Digital Walkie Talkies

Walkie Talkies with privacy! Here is the link at Amazon.com Amazon.com: TriSquare TSX300-2VP eXRS Digital 2-Way Radio (Pair), Charcoal Metallic/Black: Electronics

Same range as gmrs, which means about 1/2 to 3/4 mile in the woods. No license. Uses digital frequency skipping so that there is no interference and scanners can't pick them up.

I bought them. They sound a little tinny, but they work. If you want to communicate with your group and not have the bad guys listen in, this is the solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts