Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Public channels means it's available to public. When a few of us go out deep we'll carry a pair. If a member has to leave the group for any reason, we'll crack them on and try to never use them unless it's an emergency. If it is an emergency, I don't care who listens in. Just my opinion...which we all know are like ***holes, everyone's got one.

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
It would be nice to use walkie talkies, but if you were trying to keep a low profile wouldn't those channels be monitored by someone else?
Yes, they'll likely be monitored by someone else, but they'll need to be in range.

How many others do you plan on being this close to?

Three rules of RF deconfliction.
Time.
Frequency.
Distance.

They can be close enough, they can be on the right frequency, but if they're not listening at the right time, they're not gonna hear jack.

To listen in, they've gotta meet all three criteria.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
87 Posts
Radios are by definition able to be monitored.

It would be nice to use walkie talkies, but if you were trying to keep a low profile wouldn't those channels be monitored by someone else?
I am a licensed Ham radio operator. That having been said, of course you can be monitored on any frequency you choose to use. The issue that will limit this is the power you are using to transmit and the antenna of the person/persons trying to monitor you.

Now you can easily use low power/family radio channel which has the ability to use not only a frequency but a scramble code as well. Can someone use the same frequency and scramble code? Of course. But unless you have a really chatty set of users, and are otherwise low profile, the odds of you being actively monitored would be reasonably low.

Like anything else, use the least power, the smallest antenna and the shortest conversation possible to achieve your communications goal.

·
Registered
12,978 Posts
The really nice thing about amature radio is frequency control and power control.
Besides quiet tones , which only mean you don't have to listen to anyone else if you don't want to.Some also will function a s repeater in of it self like a cell s
ite.
cutting the power down using the standard rubber ducky antenna can drop the range any where you like almost .
or you can hook up the same radio to amplifier boost the watts up and use a serious antenna ,ground it and reach the limits of the power you choose with in your license of course .
Some amature radios even can talk just like a phone .
I like Kenwood , but yesu and the others are fine as well .i
If you get into a group you will gain some great friends and learn volumes you cannot get from books and many of them are preppers just like you ,may be even more so.
73s

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I was mainly worried about someone from the group going out to check traps and getting hurt. I certainly wouldn't want that distress call to be a beacon for anyone else within the 'fill in the blank' mile range of a walkie talkie to come and take advantage of the injured party, and perhaps have them lead them back to base camp.
That said, some of the walkie talkies brag about a 22 plus mile range.
This may be an altogether bad idea on second thought. I think a better idea would be to develop a plan that no one goes out alone.
Thanks for the replies, very informative.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Depends on the UHF you use, a .5 watt is low powered, so does not travel far, the more powerful the radio is the further it will travel. People will tune in, but the lower the power, the less that can hear. Of course, lower power also means shorter range.

·
Bushcraft Enthusiast
342 Posts
Or you could buy a pair of walkie talkies with digital encryption.

Reactions: love2garden22

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
If you are worried about eavesdropping you could create a code like the cops do. Like a "531" in progress and so forth. Only you and your compadres know your exact code though. Your location could be tracked but they would have no idea on what you were talking about.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
i've stopped using walkie talkies almost all together. It always seems that someone is listening in or i stumble on someone elses channel. I only use them in areas with no cell reception, which for me is a rare.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Who is going to be listening? Monitoring all those frequencies would require quite a level of sophistication and effort even if you didn't encrypt. You expect someone to launch a signals intelligence operation against you when you go camping?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have a bunch of the FRS radios which are fine for non secure talk. For secure talk I use the eXRS digital radios. The have about the same range as FRS and good luck trying to decrypt them without some serious equipment. You can pick them up from Amazon.com or Best Buy.

·
Dyin aint much of a livin
421 Posts
First of all, even if you have radios that Frequency Hop, they can still be monitored. That being said, the "THEY" people have to be close enough to listen and have a concern for listening. If you have radios that have privacy channels and you are out in the middle of anywhere. Most likely you will never be heard.

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Who is going to be listening? Monitoring all those frequencies would require quite a level of sophistication and effort even if you didn't encrypt. You expect someone to launch a signals intelligence operation against you when you go camping?
Not really. There are many hunters, and quite a few crazy locals, where I go 'camping'. I don't think 'they' intentionally do anything, I think they just bump into trouble, or trouble follows them, not sure which.
In any event, I didn't want to be noticed at all.
It was my understanding that a walkie talkie was low tech and the channels open. I didn't realize there were digital versions that had secure channels. This is a much better idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
We take two way radios on climbing trips and ski trips all the time. A mountain and park full of people using them and I've never ever stumbled on some one else's channel, or had them stumble on mine. You just pair the radios together by picking a channel and then a privacy code. As I said, peak ski season, thousands on the mountain using 2 way radios and never had anyone else on our channel before.

·
goin' round and round
740 Posts
There are also encryption chips that can be installed in some Motorola models, such as HT750/1250/1550's.
They cost about $250 last time I checked (per radio), and all someone hears without a matching chip is static.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts