Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dogs and I were hiking around a pond that is off in the woods when I walked up on this snake. I was walking straight at it, but saw it before I stepped on it.

Spoiler: Even though it looks mean, it is just a water snake.

It blended in perfectly with the undergrowth.

That is the reason why I NEVER wear open toed shoes while hiking. Even though it is a water snake, it could have easily need a cotton mouth, or a copper head.

In fact, just a few minutes before this video was taken I saw a "real" cotton mouth in the pond It slithered off the bank and into the water before I could get the camera up, but the head was almost as big as my fist.

Luckily the dogs were off chasing something, and only one was with me.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree on the shoes..... even non-poisonous, if you stepped on that and he bit you it would hurt like hell and still probably make you sick. Possibly get infected.... Plus all that dang poison ivy all around. Even though I don't wear "snake boots", I would *never* go in brush like that on my place with sandals or sneakers. At least leather boots give you a fighting chance. For those who do.... more power to ya. :)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'm in the gulf coast area and had my own "depends'moment this morning.Went saltwater fishing from the shore early,old wrecked dock that holds sheepshead if you can get them in from the pilings.
Was there about 10 minutes,just made a cast.Looked down and a gator popped up about 2 feet away from my 2 feet.Not huge,but a atleast 5 footer,kinda skinny.Gators are common in Fl.,but usually you spot them from a distance swimming or sunning,and not often in saltwater..Just quietly popped up from an overhanging mangrove tree next to me.
Took a few minutes to get my heart rate down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts