Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
OBAMA Sucks Smokin Weed
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this surfing wal-mart.com... Kinda thought it was interesting they offer such a thing..

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5706764

$68
Features:
Accommodates a drinking water pouch with tube
Sleeve system for storage of food and water
Cell phone/walkie talkie carrying case
Water reservoir pocket
Multifunction tool sleeve
Cushioned shoulder straps
Lightweight ergonomic design for children and adults
Back ventilation system for cool air flow
See-through pockets for quick access to items
Ring hooks for added attachments
Two side pockets for storage of a 6n1 personal safety device and bottle
Durable construction for long life

Backpack includes:
Thermal blanket
All weather poncho
Hygiene kit
First aid kit
Multifunction tool
Leather work gloves
Respirator mask
Compass
Signaling whistle
Thermometer
Red emergency flasher
Waterproof document/cash bag
Signaling mirror
Writing pad & pen
6-page disaster preparedness action guide

Emergency food rations:
Made in USA
Meets US Coast Guard standards (160.046/23/0)
Meets Department of Defense regulations (SOLAS 74/83)
5-year shelf life
Non-thirst provoking
Withstand temperatures of -40 to 300 degrees F
Ready to eat: each package contains 9 pre-measured 400 calorie meals
Individual portions eliminate messy breakup
Contains no cholesterol or tropical oils
Enriched with vitamins and minerals, exceeding RDA requirements
Product is kosher and meets the dictates for halal and vegan diets

Emergency water packets:
Made in USA
US Coast Guard approved
No oxygen transfer (no chance of bacterial contamination)
Pre-measured packets make water easy to dispense
Easy to transport; no cups needed
Withstand temperatures from -40 to 210 degrees F
5-year shelf life

·
OBAMA Sucks Smokin Weed
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They also have a great deal on these

$10

Coghlan's Survival Kit in a Can:

* 38 essential items
* Compass
* Fire starter
* 9.8' multi-use cord
* 3' wire
* Four waterproof matches
* 101' fish line
* Soup packet
* Tea bag
* Sugar packet
* Match book
* Two antiseptic swabs
* Razor blade
* Three twist ties
* 12" duct tape
* Signal mirror
* Zip-lock bag
* Two bandages
* Two nails
* Two safety pins
* Two fish hooks
* Signal whistle
* Chewing gum
* Sewing needle
* Energy candy
* Note paper
* Pencil
* Survival/first aid pamphlet

$10
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8586949

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Not too shabby. I have been trying more and more to buy non Chinese stuff lately and it is really hard-even when buying hunting and camping gear. I have found that coleman dual fuel lanterns and stoves are still made here. Most everything else is made over there.

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
Great looking stuff, guess I need to find another Wally World as ours does not carry that stuff.

Bear in mind that albeit well packaged its not really to be carried on your back. It pack itself just cannot take the punishment that is dished out on long treks. Sling it in your Jeep or distrubte in a ruck sack and you will be in fine shape.

I go for a lot of mil-spec gear and before somebody jumps in and tells me they can get a better ________ than mil-spec. I will not disagree, which does not mean I agree. However bang for buck you will NOT beat mil-spec gear.

One of the neat things about war is that as a general rule the soldier is allowed a LOT of latitude as to what gear they carry and use. I have seen many guys obtain various 'improved civvy' gear only to revert back to mil-spec later on. Why? Durability!

The other day I came across my old rucksack w/frame that I used to train in. I used it to haul 40 lbs of wet sand and I would double time 5 miles with it. That is all that ruck ever did and it was new when I started out. Today its faded so bad it looks white almost. I know that I have replaced the shoulder straps a time or two. I wouldn't let my wife throw it away as it brought back too many memories. I cannot imagine getting under that ruck today and going 5 feet.

Truthfully it wasn't all that hard and there was a trick to it. You take off walking then begin to step it out and then transition to a double time and LEAN forward to the point that you are almost beginning to fall. Then start bringing those feet out in front of you to keep from falling. I have done a good 7 or 8 miles like that and you will burn some calories and I do not care how cold it is, shorts and a t shirt is all you need.

The good ole days I guess.:rolleyes:

·
OBAMA Sucks Smokin Weed
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would suggest purchase online and ship to the store for pickup. That seems to work well and you don't have to pay shipping.

:thumb:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Put these two together and when you Bug you have a day kit for day treks away from your camp. I still like Alice paks but.........

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
the waltons are billionaire preppers. they have a huge underground fortress in the midwest somewhere. if you can think it, this place has it. they are however, dispicable human beings, their fort should be taken from them immediatley after TSHTF. the armed guards and all the other security measures might make that a bit difficult though, but still, anything is do-able.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
for the money....

what I do is take note of all the goodies they have in these ready made kits, then go home and put my own together. Often it's cheaper, I already HAVE the kit, and what I have or later purchase is of much better quality. $68 bucks is pretty cheap, but if you can find a good sale, a professional photography bag makes a great BOB...it has many smaller compartments (for lenses and such), but they can be adjusted to size. Also, when you put together your own stuff, you know what it is, where it is, and that it works.:thumb:
I HAVE noticed that Wal-Mart actually has some interesting things though...and on my last trip I decided I would actually try a week in the mountains with nothing but WallyWorld kit...they have a really lightweight backpack, sleeping pads, tents etc...and the one thing I kept a secret were their 3 pk of drybags; they sell for around $9.00 a pack, but are the same as what REI sells for $14 a piece...just looked online and all they have are Coleman drybags, but if you go to the store, look in camping for agreen folded end plastic container. I believe they are made by Outdoor Research, and so is the lightweight backpack (in the luggage section). I have bought three 3 packs, so I have three sets of varying sized bags and when I go on trips I actually have to leave most at home...so now you guys know the secret. Use them to micro-manage your gear in your rucksack and keep everything dry at the same time.

·
Prophet
1,261 Posts
I just don't know if i could trust anything sold at walmart for a BOB.
I bought a small daypack there once, and i think i got a summer out of it; and im pretty good with my gear. By August of that year, the bag was fallin apart at the seams.
there are a lot of othe good manufacturers out there. If you want to buy cheap, just remember, you get what you pay for. My current backpack was made by a company called 'Quest'. I bought it over 10 years ago, and it is still in worn, but great condition. I payed $80 for it.
As for Coghlan's stuff, well lets just say, i don't have anything polite to say about their 'toys'.
IMHO a guy would be better off making a list of supplies and buying the stuff seperately. When u get it all home, toss all of your BOB stuff into a plastic bag, figure out the volume of bag you need, and go shopping for a decent bag.
Theres nothin worse than being in the wilderness with a ripped bag. trust me, I KNOW.

peace
al

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
I just don't know if i could trust anything sold at walmart for a BOB.
I bought a small daypack there once, and i think i got a summer out of it; and im pretty good with my gear. By August of that year, the bag was fallin apart at the seams.
there are a lot of othe good manufacturers out there. If you want to buy cheap, just remember, you get what you pay for. My current backpack was made by a company called 'Quest'. I bought it over 10 years ago, and it is still in worn, but great condition. I payed $80 for it.
As for Coghlan's stuff, well lets just say, i don't have anything polite to say about their 'toys'.
IMHO a guy would be better off making a list of supplies and buying the stuff seperately. When u get it all home, toss all of your BOB stuff into a plastic bag, figure out the volume of bag you need, and go shopping for a decent bag.
Theres nothin worse than being in the wilderness with a ripped bag. trust me, I KNOW.

peace
al
While I have a tendency to agree if you will look at the contents of the bag you will see that its a survival bag only. I do not know the quality of the bag itself, but if this is all you plan on taking with you then it might not be a fun stay.

I see the Wal Mart bag as just an adjunct to the rest of the gear I need to take. That said it should fit nicely in Jeep or in my large rucksack along with other items I will need. The WM bag is full and it appears well stocked and well organized for what it is.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice kit for the "Joe Homeowner" type who has no clue.

But, IMHO, I would much rather roll my own and know what I have in it, and know how it all performs in actual use. Might even save a little bit of money too.

Murph

·
Banned
317 Posts
In my "run like hell Ponce" pack I have two 55 gallons bags that can be used to sleep in.

I spray them with different colors for camuflage and waited for two weeks to see if it would damage the plastic, it did not......... thick food saver with a plastic zipper that you can blow air into it and sealed it will do for a pillow.

Regular plastic trash bags with three hole will do for raincoat.

Is not what you have but what you do with what you have.........

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
I got one of those on clearance from Sam's for $20.
It was the version that had 2 complete food, water and supplies packs inside. I spilt it into two get home bags and added extra supplies and gear to each. It was an outstanding value for $20 but, for $68 I would build my own.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I tend to agree with Kronos on this one. You are much better building your own kit. It is nice to have someone do the work for you. Build your own and you know what quality you have put into the bag and contents. It is not that hard to do. It is also part of getting yourself together. you have to know that the stuff in that bag will get my kids, my wife, my loved ones through the first 72 hours.

As far as the Waltons having a big underground retreat, you should know that there are only a few left. I believe Alice just died recently. In that neck of the woods and I do know it since I have land there, many people call the homes of the wealthy "FORT" TYson of Walton or Hunt. Don Tyson of the chicken fame does not even live in the US anymore. He lives in London for the most part. His son runs the Empire from "FORT TYSON" across from the main offices in Springdale Arkansas.

The very rich figure they will just bug out to who knows where and sit it out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts