Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Always Loaded
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After church today, my family stopped by the local Wal-Mart on the way home. As usual, I scanned the ammo shelves for anything worthwhile. Low and behold they actually had .223, along with several other in-demand calibers. I purchased 3 boxes as per the limit and went in search of my wife.

We returned a few minutes later, and a different associate was working the counter. I explained that I had already purchased my limit, but my wife would also like 3 boxes. I noticed out of the corner of my eye, the previous employee (an older woman, go figure) peeking around the corner. As the ammo was placed on the counter, she pops out and says "You can't buy those". I calmly replied that they were for my wife. "But you can't pay for those". "Ok, then I will give the money to her" I said, a tad sarcastically. "NO! You can't buy those, it is 3 boxes per customer!" This continued on for several minutes while I explained that my wife was a shooter as well and she was in fact a different person. The woman remained defiant until I requested the general manager (by name), then she "allowed" my to pay for the ammo, even though it was against their policy. She then stormed off muttering to herself.

I have been buying guns and ammo from this location for years and have never encountered this kind of BS. Anyone else had any similar experiences?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I've never had an issue when my wife and I are together and both buy 3 boxes. the clerk tells us we have to use a different method to pay for each purchase. I've gotten dirty looks from people waiting to buy ammo who I guess didn't like the idea of us buying 6 boxes for our family.

·
Super Moderator
14,596 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Explain what you mean by this please. Was her job to keep someone from buying ammo then?
From the OP's description, the first clerk sounds a bit afraid of 'bending' the store's policy of three boxes per customer. I've bought fifteen boxes of Tula 7.62 x 39 from a Wal-Mart in Pensacola, FL one afternoon, three boxes at a time in five trips to the sporting goods register, from the same clerk.

Improvise and overcome obstacles, it's something you deal with in today's world, so don't let spoil your day. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,596 Posts
From the OP's description, the first clerk sounds a bit afraid of 'bending' the store's policy of three boxes per customer. I've bought fifteen boxes of Tula 7.62 x 39 from a Wal-Mart in Pensacola, FL one afternoon, three boxes at a time in five trips to the sporting goods register, from the same clerk.

Improvise and overcome obstacles, it's something you deal with in today's world, so don't let spoil your day. :)
How would they be bending the rules when it wasnt for him? It was for his wife.

·
Survived Panic Buy Dec'12
535 Posts
I've bought a box of federal .223 one time. Limit was 3. But, the lady hooked me up (They come 4 to a box). So, in turn I donated a dollar to wtf ever the "organization" was she solicited me for. There was 1 more box in the back. I'm sure if Mr. Lincoln was presented I could of picked that one up too. Money talks.

·
The Celtic Prepper
926 Posts
Explain what you mean by this please. Was her job to keep someone from buying ammo then?
Store policy is 3 boxes per customer per day, right? - Someone needs to enforce that.

I would imagine most of you have rules at your job that you must follow. - Of course the 3 box limit sucks, and I don't agree with it, but the store has determined that it's the best course of action for their business and customers alike.

During the panic we also had posts about people snatching cases off pallets when there was this same limit. Many of you cried about that too, claiming people like that is why you couldn't get any ammunition.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
don't worry be happy.

wally world doesn't pay too well, and doesn't get first round draft picks. ammo is starting to catch up with demand. :) don't worry be happy.

PS. be glad zulus weren't over running your position and somebody's making you sign and fill out and paperwork for ammo.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Store policy is 3 boxes per customer per day, right? - Someone needs to enforce that.

I would imagine most of you have rules at your job that you must follow. - Of course the 3 box limit sucks, and I don't agree with it, but the store has determined that it's the best course of action for their business and customers alike.

During the panic we also had posts about people snatching cases off pallets when there was this same limit. Many of you cried about that too, claiming people like that is why you couldn't get any ammunition.
Why is this so hard to understand? Husband with $= customer #1, wife with $= customer #2. S. I. M. P. L. E

·
Bad Samaritan
524 Posts
She saw the money in your hand and knew you were working around the 3 box rule. (Don't blame you I would have done the same thing.) Some people are sticklers about others following the rules. She probably saw what you were doing as "trying to get by the rules" and was just as offended as you. Good for you scoring your ammo though. The walmart I was at Sat got ammo in while I was there. I didn't wait around while they unloaded it, have enough where it's no big deal.

·
Always Loaded
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why is this so hard to understand? Husband with $= customer #1, wife with $= customer #2. S. I. M. P. L. E
Exactly. I honestly felt like I was talking to a liberal. The facts were right there, but it just wouldn't sink in. It took me off guard because as I said, I've been buying from them for years. I know half the sporting goods associates by name. I've purchased ammo with my wife like this many times, with many employees. Never a issue. This lady has no excuse, she has been working there for years and may even be the department manager. I think she was just being a prick. I have half a mind to report her to the general manager. I'm not a ammo hoarder, but I am well set on all calibers. I just plan to keep it that way.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I get lots of people like you just explained plus I get ones that will sell you everything in the cabinet. Just depends, but when I get attitude I ask for a manager and explain the rude employee to them. Funny, I know managers by their first name at 10+ walmarts in my area. I had one employee threaten to call the cops for a straw sale once. That was funny. Pretty sure he got fired after I spoke to manager.

I will also snatch cases off pallets, etc. if you don't like it I don't care. As I like ammo, lots and lots of ammo. If you snatch all the ammo, I don't care, you beat me to it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ah the joys of buying ammo from walmart. Once I went to my local walmart and asked the long hair hippie kid that was working behind the counter for 7.62x39mm. I stood there laughing on the inside as he searched for it in the pistol ammo, he got a confused look on his face when he got to 9mm and then moved to the rifle ammo. After seeing 8mm rifle ammo he then turns to me and says " Dude 7.62 comes before 8mm and 9mm ammo right?" I shook my head and said its over there in the far right corner of the case. It took about 5 minutes total, very comical. My other experience is not having anybody in the sporting department and asking another employee to help me with the ammo and them telling me they would get a manager to assist me and then totally disappearing.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts