Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to get a new laptop...Dell has one on sale for $749 with the following specs:
17" screen
750GB harddrive
8GB Ram
Core i5 processor

But a buddy of mine suggested I wait till the holidays...and get a better deal around Thanksgiving.

Think their will be better holiday deals?

Thanks.

·
Observer
707 Posts
I already think that's a great deal as is. You could wait, but there is no guarantee, and I doubt it would come down any lower at that price. I paid £500 ($825) for a 15", 500GB HD 4GB RAM and AMD processor (3 core) only a few months ago. Would highly recommend you purchase at that price! Too good to miss out by waiting too long...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Until the last couple of years, Black Friday sales used to be a lot better so it's hard to say what this year will be like. The last couple of Black Fridays people at slickdeals were saying that they got better deals throughout the year. I would suggest going to slickdeals.net Hot Deals forum and keeping an eye out.

If you decide to get this laptop now, according to slickdeals, Dell has a promotion where you buy a $500 gift card and get a $75 e-gift card. You could save an additional $75 if you go that route. http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3211282

·
cleaning crew
3,113 Posts
i like the apple macbook pro. the build is nice and very good quality which stands way above other manufacturers. but i do run windows 7 on it on for work applications.

There are a lot of surplus laptops and tablets around at the moment as the sheeple are all buying Apple products. Expect large discounts in the next few months on laptops... more below:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/08/16/pc_price_cuts_hit_revenues/

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/08/15/tablet_sales_stagnating/

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,913 Posts
Do you really need a 17" screen on a laptop? if it designed to be used a desktop, buy a desktop system, more speed, power, performance and larger screen to boot for the same money...

What are you using it for?

Bear in mind that laptops have a higher failure rate than desktops, and are virtually impossible to upgrade, etc....

I'm an IT guy, deal with this all day for SMB clients and would be happy to help you buy what you actually need, vs want at your budget.....

here's a link to dell home users for desktop systems wiht monitors for between 500-800 bucks....good luck....

http://www.dell.com/us/p/desktops?~ck=mn#!facets=51805~0~812582&p=1

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
You should check www.slickdeals.net daily. A few weeks ago, I got a beautiful 15.6 ASUS laptop from Newegg.com for only $299.99, shipped free and no tax. The laptop warranty included 1 year of accidental damage as well which is a $100-150 option with most laptop warranties. It only had 4GB of RAM, but I bought a 4GB RAM from another slickdeal thread for $19.99. It was easy to upgrade the RAM. So for $319.98, I got a real gorgeous laptop. I'm not a gamer; I use the computer for surfing, blogging, homework, watching videos, ect. I love it! This is my first laptop; I only had a tiny netbook and an old desktop. I can't believe I got such a gorgeous and fast computer for so little money. I love the portability of a laptop; I haven't even touched my desktop lately.

Slick deals has great deals like that all the time in their forums. When you scan the hot deals forum, look for threads that have a 5 Thumbs up rating. Then you will know the deal is truly hot!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never had a laptop...just have an older Dell desk top at home. My thought was that a laptop would be handy when I travel...and when I take trips with my kids.

I saw some of the good buys on slickdeals...guess I will watch that for a bit.

Thanks for the help!

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,913 Posts

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
depending on what you need a laptop for IMHO netbooks offer the best bang for the buck when it comes to battery life and 90% of what we do today. it isnt a gaming rig and its not meant to be. my 12"dell mini gives me 12 hours of battery life. had it since released and about to buy a new lappy. instead of buying a notebook i am buying another netbook. i have my desktop's at home and at work.

·
I hate everyone equally !
1,291 Posts
Electronics are expensive in UK and USA ( Thats one thing i can get cheaper here )

Though its not odd at all when we have many new corperations that are trying to get established in the market ( Once they are established the price will hit the roof here to )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts