Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know checking in the late summer is a good way to tell if water is available all year, but what about checking in the winter? I located some puddles with about 10 or more Western Chain Ferns aound them. I would like to be able to determin if they are a year round water source. What are some sound ways to find out? Im located in Northern Ca by the way.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
I know checking in the late summer is a good way to tell if water is available all year, but what about checking in the winter? I located some puddles with about 10 or more Western Chain Ferns aound them. I would like to be able to determin if they are a year round water source. What are some sound ways to find out? Im located in Northern Ca by the way.

Do a search for rainfall totals by location and look at the driest month of the year and check during that month to see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the surest bet for sure but is there a way to tell besides weighting till the ed of summer next year?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Check the plants growing nearby. Some plants, like reeds, buttercups [winter aconite], and others, are good indicators of a year-round source.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts