• Tops Fieldcraft, BOB.

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • Helle Tiaga

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Helle Temagami

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Other

Votes: 36 37.5%
  • Don't buy a knife, you probably have too many already.

Votes: 19 19.8%
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Life, Liberty,& Happiness
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here the thing, I am looking to spend a few bucks here on a high end Bushcraft specific knife. Not a tactical knife, or a hunting knife. The knives I have selected are the ones I am seriously interested in, I will however leave an other option just in case there is something I have overlooked.

If you vote other, these are the specifics I am looking for

Scandi Grind, if it doesn't have one I am not interested.

Length, 3.5"-6".

Steel, O1, D2, 1095, s30v, laminate stainless or carbon, Sandvick, vg3, vg10, or other high quality steel. No 420 HC, no 440 A, B, C, no Aus8, and no 1-9crmov14 steels.

Price, nothing more than $200.

Sheath, heavy leather, or kydex. None of the ballistic nylon crap, or wood.

Weight, not an issue.

Over All Length, not an issue.

NO MORA RECOMMENDATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED IT THE FIRST TIME, NO MORA RECOMMENDATIONS.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will be getting this knife sometime after X-mas, currently I am leaning towards the Tops, but really like the Spyderco. Your vote actually counts here, unlike the presidential election voting process. Remember you guys are the survival pros here so get to voting.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I voted for the Helle Temagami, but I also think something ESEE might be nice as well since they have a hell of a warranty. That's what mainly magnetizes me to them is their warranty, if it wasn't for that, I'd choose something from Ka-bar or Ontario since your in the 1095 range eventhough Ka-bar uses cro-van which can take a hell of an edge for cutting deer tissue.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Condor sapiens 1075 hc heavey leather sheath 4" blade 1/8 thick. It's what I use, my son uses the Condor survival craft. No were near the kind of money you want to spend but we beat hell out of them camping icefishing fire prep ... Just mho

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Condor sapiens 1075 hc heavey leather sheath 4" blade 1/8 thick. It's what I use, my son uses the Condor survival craft. No were near the kind of money you want to spend but we beat hell out of them camping icefishing fire prep ... Just mho
I was browsing Condor earlier, and have a few times in the past, I will probably get one someday, but this purchase is going to be my snob knife. Condor and Mora doesn't really fit into the snob category.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honestly I am surprised that the Spyderco only has one vote, I could have sworn there were some Spyderco junkies on this forum.

Im really jazzed about the Tops being on Top so far, the Bow drill piston hole in the handle is a neat little add in to the design, wish they would have used something more exotic than 1095 though, if it had been O1, D2, or laminate then there wouldn't be a poll right now.

Again I am putting my trust into the popular vote, or an eye catching suggestion such as the previously mentioned Blind Horse Knives, they have some potential to soon be in my knife collection.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I really like woodsknife hiram mirema makes ll the knives and they are a reasonably priced blade and very high quality the sheaths are leather with a kidex insert

he has a real nice bushcraft combo with a leuku and puukko for around 120 ish

or you can get a large leuku for around 100 or 60 for the puukko

hiram miremas knife are my personal preferences in knives

you can get his knives between 2.5- 7 in blades

·
Registered
74 Posts
Damn those 2 blades are nice, I may think about investing in one of those old fashion puukko or leuku myself. I really like the traditional scandi-grind bush knives.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really like woodsknife hiram mirema makes ll the knives and they are a reasonably priced blade and very high quality the sheaths are leather with a kidex insert

he has a real nice bushcraft combo with a leuku and puukko for around 120 ish

or you can get a large leuku for around 100 or 60 for the puukko

hiram miremas knife are my personal preferences in knives

you can get his knives between 2.5- 7 in blades
I have almost pulled the trigger on that knife so many times that its not funny. That knife will be in my collection sometime soon. The only thing that has held me back is the sheath, not big on pouch style sheaths when wearing the knife regularly, I prefer everything to hang lower or at the same height as the belt. When I get a Woodsknife it will be tucked into my hunting bag waiting for my next kill.

Honestly, I desire kydex sheaths for any knife, and more companies need to have the sheaths set up scout style as that is my favorite way to carry a blade.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I have almost pulled the trigger on that knife so many times that its not funny. That knife will be in my collection sometime soon. The only thing that has held me back is the sheath, not big on pouch style sheaths when wearing the knife regularly, I prefer everything to hang lower or at the same height as the belt. When I get a Woodsknife it will be tucked into my hunting bag waiting for my next kill.

Honestly, I desire kydex sheaths for any knife, and more companies need to have the sheaths set up scout style as that is my favorite way to carry a blade.
my knife is snugly fitting on my belt you just have to know how to affix it

the sheath is made like a glove and fits the knife it wont fall out

the leather thong you see basicly you take it and put it on the front of the sheath and it makes two loops behind and you put your belt through it and it is snug to your belt people who let it just dangle dont know what there doing

ill post a pic on my belt to give you an idea

·
Registered
146 Posts
I voted for the TOPS, I've got one on the way. From what I can see, it is everything that a field knife should be. I'd obviously carry a smaller knife specifically for dressing game, but it looks like the "total package" to me.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my knife is snugly fitting on my belt you just have to know how to affix it

the sheath is made like a glove and fits the knife it wont fall out

the leather thong you see basicly you take it and put it on the front of the sheath and it makes two loops behind and you put your belt through it and it is snug to your belt people who let it just dangle dont know what there doing

ill post a pic on my belt to give you an idea
My problem with pouch sheath is the pommel on most stick up above my belt and jab me in the side, mostly when getting in a car or sitting down. I edc a fixed blade ALWAYS, currently my edc fixed is a KaBar mark 1 and it never jabs me. If I could get a horizontal sheath I am even happier as it will be 100% out of the way and concealed too.

Oh and I wear knives on my left side, the pistol goes on my right hip.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts