Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
is that illuminated- and if so will it function without power?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the batteries go dead the kids, wife and I will either stop shooting or just switch over to another gun for the rest of the evening. I'll grab a set next time I'm at China-Mart, or carry an extra set so it doesn't interfere with the fun. The specs for new batteries are Max brightness is 120 hours, and Min is 3400. Night vision is 4200, 4600. We're not going to shoot more than an hour tops with the AR...more like 20 minutes maybe 100 rounds.

However.com if I were wanting it for tactical uses, I will be able to co-witness it either 1/3 or fully. But I'm not a LEO and this isn't a serious HD weapon. If this gun turns out to be reliable I may consider keeping it out of the safe and nearby the bed. Time will tell...

The whole purpose in my AR is to make it basically a centerfire family gun. It's only the 5th centerfire rifle I own, still have over twice as many shotguns...LOL Something besides my bolt 22's and 10/22 that the wife and kids enjoy shooting already. One we can all enjoy, I think the red dot would be best for the kids, all I have to explain is "Put the red dot on the target"

That being said, I also don't want to buy an el-cheapo piece of junk, but at the same time I don't want to spring for a optic that's the price of another nice sidearm, or another AR upper (6.8) for hunting (that's really what the AR acquisition was/is really about.)

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I have the Vortex Strikefire and really like it. It cost less than the SPARC but it it has multi reticle and red / green dot with day night brightness. It also comes with a 2x magnifier and high or low mount rings. The one downside is the the dot is a 4 moa but you can set it on night brightness and it decreases the dot size to about 2.5 moa.

I don't know much about the SPARC other than what I just read. It looks like a nice red dot and it may give you faster sighting than the Strikefire. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have and run the Sparc on my AR and AK. I like it and it has performed as advertised. However, using it on an AK has shown me that battery life can be diminished with the heat factor. I still prefer iron sights. It's the battery thing that turns me off of these red dot sights. They are fast for target aquisition though! I decided to go with a fixed 4X scope for the AR with flip sights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.