Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, my brothers house was flooded with 4 - 5 feet of water during hurricane Ike.

Well, he has to have the mud and marsh reeds out by monday so the insurance guy can see the floor.

If anyone has the spare time on friday or saturday, send me a PM and I will give you directions. You will need rubber boots, a shovel, gloves, food, water and some clothes you do not mind getting stained. A couple of 5 gallon buckets would be nice to bring as well. I will be there Friday, but not saturday.

If your interested in doing something that will totally ruin your day, let me know.

The location is Bridge City, Texas.

:thumb:

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
isnt the clean up part of the insurance? you might want to look at your policy sometimes it's part of it.. i would help but live far away..

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It is, but he has to be able to walk to see the inside. It's just common courtesy to clear a path.

I wished I could help Kev, but I'm 1100 miles away. I'll get some funds together to help out. Give me a few days. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Wish I could but I am dealing with a L5 disk that is compressed right now. I would be good to get away. Hope your brother and more that his family is okay.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
If I were anywhere near by I would in a heartbeat. (((Good luck))) Hope you get some bodies out there and the work goes fast for ya!

As some of you may know, my brothers house was flooded with 4 - 5 feet of water during hurricane Ike.

Well, he has to have the mud and marsh reeds out by monday so the insurance guy can see the floor.

If anyone has the spare time on friday or saturday, send me a PM and I will give you directions. You will need rubber boots, a shovel, gloves, food, water and some clothes you do not mind getting stained. A couple of 5 gallon buckets would be nice to bring as well. I will be there Friday, but not saturday.

If your interested in doing something that will totally ruin your day, let me know.

The location is Bridge City, Texas.

:thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I remember in 99ish, in Sal t Lake City, they had mudslides and houses
were inundated with mud. People showed up to help shovel it out.
Folks on the way home from work, contractors with equipment, kids, families.
It was beautiful to see a community come together to help out someone in need.
It was on a small scale, I am sure everyone has there hands full right now, down
in Texas.
Good Luck,
J

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
isnt the clean up part of the insurance? you might want to look at your policy sometimes it's part of it.. i would help but live far away..
Lets think about this just for a minute.

Where are the people supposed to come from to clean up your house? Do you realize that over 10,000 people are homeless down here?

Bridge City has a population of between 8,000 - 9,000 people, very house, except 15 were flooded. Parts of west orange and orangefield are were also flooded. Streets are lined with the entire contents of houses - walls, insulation, ceilings, furniture, clothes, carpet, just about every personal belonging these people have is not on the curve for garbage pick up.

Who are the people that are supposed to clean up this mess and where are they supposed to come from? Can you imagine the workforce needed to rebuild an entire community?

You can hire people to help clean up your house, and the insurance will remburse you - most of the time. So you hire your friends and family members. Because those are the only people that can help you. And most of the time its only your family. Because your friends are in the same situation as you.

These pictures were taken today. This is what the streets of bridge city look like.

I have some video, but it will be posted after I get it edited and uploaded.

·
To the Liberty Tree!
1,312 Posts
Lets think about this just for a minute.

Where are the people supposed to come from to clean up your house? Do you realize that over 10,000 people are homeless down here?

Bridge City has a population of between 8,000 - 9,000 people, very house, except 15 were flooded. Parts of west orange and orangefield are were also flooded. Streets are lined with the entire contents of houses - walls, insulation, ceilings, furniture, clothes, carpet, just about every personal belonging these people have is not on the curve for garbage pick up.

Who are the people that are supposed to clean up this mess and where are they supposed to come from? Can you imagine the workforce needed to rebuild an entire community?

You can hire people to help clean up your house, and the insurance will remburse you - most of the time. So you hire your friends and family members. Because those are the only people that can help you. And most of the time its only your family. Because your friends are in the same situation as you.

These pictures were taken today. This is what the streets of bridge city look like.

I have some video, but it will be posted after I get it edited and uploaded.
Wow, I have never seen anything like that. Very sad. :( Sorry, I wish I could help as I don't have too much going on this weekend other than a trip to the gun shop, but Texas is a bit of a hike from Mass.

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was not kidding when I said shoveling mud either

The local marsh has invaded my brothers house and yard.

Including wildlife - this snake was found in the mud, which it blended perfectly into. Only when it moved against the base board did I see it. The shovel was used to cut its head off. Thankfully, it was only about 1 foot long, instead of full grown 3 - 4 feet.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Man Im sorry you guys are going through that Kev, I have lost everything twice in floods and know how bad it hurts to lose it all and restart.

I was actually in Galveston area the day after the hurricane doing volunteer medical work and met alot of folks that lost everything and saw the destruction with my own eyes.

I worked during Katrina and during the bad tornadoes in Greensburg Kansas also and it always hurts to see the destruction for myself.

I encourage anyone who is able to go assist these folks to do so and remember that not everybody has insurance on they're homes and some people really need the help right now. If I could go back I would but my work only let me go for 5 days and I used up my vacation days for the year to do it.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
We are not seeing this on the news. Only story is power is still out. We'll keep those folks in our prayers today.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
yeah, most of the people at my post still have no power.

They have to trek through 5 mile long traffic jams to find food and gas at stores that are open because the PODs were stopped. These guys wear buisness suits too- so they have to find a cleaners thats open as well. Since its a jewelry store- and people arent in that much of a buying mood, the corporate office is berating them for not being able to SELL SELL SELL like any other time.

Kev, Bridge City looks like the aftermath of a California mud slide. Thats gonna need a LOT more than strong backs to fix, its gonna need a backhoe or 2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Ex works for Waste Management as a commercial driver and they sent him down last weekend along w/ most of his department (from up here in Michigan) however, you hear about the devastation down there but it's totally different when you see first hand pictures from someone who's living it, and not what the media is posting.

I know he's stated that it's one of the worst things he's ever seen and they are having them work round the clock for the most part, he stated that it seems no matter how much they're out there picking up and collecting it appears as though it multiplies by the time they're at their next go around. He was supposed to be down there a month but were informed that it could be a whole lot longer before they get to go home.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'd be there is a heartbeat to give a hand I love heavy hard stupid work :D: unfortunately I'm in Canada. That's a bit more then a day trip for me. Good luck down there it sounds like you need it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts