Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
2nd Amendment zealot
747 Posts
I have just recovered from this nightmare. The whole family had it, brought in by my high school son courtesy of the football team. Took me about 14 days to have all symptoms disappear and I was cleared to go back to work just today. If you have this on your bucket list take it off. Most miserable time of my life. Thankfully we have all recovered and doing well now.

·
Dog Lives Matter
6,155 Posts
Vitamin D, interesting. More evidence that going outside is good for you.
A couple of months ago, my doctor told me to start taking vitamin D.

He said everyone should be taking 2000ui to 6000ui every day. Check your other supplements. They may already contain vitamin D. You can overdose on vitamin D. I only take a couple of supplements, but they already contain 4000ui of vitamin D.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I have just recovered from this nightmare. The whole family had it, brought in by my high school son courtesy of the football team. Took me about 14 days to have all symptoms disappear and I was cleared to go back to work just today. If you have this on your bucket list take it off. Most miserable time of my life. Thankfully we have all recovered and doing well now.
Good to hear you all are doing well. I don't think anybody wants to get sick, but this is one that pretty much everyone who is susceptible will get at some point.

A couple of months ago, my doctor told me to start taking vitamin D.

He said everyone should be taking 2000ui to 6000ui every day. Check your other supplements. They may already contain vitamin D. You can overdose on vitamin D. I only take a couple of supplements, but they already contain 4000ui of vitamin D.
Rookie. Doc put me on 10,000 iu per day due to a separate issue. Yes, you can OD on vitamin D, but it's at levels higher than 50k iu per day. That's a lot of vitamin D.

·
Purposeful Prepper
1,570 Posts
Several years ago I read an article about which vitamins and supplements doctors over the age of 50 take themselves. Turns out they take a lot of things but the most common was 1000 IU's of Vitamin D a day.

Vitamin D reduces the overall incidence of disease (the broad spectrum of disease) significantly. It's good in helping you prevent a lot of different problems.

I take Vitamin D everyday. So far, it has worked for me.

·
Purposeful Prepper
1,570 Posts
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...of-covid-study-suggests/ar-BB18IeBW?ocid=AMZN

Though i wonder if people with low vit d don't get out in the outdoors and sun enough. Still low vit d is common and supplements are readily available.
That's what the article I read alluded to. People don't get as much sun as they used to.

Silly but true, when I sit in the sun to soak up that Vitamin D I sit in the nude. Might as well get sun on as much of your skin as you can. I have never been a nudist as such but I have to admit it feels great. I just need to find a nice girl to soak up some sun with.

·
reluctant sinner
16,698 Posts
Most Doc's don't actually believe in supplements. I take several including 2 forms of D3. I'm working on my next order for a years supply of stuff at VitaCost, about $300

12% off and free USA shipping use promo code KABQZGWJH good until 10/31 one time use first come first served.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
That's what the article I read alluded to. People don't get as much sun as they used to.

Silly but true, when I sit in the sun to soak up that Vitamin D I sit in the nude. Might as well get sun on as much of your skin as you can. I have never been a nudist as such but I have to admit it feels great. I just need to find a nice girl to soak up some sun with.
Don’t overdo it. Had a chunk of melanoma carved out of my nose at 48 years. Never thought twice. I have a crater the size of a dime. My dad in his 80’s is going in twice a year for carvings. Dose up on 50 spf at least.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...IeBW?ocid=AMZN

Though i wonder if people with low vit d don't get out in the outdoors and sun enough. Still low vit d is common and supplements are readily available.

That too but i was thinking not just sunlight but get moving as obesity seems a major factor.
I quit taking supplements some time ago and was trying more for a better diet. But i figure can't hurt either so got some d3, multi, and calcium/ magnesium. The cal mag acts together. Also i want some c.
Genetics has something to do with skin cancer. My sister's husband is a blue eyed blond and he has had to watch for skin cancers for decades. Funnily some kids started out blue eyed but after babyhood there eyes turned dark.

·
Super Moderator
66,002 Posts
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...of-covid-study-suggests/ar-BB18IeBW?ocid=AMZN

When my parents were growing up (depression era), the schools administered vitamin D because of the huge number of kids suffering rickets (vitamin D deficiency). This was in the sunny south, when kids were outdoors constantly from sun up to sun down, other than school hours. If they didn't get enough vitamin D from the sun, then we sure won't. Especially with all the sun screen, hats, etc.

·
Its a Hoax Folks
2,988 Posts
After my doc recommended that I should take 5000iu D3 per day my health improved immensely... that was 5 years ago.

ha, come and get me CV19 you little virus turd.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I just checked, the treatment for rickets was 3-1 hour sessions a week under a sun lamp. Not sure why kids could not get that much exposure from the sun. Covered by clothes?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts