Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It's not a first-line preventative, but it's an important component. I typically supplement my diet with 2-3k IUs from late fall to early spring. I also take 600mg of n-acetylcysteine (NAC) as a supplement. When the symptoms of cold/flu occur, I up my NAC to 2.4g.

I also supplement with 15g of fiber a day. Does nothing for the flu. But it keeps me regular and seems to help with the cholesterol. ;)

·
Criminitly!
567 Posts
I started working it in this year and I have not gotten sick. I've never had pneumonia before and last spring ended up with a case after the flu. Dr. said start taking D. I did not know why, so I googled it. Seems it is also a good at lowering cholesterol.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
I also take Vitamin D from fall to spring (if you live Down Under, you would take it spring to fall), and Vitamin C daily. This year I had run out and didn't get started on time...late October/early November saw me get piggy flu. Coincidence perhaps...

Our winter days are often so short we go days without seeing the sun..Vit D is a must, I believe.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I started working it in this year and I have not gotten sick. I've never had pneumonia before and last spring ended up with a case after the flu. Dr. said start taking D. I did not know why, so I googled it. Seems it is also a good at lowering cholesterol.
I've looked into the vitamin d too,seems there's lots of recommendations as a preventative,I also take a high quality supplement of vitamins as well,didn't know it was good for cholesterol as well though,thanks for the info:thumb:

·
Registered
807 Posts
I do use vitamin D in winter, but not as a flu medicine. It helps in cancer prevention, bone health, and helps keep away the S.A.D.

·
Registered
8 Posts
vitamin d is a huge topic of research in the medical community right now. it's been linked to aiding in prevention of cancers, cardiovascular health, cholesterol lowering, immune function, and musculoskeletal health. the problem is no one is really sure yet how much is needed. they do agree however that the 400 IU dosing probably is too low. possibly a dose higher, like 1000 IU would be best, but some recommendations go all the way up to 4000 IU. There's a company physiologics that makes high quality supplements, and we stock it at my medicine shoppe. if you can find a store around you that has this brand they can order in vitamin d3 in sizes of 1000 IU, 2000 IU, and 5000 IU.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Low Vitamin D3 (measured via a blood test) is one of many causes of fatigue. My doctor ordered me to take 4000IU of Vit D3 for 30 days, then 2000IU thereafter, until my fatigue subsides. And yes, my test result was on the low end of the normal range.

·
Registered
201 Posts
There is some information on Vit D as a preventative for all sorts of bugs as well as a treatment to help out with lots of bugs. There is evidence that when the body is not exposed to the sun as much that bugs in our system start to take over (for a simple explanation) but as long as we keep that Vit D up then the bugs stay at bay. So far this has worked well for my family. The more sun exposure, the less we are sick. I've been doing this with our family for the past 5 years and each time I've been "locked away inside" for a time period I have gotten sick with something. But as long as I'm out and about most days of the week then I stay healthy all winter long (same with the kiddos but they rarely get sick as it is).

Of course I live in the south where we still get pretty good sun exposure in the winter months. That's why I haven't gone to supplements yet to see if they work as well. Now of course this has just been an experiment with my own family based upon some readings I did concerning various flu strains and tuberculosis. I have definitely enjoyed not having a major illness these past 5 years like I have had in years previous!

·
very very tired!
1,204 Posts
Keep it going Bulrush - I find my CFS isnt just as bad now since I started taking 1200iu a day. Told my doc but he just "Hmmm"ed LOL!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts