Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gun Luvin Hippie
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped by my local pool supply store in search of calcium hypochlorite Ca(CIO)2 for water purification. {If you're unaware of Ca(CIO)2 uses for purifying water than google it ASAP} While at the store I came across another useful product I wanted to share with you all. They sell hydrogen peroxide in 35% concentration as a chlorine alternative. 1 Gallon cost $18. If antiseptic hydrogen peroxide is 3% concentration; you could theoretically make 30 gallons of antiseptic hydrogen peroxide from 1 gallon of this product.

Something to think about.

Cheers

·
Registered
530 Posts
I dropped by my local pool supply store in search of calcium hypochlorite Ca(CIO)2 for water purification. {If you're unaware of Ca(CIO)2 uses for purifying water than google it ASAP}
Cheers
Calcium Hypoclorite is also known as pool shock. You might be interested in another use for it as when mixed with water it turns into Hypochlorous acid an acid that the human immune system uses to kill pathogens of all kinds throughout the body, and many other things that sometimes need to be destroyed. I've tried it after buying some regular pool shock that had 65% Calcium Hypoclorite and used it to see how it would work with a flu I sensed coming on.

The flu lasted three days instead of the regular seven to nine days it usually takes to get rid of a flu for me.

You can find more information using calcium hypoclorite on diseases as alternative therapy specifically here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
why not just use bleach ?

and what about granulated bleach for pools if you don't want to mess with liquid?

What is so special about pool shock? I always thought that shock treatment was concentrated bleach with some kind of water stabilizer

What do you mean by water treatment? Will shock be used to purify water or used for long term water storage treatment?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bleach breaks down much faster. I made a post about it on my blog awhile back. It was actually just a link to an article that I read about it. I got yelled at for posting links to my blog on here, so if you go there & look back to a post I made on 3/4/10, you'll find it.

·
Spooky
1,698 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide has a definite shelf life and changes from H2O2 to H2O (water LOL) over time. If the container has been opened, the process is greatly accelerated.

Pool shock will last forever as long as it's kept dry.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
why not just use bleach ?

and what about granulated bleach for pools if you don't want to mess with liquid?

What is so special about pool shock? I always thought that shock treatment was concentrated bleach with some kind of water stabilizer

What do you mean by water treatment? Will shock be used to purify water or used for long term water storage treatment?
Clorox or laundry bleach is sodium hypochlorite and has a limited shelf life with the concentration always getting weaker. The stronger the solution the quicker it breaks down.

What most here refer to pool shock is granulated calcium hypocholrite. It has a very long shelf life. It's also sold as ice melt during the winter months. Stabilizers isn't always added and certainly isn't needed for what we're talking about. Some products it is in like HTH or the tri chlor tablets. but some brands don't include stabilizers, always check first.

And yes we're talking about using this instead of bleach for disinfecting your emergency water. Make up a very small batch then add some of it to your filtered water. Having a test kit helps too, since it may take 4 hours to kill most everything (referred to as contact time). Your looking for at least a .5ppm residual after it sits for 4 hours.

·
Rural Legend
42 Posts
Yes, I have stocked it too. Best time to buy it of course is the fall...if you can wait. They discount it after Labor Day......just saying..

·
Spooky
1,698 Posts
Every so often my rain barrel gets to smelling swampy, so I give it a shot of calcium hypochlorite. That stuff is great. It's dirt cheap and plentiful and for my 50 gallon rain barrel it takes a tea spoon to get rid of the swamp smell. And that's probably overkill.

I'd keep it on hand for emergency drinking water sanitizing.

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
I heard you should NEVER use hydrogen peroxide for water purification. I read that years ago - something about how the human body breaks down hydrogen peroxide.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I heard you should NEVER use hydrogen peroxide for water purification. I read that years ago - something about how the human body breaks down hydrogen peroxide.
I don't use it here where I work but it looks like other places are using it. I just don't know enough about it to have an opinion on how to use it or measure it in the water.
http://www.lenntech.com/processes/disinfection/chemical/disinfectants-hydrogen-peroxide.htm
http://www.countrysidemag.com/issues/83/83-1/Countryside_Staff1.html

·
www.chemflame.com
1,174 Posts
I don't think Hemp is talking about purifing water with hydrogen perioxide. He is just saying that you can buy one gallon of the 35% at the pool store and then make 30 gallons of it, since the antiseptic kind has 3% and use it for medical purposes.

·
Spooky
1,698 Posts
I don't think Hemp is talking about purifing water with hydrogen perioxide. He is just saying that you can buy one gallon of the 35% at the pool store and then make 30 gallons of it, since the antiseptic kind has 3% and use it for medical purposes.
Now that I re-read the OP you're right. Still, H2O2 turns to water over time and the higher the concentration, the faster it does it. When I cut myself, I prefer H2O2 over alcohol for initial disinfection. It doesn't hurt as much and it fizzes, which I like for some reason. :D:

*edit* "When I cut myself" didn't sound right did it? I meant accidentally of course.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,157 Posts
I'm gonna look that one up. I'm curious now. Wasn't that long back that folks were recommending it internally to cure all sorts of things.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
Every so often my rain barrel gets to smelling swampy, so I give it a shot of calcium hypochlorite. That stuff is great. It's dirt cheap and plentiful and for my 50 gallon rain barrel it takes a tea spoon to get rid of the swamp smell. And that's probably overkill.

I'd keep it on hand for emergency drinking water sanitizing.
Would that do anything for killing mosquito larva?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts