Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Virginia Gov. McDonnell Brings Back Confederate Month After 8 Years
Gov. Bob McDonnell has brought Confederate History Month back to Virginia after an eight-year hiatus.
RICHMOND, Va. -- Gov. Bob McDonnell has brought Confederate History Month back to Virginia after an eight-year hiatus.

McDonnell becomes the first governor since 2001 to designate April to commemorate the secessionist, slaveholding South.

The last governor to do that was fellow Republican Jim Gilmore. Since then, Democrats Mark Warner and Tim Kaine refused to issue the proclamation.

McDonnell's 368-word declaration doesn't mention slavery.

"I wasn't focused on that. I was focused on ... the Civil War history, and the Confederate army and the fact that we've got battlefields here, and frankly that this is going to be a very important event here next year that will promote tourism and economic development," he said, noting the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War.
Warner, in his first year as governor in 2002, discontinued the proclamation sought each spring by the Sons of Confederate Veterans. Before that, the proclamations were met annually with denunciations from black groups.

Black members of the General Assembly, all Democrats, said McDonnell's proclamation was "ofensive and offered a disturbing revision of the Civil War and the brutal era that followed."

"Virginia has worked hard to move beyond the very things for which Gov. McDonnell seems nostalgic," said a statement issued by the Virginia Legislative Black Caucus.

Virginia was home to more of the war's battles than any other state, and its Capitol in Richmond doubled as the Confederate seat of government.

McDonnell said slavery was not the lone issue contested in the war that ended with Gen. Robert E. Lee's surrender in 1865 at Appomattox Court House, about 75 miles west of Richmond.

"There were any number of aspects to that conflict between the states. Obviously it involved slavery, it involved other issues, but I focused on the ones that I thought were most significant for Virginia," McDonnell said.

Former Gov. L. Douglas Wilder, who in 1989 became the nation's first elected black governor, said no discussion of the Old South or the Confederacy is balanced without mentioning the human bondage it tolerated.

"You have to think back about how it allowed people to be treated as inhuman," Wilder said in an Associated Press interview. "You can't talk about this nation, its past, without saying that war was a time when many of its people were going through the ravages of hell, quite frankly."

Wilder himself issued a decree noting the Civil War. In 1990, he designated April 7-15 the "Final Chapter of the Civil War Days," recalling "those who sacrificed in this great struggle." His proclamation praised Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, but it also lauded President Abraham Lincoln and Union Gen. Ulysses S. Grant.

Last year, Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue signed a bill designating April as Confederate Heritage and History Month in that state.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...xt+-+Politics)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

·
Premium Member
8,768 Posts
I am FFV and DAR. My family's history in Virginia goes back to Jamestown.
I am proud of my state's history and heritage.
You are from VA too? :D:

Actually this whole issue, along with current affairs, has made me want to do a little more Civil War study. It is hard to argue that the Civil War has not developed a connotation with slavery but the issues and politics surrounding the events leading up to the succession go much deeper and I want to know more. Hopefully this adorable inquisitive quality of mine will not go unnoticed by my fellow Virginian… ;)

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
January
Emancipation Day (African-American, United States)
February
National Black History Month (United States)

Mardi Gras (United States)(French)

March
St. Patrick's Day (Ireland, United States)
Greek-American Heritage Month
Irish-American Heritage Month

April
National Tartan Day (Scottish-American)

May
Jewish-American Heritage Month
Malcolm X's birthday (African-American, United States)

July
Fil-American Friendship Day (Phillippines, United States)

September
San Gennaro Day (Italian-American)

October
German-American Heritage Month
National Italian-American Heritage Month
Polish-American Heritage Month

NOVEMBER
National American Indian Heritage Month:D:

I know I missed a few especially the Muslim ones. So why not give it back ??

Reactions: KaBar67

·
Vampire Slayer
7,247 Posts

Actually this whole issue, along with current affairs, has made me want to do a little more Civil War study. It is hard to argue that the Civil War has not developed a connotation with slavery but the issues and politics surrounding the events leading up to the succession go much deeper and I want to know more. Hopefully this adorable inquisitive quality of mine will not go unnoticed by my fellow Virginian… ;)
I've already noticed some of your adorable qualities.:)

·
Registered
3,019 Posts

It's much easier for history to approve of going to War with your own people when historians tell of the evil slavers of the South, and leave out the rest of the details.

Today, it's generally accepted that Slavery is a bad thing, so it's a tidy answer to why they could justify invading and killing hundreds of thousands of their own. Back then, it was just one of many reasons, and people in the South had had enough from an overreaching Federal Government.

Don't get me wrong. The best thing that came out of the Civil War (in my opinion) was the end of slavery in the US. But a lot of bad followed that good act, and is swept under the rug to keep things tidy.

·
Board Supporter
2,049 Posts
I think it is wonderful! I am so sick of people trying to rewrite history or omit stuff that they don't like. History is history! It isn't a commentary on what is right or wrong ... it is a record of the facts as they happened. The phrase, "Those who do not learn from history, are destined to repeat it", is a very wise observation. When you ban the knowledge of what happened in a historical past, you take away the ability to learn from it.

Back in Egypt, the Israelites were slaves. The Native Americans were taken to Europe as slaves. The blacks were brought to America as slaves. In Europe, the common people were serfs and slaves. Every race of people have been used as slaves ... get over it! Because it isn't about whether slavery was right or wrong. It is about what happened. Learn the facts, understand how it happened and grow from the knowledge, because with knowledge, we can prevent it from ever happening again!

I am who I am today, because of the history I lived through. To take away any part of that history changes the person I have become. To take away any part of that history from a country, takes away from what is has become! Because of slavery ... and a lot of other issues ... a Civil War was fought on our soil. The country changed, and in so doing became the greatest, freest country in the world ... maybe we should be celebrating our past, because it lead us to a better place!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The fact is slaviery was net an issue of the civil war untill 1863. Lincoln need votes for the election so he freed the slaves. The civil war was fought over states rights. And it apperears that, that leason hasn't been learned by many people in this country, and I fear we are about to make the same mistakes that where made in the 1850's n 1860's. Fact is all 50 states should have month set aside for civil war remembrance. As it was not as some would have beleave it was in their minds.

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
It's good that we again have a governor who has a backbone and refuses to bow down to political correctness, way to go Gov. Bob McDonnell! :thumb:

My ancestors are from the north, Maine to be exact. And I have a distant, great, great, great, great, whatever relative who fought with the 20th Maine. But never for one millisecond did I ever believe that the Civil War was fought over slavery, it was a war over states rights. It was only because of lincolns politicizing slavery as the "cause" did it become so.

Again, kudos to you Gov. McDonnell, you'll have my vote again! :thumb:

III

"Obama, the skid-mark in the underwear of American history."
- J.R.L.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's good that we again have a governor who has a backbone and refuses to bow down to political correctness, way to go Gov. Bob McDonnell! :thumb:

My ancestors are from the north, Maine to be exact. And I have a distant, great, great, great, great, whatever relative who fought with the 20th Maine. But never for one millisecond did I ever believe that the Civil War was fought over slavery, it was a war over states rights. It was only because of lincolns politicizing slavery as the "cause" did it become so.

Again, kudos to you Gov. McDonnell, you'll have my vote again! :thumb:
Sigh - it is sad. I am not going to get into a debate with you about the relationship between slavery and the Civil War. I have already learned that is like ****ing in the wind on this forum. But - I will suggest you take a careful look at the clause our Governor added to recent his declaration of Confederate History Month.

WHEREAS, it is important for all Virginians to understand that the institution of slavery led to this war and was an evil and inhumane practice that deprived people of their God-given inalienable rights and all Virginians are thankful for its permanent eradication from our borders, and the study of this time period should reflect upon and learn from this painful part of our history.​

Here is one of the thousands of links you can find to this on the intertubes.

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmem...-proclamation-adds-slavery-clause.php?ref=fpa

But - please - don't let your ignorance of current events interfere with unshakable certainly with which you can comment on events of the 1860s.

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,126 Posts
I'm all for the hayseeds remembering what my great great grandfather and the Penn. Volunteers did to them.
And im all for us "hayseeds" remembering when JEB stuart went into Chambersburg and knocked some of those yankees around and took their stuff, and when Brig. Gen. John McCausland Had ther town burned to the ground!!

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
But - please - don't let your ignorance of current events interfere with unshakable certainly with which you can comment on events of the 1860s.
Tsk, tsk for the flame.....Another liberal for the ignore list! :thumb:

III

"Obama, the skid-mark in the underwear of American history."
- J.R.L.

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
People need to wake up. Google the words, "black confederate soldiers." You will be amazed what shows up under that topic. The Civil War was never about race UNTIL somebody needed an excuse. The truth is that there were quite a number of black men who served side-by-side with their white southern brothers to fight the invading Yankees. For many years down south black southerners who fought for the Confederacy were remembered and praised for their bravery and efforts.

Another group who have pretty much been forgotten has been the American Indians, like the Cherokees, who fought in the Civil War. Just about every tribe or Indian nation had people involved in the fighting and many died in the service of their chosen side. One of the commanding officers at Appomatox was a Seneca Indian from out of New York state. He served as an aide to General Grant and may have penned the surrender papers.

At Gettysburg there is even a southern monument dedicated to those brave black men who fought and died for their beliefs and the Confederacy.

Many of the black men who fought for the south were freemen or black men who had previously been given their freedom and still lived down south. There were even whole units of black soldiers, some organized into being before any northern black units were, but on a smaller scale. Where the Union formed regiments and brigades, Confederate units were formed on local levels and were smaller in size as in companies and battalions.

Northerners, and many black politicians, would love to cast these brave southern black men aside and pretend that they never existed but they do. And all southerners recognize these men as heroes. If you ever get the chance and you are down south, try to visit a family graveyard. A trip through a southern family graveyard tells the story of southerners better than anything. In a family graveyard you will find out that many black people are buried right along side the white members of a southern family. It is really a different world down there that northerners don't appreciate or understand. And words, like obligations, have a different meaning down south. Southerners often buried their friends, no matter their color, in their family plots because all those people in those plots were loyal to one another and it is an obligation to care for those who helped care for you. This is something that few northerners understand about the southerners, no matter which color they are.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.