Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just a little more.
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This looks like a common vine in my area, SE Louisiana, but I have never known it to have berries. Anyone know it’s name?

As you can see the berries very much resemble blackberries on the outside.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I use "plantsnap" on my phone. Take a picture of the leaves up close and the app will identify it. This looks like a vine that grows in Alabama. Does it have stickers or very small thorns on the vine? I've never id'ed it but it is more of a nuisance and not poisonous.

·
Just a little more.
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is the same one I am thinking of it has sporadic small thorns. My daughter sent me the pic so I do not have access to that particular vine. I’ll checkout plantsnap, thanks.

·
Just a little more.
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dixie Dude. I tried the app on a local example of what I thought it was and it appears to be a Round Leaf Green Briar. The berry cluster is what threw me off. Thanks again!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Ya, its green briar. It's quite common in Arkansas. The tubers, young leaves and shoots are edible. The berries are edible but said to be flavorless. This is according to guidebooks, I've never eaten it. The tubers can be processed into starch by slicing, drying for several days and then placing in a bowl of water. The starch will precipitate to the bottom of the bowl.

·
gard'ner
905 Posts
Good luck finding anything edible on those tubers... I've tried chopping them up and adding to water...

Picking the new greens in the spring is actually worth doing... although when I followed greene deans recipe for cooking them like asparagus... I wasn't happy. I'd as soon eat them raw.

The berries?
I've eaten them... didn't die... but... I wasn't impressed.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Good luck finding anything edible on those tubers... I've tried chopping them up and adding to water...

Picking the new greens in the spring is actually worth doing... although when I followed greene deans recipe for cooking them like asparagus... I wasn't happy. I'd as soon eat them raw.

The berries?
I've eaten them... didn't die... but... I wasn't impressed.
I also like the new Spring growth better raw.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As stated, common name is Greenbrier. Also known as cat's claw and a few other names. Back in my forestry days in the deep south my arms looked like I stuck them in a pillow case with a bunch of mad cats from the greenbrier -- the vegetation was so thick you just had to blow through.

There are several different species, but that looks like Smilax glauca. Only parts I've ever eaten are the new shoots when tender cause you can eat them raw, pretty bland though. Supposedly the leaves and roots are edible if you cook them, but I'd research that first.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,328 Posts
I've been pulling that crap out of the trees around the property, some of it a good 40 feet up. And yes my arms have scratches from wrist to shoulder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts