Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I had the urge to eat some Vienna sausage. So I grabbed a can from the preps, opened the can, then began to feast. Right off the bat I noticed the taste was different than I remember. This was a fresh can bought only a few months ago.

I keep my stockpile of Vienna sausage rotated by using them as trotline and noodle bait. During the winter we have a fish called a Bowfin that seems to love Vienna sausage. So I grab a few cans and over the course of several days use them to bait noodles. The bowfin are caught for sport and safely released.

Years ago I use to eat Vienna sausage on a regular basis as they were a mainstay on just about every hiking, and especially camping trips. I have no idea how many evenings my buddies and I ate ramen noodles and Vienna sausage on a camping trip as the sun settled down over the treeline.

The brand name I have been buying is is Armour.

Has anyone else noticed a taste change in Vienna sausage? I buy the low sodium, so maybe that is responsible for the taste difference? 20 years ago I would buy the regular Vienna sausage instead of the low sodium.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,897 Posts
They used to be pretty tasty when I was younger. Tried them a couple years ago and found they really were pretty bad. No idea what they did.

Another product I bought a big mess of as a prep 8 yrs ago was Prairie Belt sausages, which seems to be the same thing. I was expecting something like a normal breakfast sausage, but canned. Really nasty.

I suppose if I was hungry enough. And all animal life on Earth was gone. Maybe..

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,467 Posts
They've definitely changed the formula, just like most of the other staple canned foods. I thought maybe I wasn't buying the brand I used to like. So I started trying the different brands. They were all equally bad. I still put a few cans away, but they're not as useful as they used to be. If I have to smother something in BBQ sauce or hot sauce just to eat it, I'm just not that interested anymore. Same with today's sardines.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You have to dr. the Vienna sausage up now days to make it edible, a little ketchup, mayonnaise, or just black pepper. Back in the day you could take 2 cans hunting and stay in the woods all day, eat them plain out of the can

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,897 Posts
Did trans fat being taken out have anything to do with taste changes?
No. Trans fats are only produced by man artifically hydrogenating unsaturated fats.

The "pink slime" that is used to make these processed meat products is already fully saturated. animal fat trimmings from the cutting room floor, then washed in Ammonia to kill the bacteria. Only plant derived fats are unsaturated. When they are artificially saturated, 2 mirror image isomers are created, in a 50:50 ratio typically, a Cis and a Trans molecular orientation.

The Cis isomer is the orientation animals make and can use. Trans doesn't occur in nature and is treated as a foreign invasive substance, which triggers an immune response that includes clogging your arteries.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,802 Posts
I know here in Houston you can get the sausage in a sauce for a little bit more. Off hand I know they have a hot sauce sausage and a "Bourbon BBQ" one.

Reactions: MikeK and kev

·
Prepared
40 Posts
A few days ago I had the urge to eat some Vienna sausage. So I grabbed a can from the preps, opened the can, then began to feast. Right off the bat I noticed the taste was different than I remember. This was a fresh can bought only a few months ago.

I keep my stockpile of Vienna sausage rotated by using them as trotline and noodle bait. During the winter we have a fish called a Bowfin that seems to love Vienna sausage. So I grab a few cans and over the course of several days use them to bait noodles. The bowfin are caught for sport and safely released.

Years ago I use to eat Vienna sausage on a regular basis as they were a mainstay on just about every hiking, and especially camping trips. I have no idea how many evenings my buddies and I ate ramen noodles and Vienna sausage on a camping trip as the sun settled down over the treeline.

The brand name I have been buying is is Armour.

Has anyone else noticed a taste change in Vienna sausage? I buy the low sodium, so maybe that is responsible for the taste difference? 20 years ago I would buy the regular Vienna sausage instead of the low sodium.
Yes, the taste has changed.
Canning and preservation technology has changed a lot too.
(I worked summers in canning while going to school). In the past I had a small stock of Vienna Sausage and liked to use when cooking omelets. My mom would eat them out of the can. My dogs liked them too as a treat. I've never "stockpiled" them, which to me means a larger quantity than stocking and rotating. I have wheat "stockpiled" and dated for a FIFO rotation. Our vet reccomended carrots as a 'treat' for doggies, and some green beans in place of some commercial food for weight control! Both veggies really work, and the dogs love it!!! They coming begging for carrots around lunchtime.

I've also noticed similar taste changes with Spam which I stock, although I have started buying the lower sodium version which may also be a contributing factor...

·
Indefatigable
20,561 Posts
I have a pitbull who will crush your hand if you try and put a pill down him. I tried ALL the tricks. Finally I tried VS. Worked like a charm. So then I had to eat one. :xeye: I hadn't had one in 20 years, I don't know if they changed, or my taste buds did. I used to like spam too. Both were staples of childhood, now I could eat them in a bind but I really hope I don't have to.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
My DIL sent me some groceries which incude a pack of chopped ham slices. I dont want to hurt her feelings but it was lousy.

·
Off the leash
2,330 Posts
I think they've changed. And certainly not for the better. I used to crave them and be able to sit down and eat 2 or 3 cans at once. The last few cans of gotten in the last year or so just don't taste the same. Almost no flavor or just an odd one.

I have tried several brands and some are better than others, don't recall which is which right off as I haven't been buying them lately, but there are some I couldn't even stomach. The dogs ended up with them.

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
Todays canned Vienna sausage look & taste like pink slime.

We stopped stocking them & went with more canned Spam, ham, chicken, salmon, bologna, tuna & higher grade Norwegian type sardines, etc., etc.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,557 Posts
When I was a kid and times were tough my mom would make biscuits and gravy and use the prairie belt canned sausages in the gravy for flavor and to provide us some sort of meat. Fast forward 3o years and I happened to mention actually enjoying the mornings she cooked that, she went to the pantry and pulled out a can and made some right then. Still tasted the same to me. I’ve got 8 cans in my pantry right now, might make some for breakfast in the morning.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,218 Posts
Honestly they have always tasted like Frenchs yellow mustard to me.... I can say I've ever tried one not dipped in a heaping pile of mustard.
Chicago Style!

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,218 Posts
I think they removed some of the meat and increased the filler. The color is lighter than it used to be as well.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
The taste has changed since they ran out of Jimmy Hoffa.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Todays canned Vienna sausage look & taste like pink slime.

We stopped stocking them & went with more canned Spam, ham, chicken, salmon, bologna, tuna & higher grade Norwegian type sardines, etc., etc.
All the canning you do and you don't can meat!?!:confused::confused::confused:

There's pretty much no canned meat I buy as I can do it cheaper, and comparatively all the commercially canned meat tastes like dog food.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts