Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
alcohol prep pads will burn for maybe 20 or 30 seconds. These are really good to have in your pack, and their CHEAP - just find someone working of a doctor or at a hospital. This video was taken on a camping trip shonuff and I went on.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
yeah that's worth remembering. easy to pack.
so far I've been satisfied with cotton balls dipped in liquid paraffin, shake excess and lay on a pie pan to cool
sparker won't light 'em off though, but a hot flame for seveal minutes

·
Bushwacker
1,479 Posts
I use vasoline and cotton balls kinda like Marlin above me posted.

I tried doing the plastic straw trick where you stuff them, cut them, and melt the ends, but I had pretty bad luck with it. Maybe it was the lint mixture.
I bet if I left the lint out it would work better, but yeah these are great for if you find yourself in a damp area.
They (cotton + vasoline) give you enough heat to dry and burn wet leaves. This coming from exprience.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
yeah vaseline will do well I used them for some time - less trouble to make, but the paraffin soaked burns even longer.
small damp twigs or split larger peices (split w/knife) will lght off in a few minutes.

·
Tactical Medic
54 Posts
I have a seperate fire starting bad in my bob with matches,alcohol prep pads, a lighter and dryer lint as well as the old striker rod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts