Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I bought a military surplus patrol pack. Shortly after buying the patrol pack I posted a first impressions video.

Now I am posting a follow up review video. when I made the patrol pack follow up review video I did not realize I have had the pack for over a year.

So over the past year this has become one of my favorite backpacks for a dayhike. It has been taken on numerous hiking trips, and a couple of trips out on the boat.

If someone missed the Mountain House chicken and dumplings review - https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=895064

The patrol pack is the pack I had that day on the angelina river.

A year after that first review was posted here is the follow up review:

Outside pouch is large enough for:

• TOPO maps with GPS and compass
  • Bug spray
  • Rain poncho
  • Toilet paper

Main compartment is large enough for everything else:

• Stove
  • Fuel
  • Cookpot
  • Meal
  • Snacks

I wish the shoulder straps were replaceable, but the bottom section is sewn into the pack. It would have been nice if there was a D-ring for the bottom straps to attach to.

What would have been wonderful is if the patrol pack could have used ALICE straps. I do not understand why the military would design a pack where the straps are not replaceable.

Overall, the straps are the only thing I can find on the pack that I do not like.

·
Forum Administrator
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Scapegoat of the Universe
59 Posts
The pack is something I was told to call an assault pack. It was a modular piece off of the old mountain rucks (pre-cursor to modern MOLLE rucksacks). PITA then, with the too narrow straps with 30 lbs+ ammo/gear I had to carry. M249 SAW gunner.

Suggestion: get some ground pad foam (surplus), cut the shoulder pieces to LxW that would make it more comfortable. Zip strip/550 cord in place. It'll help that cutting-arms-off feeling.

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
Glad ya like it Kev. Having used that thing in the Army, I cant tell you how much I loathed it.

They are however a far step above the first Assault packs that came with the first generation of Mountain Rucks

·
Old Gezzer
2,485 Posts
Its number 5 in the first line of uploads
And tomorrow it might be 15, 37, or 213 from the top. And I still won't be sifting through his channel to find this video.

It must be really difficult to fix the broken coding for YouTube videos on this forum is all I have to say.

A while back Kev asked a question why he wasn't getting hits on his YouTube videos. Considering all the hoops and loops one has to go through to view the vid in this thread just might be one of the reasons he is not getting the viewership he is desiring.

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
And tomorrow it might be 15, 37, or 213 from the top. And I still won't be sifting through his channel to find this video.

It must be really difficult to fix the broken coding for YouTube videos on this forum is all I have to say.

A while back Kev asked a question why he wasn't getting hits on his YouTube videos. Considering all the hoops and loops one has to go through to view the vid in this thread just might be one of the reasons he is not getting the viewership he is desiring.
Serioulsly??? Its THAT hard for you to read possibly 10 to 15 titles on the videos to figure out which one it is. Might take up to 30 seconds of your life. GOD FORBID. If youre THAT close to death, you dont need to be reading about survival. You need to be looking at cemetery plots.

·
Old Gezzer
2,485 Posts
Serioulsly??? Its THAT hard for you to read possibly 10 to 15 titles on the videos to figure out which one it is. Might take up to 30 seconds of your life. GOD FORBID. If youre THAT close to death, you dont need to be reading about survival. You need to be looking at cemetery plots.
I am not surprised or even bothered by your response. It is typical for low achievers to settle for mediocrity.

Some of us have been around here long enough to remember the good old days when everything worked here on the forum and kudos to Kev for those times.

But just for you they are running a special, just click on the classifieds button on the top of the forum and wait for the page to load to claim your prize.

And have a great day!

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
I am not surprised or even bothered by your response. It is typical for low achievers to settle for mediocrity.

Some of us have been around here long enough to remember the good old days when everything worked here on the forum and kudos to Kev for those times.

But just for you they are running a special, just click on the classifieds button on the top of the forum and wait for the page to load to claim your prize.

And have a great day!
No you were flat out being lazy.

Kev is pretty busy running a homestead, making videos AND this website. And he does a pretty good job of it, so I'll give him some slack for his mediocrity of having not fixed the code yet

1 - 19 of 19 Posts