Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is really me with my daypack. Look at my avatar, see the pack on my back, its the same one in as in this video. This video was not rehearsed, my son and I just grabbed the camera, my pack and did this video. The video was just uploaded to youtube, so it might take a little while before its ready.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Thanks, Kev.
You're getting good at this video stuff and it is a big help, in getting the point.
One thing I keep in every pack, I have is bug spray.
It can be a looong day/night w/o it!

·
Forum Administrator
16,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dang it, I knew I was forgetting something.

This coming weekend, I am going to take a bunch of pictures and some more videos. The next video I have in mind is a basic introduction to navigation with a compass and GPS.

Right now I can think of two things I forgot - the bug spray and some kind of snacks. Instead of having to open the HDR, I need something like sunflower seeds, or beef jerky as a snack.

As you see that video is really how I keep my day pack at all times. Nothing was added just for this video.

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
I liked this video. Many "casual" hikers don't realize what they should / shouldn't take with them on a trip. A nice bit of advice, though I would also strongly stress buying a good backpack / waist pouch for the trip.

However I myself tend to bring along a few less high tech items as I enjoy relying on my survival techniques. I think I may have to follow your great advice you are giving Kev (which happens to be my name as well by the way) and get a camera so I can record some of my trips and advice.

If you do any long backpacking trips (7 days or more) in rugged country (mountains, desert, deep forests, etc) miles away from civilization I would love to see what you take on those kinds of trips.

Note: There is no "right" or "wrong" way to adventure. Every person has their own way of enjoying the outdoors. Hopefully by learning and listening to those on this board we can all improve upon ourselves and our survival techniques.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Bonus points for mentioning LNT guidelines.

Might also add a backpackers trowel. You might not have to dig a hole to go in.

I buy Alcohol prep pads by the box at Walgreens. They are good for a lot of stuff as well as firestarting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts