Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Fools.

First of all, not the birds fault.
Second of all, they probably trained/hunted that bird on kills in that EXACT SAME AREA.
Third of all, her hair is what it went after, if she had been bald, it wouldn't have happened, if she had a racoon cap on, or a fur coat, it would have been worse.
Fourth of all, why would they allow a little girl to wander around in an obvious training area/KILLING GROUND?

Nothing but irresponsible handlers, complacency...

I remember on day after a meet, we all went to dinner. When we came out, one of the guys birds had escaped his jesses in his suburban. That bird had completely stripped his wife's faux fur coat of every bit of fur.

I have hunted goldens and every other kind of raptor. Situational awareness is paramount to avoid unwanted and dangerous situations. Would they have let her roam around in the field if they were hunting big cats instead of eagles? Doubt it...

Could have been allot worse. That fast transfer to the glove saved her from certain, permanent damage. Good thing that falconer had a handful of bloody meat on hand instead of just a lure or a leg.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I have held a Harris Hawk and it was enlightening. My respect for the big birds is immense. Between their keen eyesight and powerful talons and beak I am amazed they are as "easy" to handle as they are.

People are so dense when it comes to animals, domestic or wild. We can easily be looked at as prey. Short of force multipliers, were realisticly quite easy prey.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I have held a Harris Hawk and it was enlightening. My respect for the big birds is immense. Between their keen eyesight and powerful talons and beak I am amazed they are as "easy" to handle as they are.

People are so dense when it comes to animals, domestic or wild. We can easily be looked at as prey. Short of force multipliers, were realisticly quite easy prey.
You mean like this one?

One of my old "crews". She was a slaughter house on wings and the little devil dog was pure hell in the briars. . One of my best teams/cast's.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Yes. One of the things that struck me is how the bird looks you right in the eye. Sitting on my arm, knowing the bird could break said arm....humbling.
saln, do you have multiple birds? Do they hunt exclusively to feed? (Sorry for thread derail.)

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Yes. One of the things that struck me is how the bird looks you right in the eye. Sitting on my arm, knowing the bird could break said arm....humbling.
saln, do you have multiple birds? Do they hunt exclusively to feed? (Sorry for thread derail.)
They hunt exclusively to feed ME. They get a leg, brains, etc.

Both the falconer and the parents (probably one of the same) are at fault in that disaster. I can just see the falconer saying how smart his bird is and how she wont attack someone she knows... One thing I know for sure, if a wild, untrained, hag golden binds to you, you better dig a deep hole. Before it's over, one of you will be in it.

My old eagle hunting days are on 8mm film or I would try to post something, if I could even find them. I do have some analog trapping/banding videos saved to disk, somewhere... Took me for ever just to find that pic of the team.

I could tell hunting stories till the end of time, many, many years spent hunting these birds.

I never welcomed an audience, too much liability. Wild animals are and will ALWAYS BE wild, no room for stupid people in that fold.

Back on topic.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Anyone who has any doubts about the what was said earlier watch this video. Those are some magnificent beasts.

That Red Tail got swapped out for a Goshawk on the tree rat kill... Wonder how many catch that switch a roo... Not that RT's cant take squirrls, had one that took 37 in as many days.

Buddy of mine set this slip up years ago, the humane -e- acks about drove him to the grave for it, how cruel, they cried...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts