Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get my mom and dad to be more survivalist without realizing it. I am helping my dad in getting a flower garden for the spring and planting it with edible flowers.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm

And Trying to get her to start a victory garden. [She use to grow tomato plants.] I have suggested planting tomatoes, onions, potatoes,corn, and last year we had some wild watermelons! I am wondering what would be good to add to the garden that you can use in multiple meal plans and can be harvested more than once.

I have also suggested to my dad to plant an apple tree but that will probably fall through. So any help is appreciated.

We live in a suburban community. So no chickens, goats, or other stuff like that.

thanks, LH4

·
homesteader
227 Posts
Okiepoke beat me to the peas and beans. Also, there's a few varieties of fruit tree in dwarf form that do pretty well in containers so if you can't convince them to "plant" a fruit tree, why not gift them one in a container? Blueberry can also be container grown as well as strawberry. Add carrots, radish, cucumber and squash to the mix, multiple pickings from those as well. Don't forget the garlic!

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
How about some other fruits that don't take up much space.
Such as Rhubarb, Blackcurrent, Raspberries, Strawberries.
Or for vegetables try beans, tomatoes, potatoes and onions.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
I am wondering what would be good to add to the garden that you can use in multiple meal plans and can be harvested more than once.
One example is perennial (don't die at the end of the growing season) herbs such as rosemary, thyme, oregano, etc. These and other lasting herbs give so much more flavour to your cooking and offer healthy anti-oxidants.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Artichokes look great in the landscape and come back for many years in zones 6+.

I second the herb motion. They are great and can squeeze in anywhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts