Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
soldier of misfortune
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, ive been reading reviews on them, and some buddies on another forum are trying their damndest to convince me to try some. has anyone else tried em.
so they seem to be good for hiking, mountain climbing, water, and even yoga!!! (sarcasm)
anyone got any personal experience with them.

www.vibramfivefingers.com

·
Live Clean, Fight dirty
1,377 Posts
so, ive been reading reviews on them, and some buddies on another forum are trying their damndest to convince me to try some. has anyone else tried em.
so they seem to be good for hiking, mountain climbing, water, and even yoga!!! (sarcasm)

Hey I think they are kinda cool.:thumb: Got a price on them? Must be somewhat new I haven't ever seen them before.

·
Lightning
234 Posts
I've owned three pairs.

The first pair was a standard KSO model. After that I got the blue "sprints", which I like a lot for working out and such.

The final brown "kso treks" are my favorite pair. For such a minimal shoe, they are built like a brick $hit house. Made almost entirely of tear resistant kangaroo leather (no joke, these are kangaroo shoes), I am confident they will hold up for quite some time.

They also have a slightly thicker sole and can handle most anything you will step on with a shoe, short of an upright nail.

The Treks are also water resistant and do not absorb much at all. If it's below 40 degrees though, don't count on that to keep your feet warm and get some over shoes from Amazon.

I also have a long post about why these shoes rock on my blog

http://www.thedreamlounge.net/2009/...proper-footwear-vibram-five-fingers-included/

·
End of the Roader
226 Posts
If you can bend your toes, I'd have to pass.

I use to walk for a living as a Backcountry Ranger with the NPS, and if you walk on sharp rocks all day (in the mountains) or across thorns (desert), you'd best have real shoes, preferably with heavy leather, otherwise your feet are going to be trashed... and having blown my feet a few times, I can tell you, walking without feet is difficultsome.

Even plodding around the farm, I'd have to have something that'll stop a thorn, a nail, tack, wire, glass....

·
Lightning
234 Posts
Treks will stop anything short of an upright nail - including thorns and glass. Even the other models will stop glass no problem (tested this myself while running long distance). In the case of an upright nail though, I don't think it's going to matter much what kind of shoe you are wearing unless they have 3 inch soles.

To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
914 Posts

I used to run barefoot and always wanted something like this to go running with. I'll have to buy some eventually.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I have a pair they are awsome there like wearing moccasins but with a rubber sole stead of leather I use em hunting because of the way tere made you can feel what your walking on and quietly stalk the game instead of just noisily plodding through the woods but the rubber also protects your feet from all sorts of nasty things that you can happen uppon I highly recomend them

·
Registered
320 Posts
I highly suggest hitting up the REI used gear sales if you're planning to buy some of these. Each gear sale I've been to in the last year, I've found at least 2 or 3 pairs of these. They all seem to be there for the same reason too; the fabric/neoprene tears away from the soles onthe outside edges of the big and little toes. I bought a pair for $15.00 (virtually brand new), and just used a needle and some thread to fix them.

They look retarded, but are crazy comfortable!

·
Veteran 11BC2/EOD
2,021 Posts
If you think they will stop a thorn, you have led a sheltered life. Ive pulled the thorns out here out of 6 ply, 1 ton truck tire sidewall from the inside, and had the same thorns go through a vibram boot sole.

If you plan on staying indoors, I imagine they are great. My bet is also on you getting frostbite quick.

As far as stalking on a hunt, I bet they are better than just a wool sock, they would be ok for that but without boots to put on when you arent stalking, you are in the wind.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just got my KSO's a few days ago. It's funny how people will say 'you NEED real shoes' but last time I checked we weren't born with shoes on so technically shoes are unnatural. I've read that they stimulate muscle growth in parts of your foot that otherwise would be weak since normal shoes are so rigid.

If I had to gather my stuff right now and gtfo, these shoes would be on my feet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.